2023 Toyota Tundra Hows the 3.4L V6?

CJ19

WKR
Not a truck guy. I just abuse them on the farm, when I hunt, and everywhere else. I am not knowledgeable about them in the least. My 2012 Chevy w/ about 130k miles needs about 3k worth of work and is starting to rust through, so i might bite the big one and buy a new truck.

What is the deal with these 3.4L v6 toyota tundras? i think they have a twin turbo. idea is to boost fuel efficiency? In the past, I just bought a chevy and was done with it but some of the transmission problems with the newer chevy trucks has me thinkin twice. Cant say i am super excited by the idea of buying a ford or toyota but there seem to be a lot of toyota guys on here. any of you have the 3.4L V6 and hows it workin out? will a new gonna last me at least 10 or 12 years of hard work?

Weldor

WKR
I don't own one, but my neighbor bought the crewmax last spring. He loves it, drive to Phoenix 2-3 times a week through the mountains. So far so good . he says average mileage about 18-21. Nice looking truck.

SloppyJ

WKR
I had the previous model Tundra with the 5.7. It was outdated with not many creature comforts. However, I knew that truck and it's 11mpg would last forever. That day came sooner than later but it wasn't the truck's fault. Last year I was stuck in the middle of summer trying to find a truck to buy. It was not a good time to be in the market.

I stumbled upon a Chevy 1500 LTZ with the 6.2 and a 10 speed transmission. I scooped it up while I had the chance. Now in the back of my mind I'm wondering if the transmission or a lifter is going to shit the bed.

I was burned on an ecoboost before that. All of 75k miles and it needed a ton of help. Personally, I won't own another gas motor with a turbo touted to make it efficient. However, they work great... until they don't.

OP
C

CJ19

WKR
If you're looking for a working truck, stick with the Big 3.
If you're looking for a fashion statement, Toyota has exactly what you're looking for.
Well the one i was looking is off the market now. It was a platinum that was marked way down as new. Obviously i was immediately suspicious. I am embarrassed to even admit i am thinking about looking at fords. Have 2 buddies that have em and they are doing great.

Do they still need to pull the whole engine out of the fords to work on the ecoboost.

Hydro557

FNG
We have a 23 crewmax limited trd off road. Love it so far but it's new lol.

I personally don't see how they can be as legendarily reliable as the previous iteration and that glorious gas hog 5.7 v8 was, but it's the way things are now.

Our epa has screwed vehicles. That said I trust Toyota more than the big 3. I expect it to be good and love it so far. Resized_20230726_174834(1).jpeg

Hydro557

FNG
Plagued with recalls. On the 7-8th National recall. I’m a die hard yota guy and went with a new f150 with the proven 2.7 and 10 speed. Don’t miss my old taco or tundras one bit.
Our new tundra replaced the wife's 17 F150. 112k miles and the(thank God I bought) extended warranty had paid out over 5k in cam phasers, cracked valve covers and various other shit. That warranty expired at 120k and no way I wanted to be stuck holding the bag so out the door she went.

Ours was the 3.5 ecoboost. Had great power but was not a reliable power plant. Other than the motor we lovedd that truck. That said the new tundra is obviously nicer, but otherwise feels quite similar to the Ford. Just hoping it's way more reliable.

WRO

WKR
I rented a 2022, not sure how much has changed. I wasn't a big fan of the powertrain coming from an F150. Kinda searched for gears and droned noise. Everything else was pretty nice.

That would've been a Tacoma most likely.

WRO

WKR
Plagued with recalls. On the 7-8th National recall. I’m a die hard yota guy and went with a new f150 with the proven 2.7 and 10 speed. Don’t miss my old taco or tundras one bit.

When it inevitably shits the bed on you with a problem 10000 other owners are having with 0 factory support other than your pocket book, Enjoy. I've had 2 f150s that were colossal pieces of crap both purchased new. My coworkers 2021 f150 has had 7 or 8 recalls. My Tacoma had 6 or 7 recalls, mostly for minor stuff, always came with loaner, and worked out fine.

I have a 2020 Tundra and love it, tows as good as my f150 did. Just wished it got a little better mileage.

I would look for a used 2021 or older Tundra. Proven powertrain, MPGs aren’t great, but I get 17-18 on the hwy. I had an 18 double cab TRD OR, went to a 2020 Cummins, and am now back to a 2020 1794.

OP
C

CJ19

WKR
I really appreciate all the responses. I guess problems can happen with any truck but i certainly like tried and true. I am starting to wonder if i should just fix what what i can on mine and get the shop bill down to 1200 or so of possible. Limp it through its yearly inspection. I can probably get another year or 2 out of the old chevy even with the rust.

Duh

WKR
So I’ve read the 2018-2021 are the most reliable years of tundras. Haven’t heard a whole lot bad except for the gas mileage. What are the other major issues found with those years?

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
When it inevitably shits the bed on you with a problem 10000 other owners are having with 0 factory support other than your pocket book, Enjoy. I've had 2 f150s that were colossal pieces of crap both purchased new. My coworkers 2021 f150 has had 7 or 8 recalls. My Tacoma had 6 or 7 recalls, mostly for minor stuff, always came with loaner, and worked out fine.

I have a 2020 Tundra and love it, tows as good as my f150 did. Just wished it got a little better mileage.
Guessing you had the 3.5. Know cam phaser and valve issues. The 2.7 is about as bulletproof as a turbo gas engine comes. First gen’s had the oil pan leaked which was fixed as well as the intake issue. 5.0 consume oil constantly in rhe 12-13th gen.

I’ve had 2 Toyotas go over 300k, 2 Cummins over 300k and 3 power strokes over 300k. Feel super confident the 2.7 ecoboost will last just as long with routine maintenance.

I stumbled upon a Chevy 1500 LTZ with the 6.2 and a 10 speed transmission. I scooped it up while I had the chance. Now in the back of my mind I'm wondering if the transmission or a lifter is going to shit the bed.
Just had two friends replace their tranny's in their Silverados. One was a 16 the other an 18 I think. Good luck

So I’ve read the 2018-2021 are the most reliable years of tundras. Haven’t heard a whole lot bad except for the gas mileage. What are the other major issues found with those years?
The only bad you will hear about these years is the baddish MPGs and the outdated interior/tech. Although my 1794 has appleplay and wireless charging…oh, and the damn tail gates have to be manually locked with a key.

Reactions: Duh