2024 Kotz caribou results?

TX338

FNG
Anybody have or heard any August success coming out of Kotz this season?
Headed up Sept 5…

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Also interested?

ETA: Particularly interested if anyone has been on state land in 23.

Last edited:
I am eagerly awaiting some firsthand accounts- sounds like there’s been several SOS’s into Barrow from guys north of the range not being picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
I am eagerly awaiting some firsthand accounts- sounds like there’s been several SOS’s into Barrow from guys north of the range not being picked up.

Where did you catch wind of these SOS calls? Any other details?

OP
T

TX338

FNG
Just got a call from Arctic Air/Unguided Alaska. They are moving all remaining 2024 hunts based out of Fairbanks. Weather and flooding around Kotz given as the reason. Hunting now in 25A. Just got my flights changed. More to come I am sure.

Last edited:

2PBC22

FNG
Just got a call from Arctic Air/Unguided Alaska. They are moving all remaining 2024 hunts based out of Fairbanks. Weather and flooding around Kotz given as the reason. Hunting now in 25A. Just got my flights changed. More to come I am sure.

Might turn out to be a good thing. Talked to someone today that saw tons of Caribou in 25A (had flown out of Fort Yukon though). Asking around, I haven’t heard of much success in 26A though. I assume that’s where Arctic Air was flying?

Where did you catch wind of these SOS calls? Any other details?

Know some guys in the SARS programs around the state and they had told me. Just sounded like some horseshit weather up there and people were stuck on the north side for 5-7 days and gave up on waiting

TurkeyReaper69

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I am flying to Kotz Thursday. Haven't heard anything from Ram about these issues.

Any updates?

OP
T

TX338

FNG
No update from Arctic Air, other than my group is now flying out of Fairbanks in 9 days. Fingers crossed, rolling dice and going for it. Might be a sh$t show…

z987k

WKR
Might turn out to be a good thing. Talked to someone today that saw tons of Caribou in 25A (had flown out of Fort Yukon though). Asking around, I haven’t heard of much success in 26A though. I assume that’s where Arctic Air was flying?
I figured 25A would get hammered eventually with the Kotz closures.

TurkeyReaper69

Lil-Rokslider
You back out of the field yet, TurkeyReaper?
Got out last night. Was delayed one day due to weather.

Our group went 2/3, was an awesome experience. Had a grizzly in camp about every night that got my caribou. Thankfully another group was dropped on same ridge and they had a bear fence so one bou worth of meat made it out with us.

I'll post pics to the meatpole once I get them from others in my party.