2022 ELK MEAT POLE

Itsrybo

FNG
My wife got her first bull! She hunted super hard and we got after it everyday. When we were done I asked her how she liked it. “I liked it but like once a year type thing” perfect I’ll take it lol

She also said helping pack out was the hardest thing she’s ever done.

I did my first euro job on it too!
C324281C-B3F1-440E-9FDD-F44F30B64E20.jpeg

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
AZ late season. Saw two bulls Monday morning down in a canyon and he was the bigger of the two.

9c4666d2e087f9474c624e2441304b35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to get it done on the last day of 3rd season Colorado with an unbroken solid 6x6. 100% solo. Using my trusty Steyr 7mm Remington Magnum I shot once and he was down within 15 yards after being hit by the 162gr ELD-M bullet that were loaded by @Unknown Munitions . For reference I am 6'7" 375lbs so there is no long arming here.

View attachment 477837

Here he is through the spotting scope minutes before I shot him.

View attachment 477847
That spotter pic is sweeet! 6’-7”?! You sure he didn’t see you and just give up? Ha

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
My fiancé had 2 antlerless elk tags so we went out together.

We found a herd of 30-40 bulls first thing in the morning. Some nice 6x6’s in that group.

I had an idea on where I wanted to go, I figured there would be cows hanging around close to that herd of bulls.

I cut around to the north and came back south with the pickup when we spotted a herd of about 300.

E585499E-BB4D-4CF9-9927-0726EE0B9E19.jpeg

We got out of the truck to try and get close enough to pick one off but the herd pushed south and away from us. I then glassed to the west and saw another herd of 300 about 2 miles away just starting to head up the hill into the coulees. I drove south on the road and we got out and cut west to try and cut the herd off. When we got to where I thought they would be, there was already tracks so we cut south a bit and found them. Missed them by 5 minutes.

Turns out there was a third herd of about 400 on the tops of the flats and these 2 herds joined into one big herd. In this pic you can see the third herd, most of the second herd is behind the hills with a couple stragglers behind one the right. 97CDDF3A-E27D-4F8A-AAF6-65DBA97FC375.jpeg

We went back to the truck and drove south to try and cut them off again but never got close, it’s so hard to stalk in on these big herds in the open prairie.

I decided to try a new area for the rest of the day to try and find a smaller group and when we headed back north, we found 3 elk 350yds from the road where I took the first picture. All 3 were antlerless. We got out of the truck, and crawled on our hands and knees behind the smallest hill until we were 300yds from the 3 elk. I dialed my fiancés scope on her Tikka 308 and when she was ready she took the shot. First one just dropped and started to flop around. She looked at me and started to tear up. I told her to rack another round and drop a second one. She hit that one and it dropped to but just laid there with its head up starting at us. The third elk for some reason just decided to bed right there.

We moved closer to get a finishing shot into each elk, and we got to 50yds when the one that was staring at us tried to get up but its back legs weren’t working. I had her shoot that one in the head and it was down for good. The other one that was flopping around had stopped, but when we walked up I kicked it and it moved. She racked another round and finished that one with a headshot from a foot away.

Both elk ended up getting spined. Turns out we had a communication issue. I dialed her scope the proper amount, but she still thought she had to hold high for the drop.

End of it all, we had shot 2 bull calves, 350yds from the truck on flat ground! It couldn’t get easier than that. It took me a little under an hour to gut them both and get them back to the truck.

263A0A16-AEAD-4068-A0F2-ED67B5EA2D71.jpeg
E5E2066F-040A-437B-A9BA-91501C70EDAB.jpeg

Both elk 20 yds apart.

D9D8FF7E-2ABB-4D93-9A4F-9E95076C6B33.jpeg

On the way back to the truck with both elk in the sled, the original herd of 300 came back over the hill.

1CE41CCB-F81D-463D-86EF-93A70BECE9A0.jpeg

When we got home I backed the truck into my garage and used the winch I installed in the roof to lift the elk out of the truck. I had to go to work so we cut them up the next day.

716186EE-4023-426F-A84F-695C78657E99.jpeg

Last edited:

Rogue Bay

WKR
My fiancé had 2 antlerless elk tags so we went out together.

We found a herd of 30-40 bulls first thing in the morning. Some nice 6x6’s in that group.

I had an idea on where I wanted to go, I figured there would be cows hanging around close to that herd of bulls.

I cut around to the north and came back south with the pickup when we spotted a herd of about 300.

View attachment 491485

We got out of the truck to try and get close enough to pick one off but the herd pushed south and away from us. I then glassed to the west and saw another herd of 300 about 2 miles away just starting to head up the hill into the coulees. I drove south on the road and we got out and cut west to try and cut the herd off. When we got to where I thought they would be, there was already tracks so we cut south a bit and found them. Missed them by 5 minutes.

Turns out there was a third herd of about 400 on the tops of the flats and these 2 herds joined into one big herd. In this pic you can see the third herd, most of the second herd is behind the hills with a couple stragglers behind one the right. View attachment 491489

We went back to the truck and drove south to try and cut them off again but never got close, it’s so hard to stalk in on these big herds in the open prairie.

I decided to try a new area for the rest of the day to try and find a smaller group and when we headed back north, we found 3 elk 350yds from the road where I took the first picture. All 3 were antlerless. We got out of the truck, and crawled on our hands and knees behind the smallest hill until we were 300yds from the 3 elk. I dialed my fiancés scope on her Tikka 308 and when she was ready she took the shot. First one just dropped and started to flop around. She looked at me and started to tear up. I told her to rack another round and drop a second one. She hit that one and it dropped to but just laid there with its head up starting at us. The third elk for some reason just decided to bed right there.

We moved closer to get a finishing shot into each elk, and we got to 50yds when the one that was staring at us tried to get up but its back legs weren’t working. I had her shoot that one in the head and it was down for good. The other one that was flopping around had stopped, but when we walked up I kicked it and it moved. She racked another round and finished that one with a headshot from a foot away.

Both elk ended up getting spined. Turns out we had a communication issue. I dialed her scope the proper amount, but she still thought she had to hold high for the drop.

End of it all, we had shot 2 bull calves, 350yds from the truck on flat ground! It couldn’t get easier than that. It took me a little under an hour to gut them both and get them back to the truck.

View attachment 491495
View attachment 491496

Both elk 20 yds apart.

View attachment 491497

On the way back to the truck with both elk in the sled, the original herd of 300 came back over the hill.

View attachment 491499

When we got home I backed the truck into my garage and used the winch I installed in the roof to lift the elk out of the truck. I had to go to work so we cut them up the next day.

View attachment 491505
Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing!

Fuenstock

FNG
I was wanting to give muzzle loader hunts a try and while at a local shop they had one for sale so I bought it out of impulse. Went out and sighted it in at 100 yards and it was shooting good!
Next day went out to cow hunt. Spotted a small group of cows just before dark.
Next morning I went straight back to that spot and found the same cows just getting out of bed.
Stalked in for a shot and put a bullet in a big mature cow at 109 yards. Perfect double lung broadside shot. She went 10 yards and dropped dead.
Wife said you bought that muzzle loader so you better bring home some meat to offset the cost!
Meat in the freezer means a happy wife!2493C866-1E79-4C4F-A9A6-E8C00E3DC03E.jpeg
25A1FB5C-06AC-4945-B56A-4817681D7E99.jpeg
7C001C47-139F-44F3-A668-E5AA5D29DA20.jpeg

Montana went from Indian Summer directly to Winter- no Fall for us. Hunted numerous days (and miles) in 12"+ snow (two days I hunted on snowshoes!!!!) and single digit temps. Subsequently the places I usually have had decent success, were nearly devoid of elk. Finally figured out that the elk were slowly migrating towards their winter grounds and was able to fill my cow tag- largest cow I've ever harvested.

Still have my bull tag and will get out a few more days :)

4Rfz60k.jpg
Are you sure thats not a moose lol, holy crap