2023 OFFICIAL ELK MEAT POLE THREAD

grfox92

WKR
Does sound a bit far fetched I agree. 16.5/day day in and day out? Through the country you describe? With a pulled hammy? But I know people like him and they live to toot their own horn so
Well we did 12.5 today and got back to the truck at 2pm. Maybe the satellite GPS is lying.... and you know people like me? You don't even know me....

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Congrats on a great bull! How in the hell do you pull off 16.5 miles/day? I hunt the breaks dam hard every day and don't come near that close and I don't have deadfall to deal with.
The average comes from a couple 18 and 20+ mile days. Some days were only 8 miles. Lots of walking on horse trails and then traversing the blowdown to get to a bugling bull or a spot we picked on maps. It hasn't been easy. We are both exhausted and glad today was the last day.

grfox92

WKR
That’s not too hard, I often hit 12-16/day durning bow season. Hell, I hit 13 this week with a hunter I was guiding, and he was not in shape.
I did 12 miles with my 8 year old in August. Not sure why some people find it so hard to believe.

3Sons

FNG
DIY OTC CO bull I shot Sunday night solo 6.5 miles back. Set up camp 15 min before dark in a saddle near a peak I figured elk were bedding on the north side of during the day. After not hearing a bugle since 8:30 am, heard a light bugle decently close (within 300), decided to rip one back a minute later and he fired back within 200 yards. Put my gear back on, walked 20 yards from my tarp, threw out a growly bugle and a cow goes nuts mewing and he bugles. I cut him off with one more and they come running in, I took 10 quick steps behind some cover and knock an arrow. Cow comes to 10 yards on the left of the cover and looks at me, bull ends up coming in to the right and sees me finish drawing but stops at 13 yards. Sent one through the ticker and he went 90 yards and piled up. Entire situation happened in less than 4 minutes from the first time I bugled to when I shot. Prof it only takes one.
20 miles of packing yesterday and a good friend who was dumb enough to hike in and take a heavy load, got it out in 14 hours. Now I’ll spend the rest of my week of vacation recovering from the pack out and debating if I’m dumb enough to go back in after a bear.
Great Colorado bull. That is one heck of a pack out.

3Sons

FNG
Struck big last night in Montana
4a20a9bb4b333ee109f1a763f0cc81b6.jpg

35306cb3619e364a5a5e4544bdc21e0b.jpg

e0158188f5a2977c38b320c0ef9719b9.jpg

b6066277b5de15ddd33be19951b6fc2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow!

TheHammer

WKR
Unfortunately I do not have a harvest picture. I did however notch my tag but never recovered the bull after an unfortunate arrow deflection and forward hit. Did everything I could to turn him up. I think he’s fine and well, but ethics are ethics. The 6pt on the left is the bull minutes before the scenario unfolded. Congratulations to everyone on here. Some fantastic stories, pictures and memories for a lifetime.

Attachments

• IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 215

duckhuntr

FNG
Unfortunately I do not have a harvest picture. I did however notch my tag but never recovered the bull after an unfortunate arrow deflection and forward hit. Did everything I could to turn him up. I think he’s fine and well, but ethics are ethics. The 6pt on the left is the bull minutes before the scenario unfolded. Congratulations to everyone on here. Some fantastic stories, pictures and memories for a lifetime.
Thats brutal man, but good on your for notching the tag anyway. Get back out there next year and make it happen.

IMG_1289.jpgIMG_1291.jpgIMG_1298.jpg

Opening morning of CO muzzleloader. I was in my favorite spot watching some nice bucks and wishing I had a deer tag when this guy started bugling up behind me. I bugled and cow called back and fourth with him for about 30 minutes while I worked my way in and finally got to a tiny clearing on the hillside. His cows started making their way across the opening 80 yards above me. As I pulled my gun up, one of the cows locked on and I was praying she didn't do anything drastic before the bull had a chance to get there. All of a sudden he pops out 30 yards down hill from the cow and 50 yards in front of me for a perfect broadside shot. He went 40 yards and piled up. Done hunting at 8:00 am. I got him quartered and hung up and headed down the mountain with one quarter on my back. The next morning my wife, my uncle, a family friend and I headed up with horses to get the rest of him out.

Last edited:

Milzie

FNG
This is really inspirational thank you to all who shared. Makes me excited to chase my first chance next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon_G

WKR
Took the guy with the weird three point/spike 5 years to get one. You’ll get there! Practice your shooting more than you think you need to and save yourself the heartache of having to track a gutshot bull. Luckily he clipped the liver and we found him but blood trailing for 9hrs with no blood is no fun.
One can only hope for a good shot! I do practice a lot but I feel like when the day comes I'm going to be shaking with adrenaline before and after lol