2024 co elk recaps

Jethro

WKR
Well this is frustrating. I won't say the unit but it might not be hard to guess. My first choice took 6 points to draw last year, and I had 6. I assumed point creep might be a risk but somehow I did not draw, but the recap says somebody with 5 points got a tag. (As well as one with 6 but not me obviously.) How?
Have you figured out what went down with your situation?

taskswap

WKR
Well this is frustrating. I won't say the unit but it might not be hard to guess. My first choice took 6 points to draw last year, and I had 6. I assumed point creep might be a risk but somehow I did not draw, but the recap says somebody with 5 points got a tag. (As well as one with 6 but not me obviously.) How?
I know the answer, and y'all might like to know, too. It's such an obscure, only-in-Colorado thing that I never realized it. Maybe you didn't either.

Coloado has a HYBRID DRAW. The recaps do NOT say what "Drawn out at" levels were triggered by. The GMU I went for didn't "go at 6 points" as I had previously assumed because... that's what the reports said. It's actually 15+. Every year as some past hacky way to fix point-creep in the most premium areas (fail) they made this hybrid draw system.

Read the brochure for the full description, but for a small pile of semi- and premium hunt codes, 20% of the licenses are set aside (res and non-res) and if you have at least 5 PPs already you get a straight good-luck chance at those. You burn your points either way but you have SOME (20%) shot at picking up any 10+ point unit no matter how many points you actually have, just by making it first-choice.

This was not clear to me.

I know the answer, and y'all might like to know, too. It's such an obscure, only-in-Colorado thing that I never realized it. Maybe you didn't either.

Coloado has a HYBRID DRAW. The recaps do NOT say what "Drawn out at" levels were triggered by. The GMU I went for didn't "go at 6 points" as I had previously assumed because... that's what the reports said. It's actually 15+. Every year as some past hacky way to fix point-creep in the most premium areas (fail) they made this hybrid draw system.

Read the brochure for the full description, but for a small pile of semi- and premium hunt codes, 20% of the licenses are set aside (res and non-res) and if you have at least 5 PPs already you get a straight good-luck chance at those. You burn your points either way but you have SOME (20%) shot at picking up any 10+ point unit no matter how many points you actually have, just by making it first-choice.

I'm glad you followed up with an explanation; I was curious about your situation.

I understand your disappointment, but—trying not to sound too harsh here—that's on you. No one should think 6 pts is a guarantee to draw one of the most coveted elk tags in Colorado. The "drawn out at" level (i.e., tags awarded via preference point, not those awarded randomly as part of the hybrid allotment) for every elk tag on the hybrid list is in the double digits. In the recap report, when you see a majority of tags drawn at the upper end of the point pool with a smattering of successful applicants at lower point levels, that indicates a hybrid draw tag.

Also, I don't think Colorado is entirely unique in this regard; I believe some other states use hybrid draws with a percentage of tags set aside for the highest point holders and the rest awarded via random draw.

cnelk

WKR

You do realize that a NonRes has never drawn a Hybid tag

ckleeves

WKR
The recap “Drawn out at” does NOT include the hybrid draw. Here is a screenshot:8AD59AB1-7290-4D8A-A3EC-8479D7C1D2B2.jpeg
As you can see it took 16 as a res to swim in the high points pool (drawn out at) but 2 lucky dudes drew with 6 in the Hybrid but the recap only shows them in the “Post draw successful” section.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A few years back my buddy applied for a tag with 7 points and didn't draw. But 13 guys drew with 6 points. He still has never gotten a logical explanation as to why that happened. The stats even show that there was one guy with 7 points that applied that didn't draw.....for whatever reason. It even shows there was a guy with 10 that didn't draw. SMH
IMG_0436.JPG

Hnthrdr

WKR
A few years back my buddy applied for a tag with 7 points and didn't draw. But 13 guys drew with 6 points. He still has never gotten a logical explanation as to why that happened. The stats even show that there was one guy with 7 points that applied that didn't draw.....for whatever reason. It even shows there was a guy with 10 that didn't draw. SMH
View attachment 727372
That’s a real head scratcher…

taskswap

WKR
I'm glad you followed up with an explanation; I was curious about your situation.

I understand your disappointment, but—trying not to sound too harsh here—that's on you. No one should think 6 pts is a guarantee to draw one of the most coveted elk tags in Colorado. The "drawn out at" level (i.e., tags awarded via preference point, not those awarded randomly as part of the hybrid allotment) for every elk tag on the hybrid list is in the double digits. In the recap report, when you see a majority of tags drawn at the upper end of the point pool with a smattering of successful applicants at lower point levels, that indicates a hybrid draw tag.

Also, I don't think Colorado is entirely unique in this regard; I believe some other states use hybrid draws with a percentage of tags set aside for the highest point holders and the rest awarded via random draw.
I never thought it was a guarantee. I wasn't even complaining about it. Just confused, wondering what I had missed, and posting about it as general conversation. I'm not even disappointed - I have a homestead to work on, and if I was going to miss, this was the perfect year to do it. I was just confused and musing about it out loud here. I assumed it was point creep, but two tags were drawn with fewer points than I had.

Thanks for the life tips, though. You're a saint for caring so much. A bit condescending. But thanks anyway.

10ringer

WKR
View attachment 727372

Maybe the non-resident allocation for that unit was reached before your buddy and the guy with 10pts were considered. Then 13 residents with 6points drew. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk