2024 Elk Meat Transport Strategy

fatlander

WKR
Punching 3 tags in 10 days is a good problem to have.

Flying it, it’s got to be frozen on the way home. Flying it by yourself is going to be dumb expensive.

Maybe consider going over to the moose forum and looking into air cargo. Much cheaper option but it’s going to take some time on the back end logistically.

I think there’s an option you left out that makes the most sense to where I’m at in my life. Everyone is different, though.

Book a round trip plane ticket, rent a truck for your time there. Rent the smallest car you can fit (make sure it’s international airport to international airport to avoid the drop fee) your meat and gear in. Drive home straight through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
IF I drive, I could absolutely do that. But, I'm a 20 hour drive away from my hunt area if I drove straight there, so I'm considering flying to maximize hunt time. Sorry if I wasn't clear...but I'm debating flying vs driving, and if I fly, how to get meat home.
I have never flown for a hunting trip. But I have driven solo on a few, but only 12 hour stints.

I would be hesitant in handing my meat to the airlines. Not only damaging packaging, but losing or it getting lost.

If you are short on time, I would try to extend your vacation by one day, or if you need it at the end, ask for forgiveness.

You can be tired when you get to your hunting spot. But in my experience, you'll be jacked up and forget about being tired. You have plenty of time to recover before next year.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

88man

FNG
If I am understanding the question/question s
All this for moral support with many many trips 1900 miles plus one way
> you need a truck and or a trailer
> 120 to 150 qt cooler for your boned out elk
> 48 to 54 qt cooler for elk cape
> 100 qt cooler for the deer meat
> 48 qt cooler for deer cape
> I always freeze block ice, 1 gallon and even 2.5 gallon containers
> keep meat dry! on block ice and dry ice, in a semi frozen state or frozen
> cool meat down before you put it in the coolers
> you will be good for over 3 weeks
> just plan ahead where you can get the dry ice
> keep capes in their own coolers!
> you will need at a minimum 70qt for capes and 225qts capacity for meat and block ice

NICKJ

WKR
Deer are easy to fly with if you can get a nonstop flight. No way I would try to fly with what you are hoping to kill.

Attachments

• IMG_7209.jpeg
    IMG_7209.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 22
I ship meat air cargo with American Airlines Cargo in coolers. They ship fresh or frozen meat. I always freeze for safety in case flights are delayed till next day. Ships on passenger planes, arriving same day.You have to apply to get a shipping license with an individual airline and your license is only good for that airline. TSA has to approve you to become a "known shipper"! I applied online, TSA called, asked a few questions, approved my application, and issued my PAL number. I shipped my brother's deer meat in December 2023. $95 for up to a 70 pound cooler. Higher weight tier is an additional $60.

southLA

WKR
I drive almost that far from LA, did it myself last year. Leave at 4am or so and get there at about 10. Usually stay at hotel first night to recover. It wasn't terrible there, back was worse.

JNDEER

WKR
I fly to hawaii frequently and bring back 100-150lb of meat.

Flying and bringing back lbs of meat is not easy or recommended. Logistics of your gear and weapon and expectations you can bring back all the meat from your elk and deer is a stretch. Even with 4 bags and a carry on cooler backpack you won’t get a decent size bull back.

If flying is your final decision they make good cooler backpacks as well as cooler tote bags. I have put about 60lb in the backpack- but it’s heavy walking around the airport. A good tote is 5lb- so you can expect 42-44 lb of meat in each unless you want to pay the overweight fee. I would take the animals to a processor so they packaging for flight is simple and the meat will be super froze. Make sure to fly in the evening home to ensure time to pick up meat and get to the airport.

Huntnnw

WKR
Id be driving, not hassling with airlines and everything involved with flying meat, rentals and firearms. No thanks. 20 hours isnt that far

Looked at that briefly, but the first quote with hertz was $1400.... just looked with Avis, and it was about $400...which could be attractive. Now there is an option 4!
Look at a one way uhaul, will be a lot cheaper than any other rental places. I would just drive, but if you want the best of both worlds, fly out, get one way uhaul back. I’ve done it that way and about any other you could imagine.
Flying with 200+ lbs of meat is a pain. I’ve done it several times and it’s always a bit of a rodeo. Also consider what air travel has become. My last 5-6 flights out of 10 have had major delays or been cancelled all together with rebooking taking 2 or more days.

