2023 Cold Bow challenge-Lessons Learned

I thought I would start a new thread to discuss some lessons learned for the cold bow challenge. I learned a lot about my set up. I determined I was a little naïve with understanding wind drift, fixed in wind and my distance. I started out with 60 yards as my MER. This is is in low wind and after a summer of practice. I had not shot my bow at all when I started the challenge to get a gauge on what it is like to go into it 100% cold. You can see that in my shots....Coming out of last season I assumed my bow was in great shape and not out of tune, forgetting that I packed out my elk, fell in the deadfall and have not shot it since. Turns out I was wrong. Now to the challenge, I have a piece of State land near my house that I can shoot in between mountain bikers starting at the trail. Most of the days I was shooting in a cross wind of 40-50 mph. I had not practiced in this in a couple years. Missing the vitals and even the target has got me really understanding wind. I am looking at working on my setup a little more to see if I need to adjust broadheads (fixed/mechanical) in wind. Also, I realized how important it is to just go straight to shooting broadheads and skip over the field points (for the most part). We shoot to hunt, not shoot to hit a target. I really enjoyed the challenge and am already looking forward to next year!

Great idea- 2 things-
1) I went back to basics this year- standard sized GT arrows, Blazers in helical and good old vented Slick tricks- I did get a little drift on a windy day but nothing different than my old skinnies (4mm) and these have been surprisingly accurate for less than perfect straightness- I did nock tune. $150/doz built vs $310 hmmm....
2)I should have challenged myself more- due to the above and a tiny rhinehart deer- I chickened out on my MER and went 65 yards- I am sure I could have stretched that to 75 or 80.

Third year doing the CBC and my biggest take away from this has been being "forced" to shoot broadheads at max distance under self induced pressure. In preparation for this I've found how invaluable broadhead tuning is. Broadhead tuning at 60, 70, 80 yards identifies and exaggerates any form or tuning issues and forces you to improve.

nphunter

WKR
My biggest takeaway was don’t trust a bullet hole. I put new strings on just before the CBC and verified my yardages like the day before. I didn’t however shoot any groups, only shot a bare shaft through paper to get a perfect bullet hole.
During the CBC I shot a horrible group at my MER where normally I’m very confident at that distance. After the CBC I went out and shot some groups and I shot the worst groups I had shot in years. The only difference in this last setup with the new strings was the bare shaft through paper, that was a first for me, normally I just shoot BS and Fletch at yardages and get them grouping.

Anyway, I made some adjustments to the rest and watch my groups, after a few small adjustments I went from 10” vertical group to arrows almost touching at 60. I shot some fixed heads and they grouped exceptional as well. My bow is no longer shooting a bullet hole through paper but it’s shooting awesome down range where it counts. Moving forward I will put a lot less weight into BS and Paper and go straight to group tuning after getting my center shot and nock hight where I want it.

Before group tuning
44EDB1E4-4399-4FDE-B9FC-717464148889.jpeg

After group tuning
61009950-FB0E-42BA-9AEA-286B1949746C.jpeg

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I had a couple of take always.
First is to get comfortable and used to shooting in wind including where I am located.
Second is to start taking more uncomfortable shots such as shots with a pack on, something obstructing my view, kneeling, sitting all that kind of stuff.
Last is to breathe, calm down and to trust my shot process. I rushed myself in the cbc because of time but I need to slow it down and get into the rhythm.

Picking the right spot was a great lesson for me as well, along with slowing down. I felt very rushed in my last 3 shots and it got consistently worse. Headed out on a quick weekend hunt right after I finished the challenge and of course, that lessons were reconfirmed. Axis doe at 22 yds, I draw, let down and draw again undetected. While aiming, she spots me and I rush the shot. Aimed at my typical whitetail spot 1/3 up the crease. I knew Axis can duck the string better than anything I’ve ever hunted, but forgot this in my haste. She ducks and I shaved hair off her back, left in a nice pile where she stood, just to twist the knife a little. That was my only shot that weekend.

time to practice some more…

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider