2023 ANTELOPE MEAT POLE

ef2dfdd0928058342162adb01fedf4cb.jpg

Had a blast making the stalk on this speed goat with my son to 125 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First buck in Colorado, crawled to 275 yards and then he walked straight at me to 150 and turned broadside.

Curious what everyone is using for bullets, he did not want to go down with a .308 ELD-X.
View attachment 611857View attachment 611856
Both of ours were taken with a .308 win 168gr A Max handloads. First one was 226 yards, ran about 40 yards and done. Second was 455 yards DRT. One shot apiece, both exited, massive wound channels.

Both of ours were taken with a .308 win 168gr A Max handloads. First one was 226 yards, ran about 40 yards and done. Second was 455 yards DRT. One shot apiece, both exited, massive wound channels.
That's what I had experienced on every animal I shot with the Bergers I was shooting before. This is the first animal I've shot with ELD-X's at any sort of distance and was very surprised by the results.

308 ELDX should have put him down easily.

How far did he run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He only ran 20-30 yards but stood there staring at me quartering to. I put two more in him in front of the shoulder that exited at the back of the ribcage before he dropped.

That's what I had experienced on every animal I shot with the Bergers I was shooting before. This is the first animal I've shot with ELD-X's at any sort of distance and was very surprised by the results.
Yeah idk, I don't have any first hand experience with the eld-x, so not sure how they normally do.

He only ran 20-30 yards but stood there staring at me quartering to. I put two more in him in front of the shoulder that exited at the back of the ribcage before he dropped.

That’s crazy. My buddy shot his with a 6.5CM/143ELDX at a lazy 2740. He ran about 70 yards and tipped over.

Surprised to hear your results with a .308.

That’s crazy. My buddy shot his with a 6.5CM/143ELDX at a lazy 2740. He ran about 70 yards and tipped over.

Surprised to hear your results with a .308.

Honestly I think he would have died from the first shot had I given him a minute. I didn't want to risk him running onto private and dying there.

IMG_5331.jpeg

Sun might have made me miss the small prongs on this guy, looked tall enough and liked how he turned in. Montana was tougher than expected, lots of guys out and about and seemed like there was large areas with basically no antelope. I had access to a 35,000 acre Type 2 BMA, I killed my buck at 7:30am. Had a doe tag, so drove around the BMA, met a couple other hunters, who weren’t seeing any antelope. I decided not to worry about filling it doe tag. Saw two small groups on the way out, maybe a dozen total antelope seen on 35,000 acres.

Took both of my bucks with 6.5 Creedmoor with hand loaded 127 Barnes LRX. Both bang/flopped, never took a step. One at ~200yds the other at 360yds.

190 yards 6.5 CM w/ 143 gr ELDX

Not the biggest we saw, but was able to go with my dad. This was his first time chasing antelope and we had a good time! Last time we hunted together he had a heart attack as we were packing up camp. Luckily this hunt went much smoother.
Antelope23.jpg

190 yards 6.5 CM w/ 143 gr ELDX

Not the biggest we saw, but was able to go with my dad. This was his first time chasing antelope and we had a good time! Last time we hunted together he had a heart attack as we were packing up camp. Luckily this hunt went much smoother.
View attachment 612591
Congrats to both of you on what sounds like a great hunt. Those are special times with our children and/or parents. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Back