Elkhntr08

WKR
One thing I don’t see factored in is the airline issues. Your short 4 hour flight can quickly turn into a 2 day nightmare. You could easily have to spend the night somewhere with your meat thawing in baggage storage.
No way I would fly to a hunt in North America. Drove 22 hours by myself to Saskatchewan a month ago for a bear hunt. 2 1/2 days there, 1 1/2 back. Meat and hide made it just fine.

Fullfan

WKR
It is 2200 miles one way for us. Three of us drive one truck towing a 24' enclosed trailer. We take 3 freezers w us. several years ago w killed 8 bulls and butchered them ourselves. Freezers are kept running w a small Honda generator, or at least 3-5 hours a day. Elk meat is always still frozen when we arrive home.

The other guys that hunt always fly. The last 2 years we have had the room, we brought elk meat home for a fella that lives about 2 hours for me. Him and his sons fly out and back.

roymunson

WKR
I'm actually looking forward to a 30 hour drive next year from NE Ohio to western Wyoming.

I'll be bringing gear from Ohio for a buddy and his dad, then meet them there. me, the road, napping when I want.. Bring it out.

Dking

FNG
Lots of threads about this over the years, but they seem dated OR focus on something trivial like 50 lbs of meat.

I'm looking for the best way to get ~200lbs of bull elk + ~100 lbs of deer meat (1 buck & 1 doe) from MT to AZ . ~14 day long adventure (doorstep to doorstep). Good problem to have....but it is a problem that (hopefully) needs to be solved!

Am I missing any better options? (I'll worry about the antlers later...I have friends who can hold them for me).

1) Drive
I was originally planning on driving. Would love to have my (very off-road capable) jeep truck up there for hunting and meat hauling, but also would prefer to spend more time in the mountains chasing deer & elk than on the freeway. Its a minimum of 20 hours of drive...each way...so probably 3-4 of my 14 days not spent in the woods.

Transport Cost: 2800 miles / ( 16 MPG ) * $4.5 /gallon + $400 for hotel and meals = $1188
Travel Opportunity Cost Factor : (4 Travel Days / 14 Total Days + 1) = 1.28
Factored Transport Cost: $1520

2) Fly & Ship Meat

Fly there, ship back via fedex 2-day air. Both of the two travel days are considered lost days. Using the fedex.com shipping calculator for 6 -50 lb, 15x15x15 boxes of frozen solid meat.... is $2,370.42...ouch.
Transport Cost: $728 airfare + $2,370.42 shipping.
Travel Opportunity Cost Factor : 2/14 + 1.0 = 1.14
Factored Transport Cost: $3541

3) Fly & Check Meat, & Mail Luggage

Fly. Check 4-50 lb meat bags, carry another 50lbs on my back. Delta has a limit of 4 checked bags per passenger on "Delta Connection" flights, so I'll have to come up with a plan for the remaining 50lbs of meat (give it away, beg to check another bag...have it turned into jerky and shipped, etc). My $728 airfare includes 1 checked bag already. The second one will cost me $45. Third...$150, and fourth...$200. Shipping 50 lbs of gear/luggage back via ups ground is ~$150, per their calculator.

Transport Cost: $728 airfare + ($0 + $45 + $150 + $200) baggage + $150 shipping = $1,123
Travel Opportunity Cost Factor : 2/14 + 1.0 = 1.14
Factored Transport Cost: $1451

Per this calculus (algebra technically) & opportunity cost model....Option 3 appears to be the right option. With the flying option, I'm clearly neglecting the need to rent a truck, that would increase the costs and tip the scales (with this model) towards driving. I'm neglecting that because there is a good chance I wont need to rent a truck ( i have friends & family).

What are y'alls thoughts? Am I missing better options or mis-evaluating my known options?
I would definitely drive. Gives me more options.

Hunter456

FNG
We are in the same situation. Believe we have decided to drive (28hrs) this year. Not having to worry about where you are taking your rental vehicle, control of the meat & extra room for a few comforts of home at the truck have convinced us to go this route.