2024 float hunt

KU_Geo

WKR
Heading on a float hunt this year and question about dry bags. What have folks found to be the best setup for a few dry bags? Currently have a 75l yeti panga as my main dry bag for clothing/sleep kit, but wondering about what might be a good day bag size just to keep a few supplies in that I need throughout the day and to use hiking around some.

AKDoc

WKR
Regarding your question about "a good dry bag size...", that answer will vary based on personal preferences and trip specifics, e.g., number of days you're floating, the volume of gear/supplies you want to bring, raft size and weight distribution options, pick-up and drop-off logistics, etc., etc., etc....all of which will answer your question of bag sizes to bring for your float.

A few additional thoughts (from a guy who is admittedly extra cautious :ROFLMAO:)
  • All of my gear that is absolutely needed on the float are in submersible dry bags (not simply dry bags)...only my food (freeze dried stuff) is in a dry bag (roll-top waterproof bag). I have a couple SealLine zippered/submersible bags for gear and clothing (70L and 100L)...my sleeping bag and clothing items are additionally in various waterproof dry bags inside those submersible bags. Flipping a raft can happen...I've flipped mine only once and everything stayed dry and ended well, thankfully.
  • For my electronics, first aid kit, and other gear items that are essential for me, I have a couple of Watershed submersible bags that I bring...and those are totally bomb-proof.
  • NRS straps and carabineers are also on my most valuable gear list for floats...and a couple of contractor bags to use as needed (like my rain soaked tent, so it doesn't get everything else wet that's inside the submersible bag.
The very best to you for a wonderful adventure...float trips up here are my favorite!

[mention]AKDoc [/mention] can you clarify submersible vs not? I have dry bags.. they’ve always been fine but I haven’t dunked them? Are submersibles always zippered? Or does it just need to explicitly state submersible or waterproof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolson

FNG
Sealline has a decent backpack. I have two of the day pack ones from about 6 years ago. I wouldn’t want to carry much of a load but they do a good job on previous trips I’ve done. I think they are around 20liters

AKDoc

WKR
[mention]AKDoc [/mention] can you clarify submersible vs not? I have dry bags.. they’ve always been fine but I haven’t dunked them? Are submersibles always zippered? Or does it just need to explicitly state submersible or waterproof

If the dry bag is submersible, it will be specified and detailed in the product description or tech spec's. A couple of examples are below:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you want the best, watershed is the only way to go. They are well worth the $$$.

My personal preference is to keep camp gear and stuff I wont need during the day in my watershed bags and then I have a cheaper koyukon bag with a zipper I keep things I may want quick access to. The watershed dry bags have roll tops which make them slow to get in and out of. In my zippered bag, I keep food, kill kit, rain gear etc.

the yeti zippers are a weak point,I have broke to many in bad places.
nrs and watershed have the best bags. bills bags from nrs have been the gold standard for multiday trips for decades.

If you want the best, watershed is the only way to go. They are well worth the $$$.

My personal preference is to keep camp gear and stuff I wont need during the day in my watershed bags and then I have a cheaper koyukon bag with a zipper I keep things I may want quick access to. The watershed dry bags have roll tops which make them slow to get in and out of. In my zippered bag, I keep food, kill kit, rain gear etc.

I kind of figured I’d go with a moderate size watershed bag for my sleeping bag & clothes/any needs to be dry survival gear.. otherwise I am not necessarily going to be floating every year (as much as I’d like to) so don’t want to shell out for every most expensive dry bag.

Still trying to determine what extra gear I need separate from my base camp or back pack gear. Looking forward to it, first time moose float. Unfortunately only 5-7 hunting days so shorter than ideal but better than nothing.

We take all our camping gear, food, and whatever other supplies besides personal gear in 3 Sea to Summit hydraulic dry packs. They’re heavy duty (600D waterproof TPU) roll top dry bags that have shoulder straps and hip belts that adjust from 35-120L. 100% waterproof and submersible. Makes packing up and moving very simple and easy, everything stays fully dry, and rafts stay clutter free.

Last edited:
Ive got 6 moose hunt float trips under my belt, and Ive learned my lessons on dry bags. The first year , I used a northface duffel that I believed to be a dry bag, that was sold to me as being such. It wasnt. It was torrential downpour to start the trip, and the raft had a wet bottom. All my gear was completely submerged, food, everything. My own inexperience, my own fault. The first few days were not the most fun, but thats why I use a synthetic bag on a river trip. Since then, Ive invested in Watershed bags, and keep my sleeping bag in a dry compression bag, extra clothes too. The Watershed bags are fantastic, the rubber zip lock closure can be a pain on really cold mornings with cold hands, but they are durable, and have a bunch of different sizes. I use a duffel back back and the largest duffel they have to put all other food and gear into, makes it easy to get on bush planes. They also make a rifle dry bag thats pretty sweet, if your gun has a wood stock.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I believe I demonstrated what gear I packed in which drybag on this video somewhere. Maybe this will help get ya pointed in that direction? If not, i'm sure my other 70 videos on that Youtube channel will hit the spot.