2023 What’s the Plan???

The sun is about to set for the last time in 2022. In just a week and a half Wyoming will start accepting applications for elk licenses. Idaho already has. I hear their computer system was overwhelmed. Other states like Montana don’t have application deadlines until April 1st. Lots of states have otc elk tags. Licenses obviously play a major role in deciding where you can hunt.

Are you an every year elk hunter? Once in a lifetime trip planned? Maybe you get out there every 3-5 years when you have the points to hunt your favorite spot.

I’ll be back in a Wyoming general elk license area. I’ll be with two partners. One has hunted from my camp 3 times and knows his way around very well. He’s killed two bulls there already. The other has elk hunting experience in Colorado and Idaho but has never hunted with me before. I’m excited to get him a bull. Any branch antlered bull will do.

I’m also going to burn my deer points this year in Wyoming. As long as point creep doesn’t bite me in the butt I’ll spend a full two weeks camped just below the top of some high country ridges. I’ll have a base camp but also gear to bivy out and really look over as much ground as possible. I’m excited for that one.

So let’s hear it…. what’s your plan man! Where when and with who? What’s your goal?

Best of luck in the draws to everyone. In the meantime have a Merry Christmas!77D6CF6D-D51B-40EE-8784-59BCFD02F4C2.jpeg

Last edited:

hiker270

WKR
Gonna burn points in Wyoming for Antelope and Mule deer. Apply for first season Colorado Elk, Apply for a combo Elk/Deer Montana tag. Colorado is hit or miss first season draw. Should have enough points to draw Montana.

Hoping 4 points is enough for WY general with a buddy who deserves his first bull. He's had 3 swings with MT general tags, has helped me and others pack out bulls, and is just due. If that fails the elk are probably safe from me for the year unless something wild happens on AZ or NV apps.

CCooper

WKR
Idaho rifle elk and mule deer, Oregon blacktail deer rifle and more than likely elk archery unless my brother and I get lucky on a rifle tag.

If I can get a tag, I go every year...full stop. Got 3 PP in MT so gotta use those on a Gen tag, probably put in for a B tag too.I will swing for the fences in a few other states for really good tags if I get another tag it will be a fun year.

ez_willie

WKR
If I can get a tag, I go every year...full stop. Got 3 PP in MT so gotta use those on a Gen tag, probably put in for a B tag too.I will swing for the fences in a few other states for really good tags if I get another tag it will be a fun year.
Lol 3 pp he says! Didn’t draw with 2 this past year?

Northpark

WKR
Burning points with my buddy in CO for elk first rifle. Should draw a coues deer tag here in AZ. Maybe another Alaska spring bear. Texas in February for axis deer, Aoudad and hogs.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Caribou in August, 10a idaho elk for sure, Montana general hopefully, throw my name in for AZ, NM, UT, & WY. Killed 2 public land elk last year, hoping to punch a tag again.

TheHammer

WKR
If our financial system doesn’t collapse like predicted…. I’ll be on one archery hunt late (first time not hitting it in the opener) September in co hopefully drawing a unit I’ve dreamt about for a while now, then I’ll be in idaho with the rifle mid October. Good luck to everyone and their strategies.

RunNGunSC

FNG
I’m new to the game but am starting a multi state strategy. Ultimately I plan to go on a western hunt every year going forward, it just seems like it will take 3 years or more to get rolling. I‘m hoping to get lucky, but am considering DIY OTC CO archery or cow rifle hunt to break the ice. Any input or advice is welcome, rifle is my preferred weapon.

Werty

WKR
Hunt my home state bear, deer, elk, antelope and doe tags. I put in for preference points everywhere else. I don't have enough time to fill all my tags and hunt a different state.

IDShane

WKR
Moose hunting in Alaska with good potential of a grizz or black bear. Hopefully get back to California to get the Blacktail tag filled that I missed out on. I will put in for some AZ hunting and maybe hunt local in ID hopefully fill a few tags.