0 or 20 deg kifaru slick bag?

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a late Aug Dall hunt in south central AK this year and I’m considering buying a slick bag to take vs my nice down bag. Anyone know the weight difference between the 20 and 0 deg slick bag or is the weight difference negligible? I’m likely doing a down puffy system so think I want the safety aspect of a synthetic bag.

as.ks.ak

WKR
20° will be plenty. Especially if you have synthetic puff layers if shit were to hit the proverbial fan.

Everyone has different beliefs. But I ditched down altogether a few years back. I live in SE, so I have a bit different relationship with water than interior folks.

Cascade340

Lil-Rokslider
The slick bag is a little overpriced and overrated in my opinion. I wasn’t super impressed and I feel like there are plenty of other options for cheaper. But it will get the job done!

I love my 0 degree slick bag. Gives me confidence on Alaska solo hunts. But 20 degree would be good for August.

I've got the 20 degree bag and because of the shape and my slender build (I'm 5'9" and 150lb) it doesn't work that well for me, there is to much air space and I don't fill up the bag. I'm going to switch to a different brand with a slimmer fit.

I use a 0 degree Slick bag and have it for 8 years. Probably 350-400 days no lie. It’s probably overkill, but I’ve definitely needed extra warmth many times. Like getting soaking wet on a sheep hunt and getting in with my clothes on and then being dry in the morning. It can cook you dry. Could use a 20 sometimes, but if I only have 1 def a 0. I’ve slid out from under my tarp on a goat mountain in October, woke up with a layer of ice on the bag, was warm and dry inside.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’ 2”. The regular says it’s up to 6’ 4”. Are they true to size or would I need a Long?? I’m leaning towards a 20 def bag since I’ll have a full set of SG puffies if temps drop.

I had a 0 degree Slik bag for a while. It was honestly one of the worst gear purchases of my life. Used it on a spring bear hunt and froze my ass off in overnight temps around 30 degrees using an Xtherm pad. I don't understand how anybody would be happy with them, they aren't warm, they're heavy and pack down to the size of a basketball at best.

I'd watch the SG rewarming drill video and reconsider taking a quality down bag. I've had my down bags all over the west in everything from -20 to warm summer nights to sopping wet Alaska in September and they've never failed me.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 0 degree Slik bag for a while. It was honestly one of the worst gear purchases of my life. Used it on a spring bear hunt and froze my ass off in overnight temps around 30 degrees using an Xtherm pad. I don't understand how anybody would be happy with them, they aren't warm, they're heavy and pack down to the size of a basketball at best.

I'd watch the SG rewarming drill video and reconsider taking a quality down bag. I've had my down bags all over the west in everything from -20 to warm summer nights to sopping wet Alaska in September and they've never failed me.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I think that just made my decision. I think I’ll get the Chillkoot 15 since I already have the SG puffy jacket and pants as well.

I have never stepped foot in Alaska but I have the 0 degree slick bag and it is an oven. Cozy with just base layers at 3* in a double wall tent in humid Ky creek bottom. If the temps there dont get near that, Id say it would be overkill. I pack mine in a large sea to summit stuff sack and i can crank it down pretty small for what it is, but its still got some girth to it. Probably the size of a youth basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I am sure the slik 20 would be just fine. Lots of people talk well of them. I however have the SG Chilkoot 15 and would bring it to Alaska in August without hesitation. My 2c

Last edited:

keller

WKR
I have kuiu 0 degree packs down well. Couple trips to Kodiak one to bethel multiple trips western lower 48 keeps me warm and I am a cold sleeper

*zap*

WKR
I always want a warmer bag because I can leave it unzipped or use it as a quilt....there really is no downside. If your bag is not warm enough that will suck.

Reactions: TVW

HerdAK

FNG
I have used my 20 degree slick bag on two sheep hunts and this year will be switching to a quilt. I like the bag but both hunts I have had a couple cold nights where I had to put my puffy jacket and pants on. I tend to be a cold sleeper though. I'm switching to a 10 or 0 degree EE Enigma quilt.

crich

WKR
Since it hasnt been mentioned yet, a lot of anecdotal bag reviews are subjective and you have no idea if the guy is using a quality high R value pad. Its just as important and worth keeping in mind.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apex (what Kifaru uses) is pretty good insulation— doesn't pack as small as down, nor is it as light, but definitely mitigates moisture better than down.

Apex also doesn't last as long as down. High quality down that is taken care of can last a lifetime; Apex much less.

One thing that has worked pretty well for me is combining a down bag w/ an Apex quilt over the top. A 50 degree Apex quilt weighs ~ 12 oz and provides about 20 degrees of additional warmth to a down bag. I've used my 30 degree down bag w/ the quilt comfortably to 10-ish degrees.

Two advantages- having a synthetic layer over the down allows moisture from your body to pass through the down layer and go into the synthetic layer which handles moisture better and keeping your down drier. Ditto if there is external moisture- condensation and the like.

The other advantage is I can take the 12 oz quilt with me if basing out of camp and use it as additional insulating layer when glassing and/or in an emergency bivy scenario. Mine (Mountain Laurel Designs) has a poncho hole so I can drape the entire quilt over myself glassing (or walking around camp).

Enlightened Equipment makes several models of Apex quilts and quilts that can fully zipped up like a bag. If you're looking at Apex for a sleep system, they're worth checking out as well.

Just another option :)