2024 Blacktail bucks

limpet

FNG
That’s really awesome, congrats!

Crazy cool buck limpet
Thank you. It’s pretty cool. She spotted this buck last year while we were backpacking which lead to us hunting this spot this year. She also spotted him for the shot. I gave her a dope for her rifle and we moved to some rocks so she could shoot uphill to him. It wasn’t a great position as far as comfort and she had to shoot sitting. He was working across a face I’m guessing to his all day bed and only stopped for a couple seconds quartering to us pretty hard. I told her to put it right on just shoulder and squeeze it off if she was comfortable. A split second later the rifle went off and I saw the impact exactly where I wanted it. He did a stumble run downhill 20-30 yards stopped as she was racking and finding him again. At this point the dog runs in front of the rifles so she grabs her collar and yanks her back in time for me to see him tip over maybe 10 seconds after the shot if that. It was a pretty cool experience for both of us. When we were cleaning him she decided she wants a shoulder mount so I caped him out and she carried the head cape and hams while I packed the shoulders plus all the other bits of meat and most of camp. She gritted it out and packed it all back to the truck 2.5 miles.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like an awesome place to chase deer

Good shooting too, I like that shot choice
Thank you. He was bedded down 170 u
yard away with his ass towards me. I had plenty of time set up a good rest. Took about 5 mins until he popped his head and turned so I got a clean look. Needless to say I didn't have to go looking for him. Cutting off the head was a bit easier as well. Haha

Buck sign is just starting to pick up locally, hoping this week of weather turns on some buck movement

Yesterday on my way to work a little after 5 I saw a stud in town crossing the hwy walking fast with his mouth open, but I have noticed that town bucks aren’t a great representation of what is happening in the woods, but it still is encouraging to see a really big mature buck acting very rutty

No fishing this week, and no work until the end of the week at least, so I will at least find a couple bucks I assume. Hoping to find a respectable buck for my brother in law

I did a couple really long covering ground hunts last week and buck sign was really weak. Only saw one track to note, quite a few does, and a ton of doe sign

My last day was a flop, planned on setting up and glassing all morning but didn’t check the weather until I was about 3 miles into my walk in and realized the wind was not coming out of the direction I needed it to. As I was across the draw from where I wanted to be, a herd of elk came tearing over the ridge towards me and were really spooked, they ran all the way down the ridge without stopping and were running as long as I could hear them… never stopping and looking back… it wasn’t a person, and I was wishing i was over there where I wanted to be so I could have seen.

Whatever it was, they didn’t like it… they acted like it was rifle elk season and they were getting shot at, but that obviously wasn’t the case. Should be seeing some more coast bucks hitting this thread this week, but I can’t wait for the 20th on… I have unfinished business with a couple bucks, and they should start laying sign any day

Taudisio

WKR
Buck sign is just starting to pick up locally, hoping this week of weather turns on some buck movement

Yesterday on my way to work a little after 5 I saw a stud in town crossing the hwy walking fast with his mouth open, but I have noticed that town bucks aren’t a great representation of what is happening in the woods, but it still is encouraging to see a really big mature buck acting very rutty

No fishing this week, and no work until the end of the week at least, so I will at least find a couple bucks I assume. Hoping to find a respectable buck for my brother in law

I did a couple really long covering ground hunts last week and buck sign was really weak. Only saw one track to note, quite a few does, and a ton of doe sign

My last day was a flop, planned on setting up and glassing all morning but didn’t check the weather until I was about 3 miles into my walk in and realized the wind was not coming out of the direction I needed it to. As I was across the draw from where I wanted to be, a herd of elk came tearing over the ridge towards me and were really spooked, they ran all the way down the ridge without stopping and were running as long as I could hear them… never stopping and looking back… it wasn’t a person, and I was wishing i was over there where I wanted to be so I could have seen.

Whatever it was, they didn’t like it… they acted like it was rifle elk season and they were getting shot at, but that obviously wasn’t the case. Should be seeing some more coast bucks hitting this thread this week, but I can’t wait for the 20th on… I have unfinished business with a couple bucks, and they should start laying sign any day
We were just discussing this. With the weather rolling in, the full moon the 17th, the bucks are going to start getting active, real soon for sure. New moon on nov 1, it’s going to be full rut by then and the season doesn’t close until the 8th.