2022 California Bear

Dunndm

WKR
My aunt lives in LA and has seen bears on her back porch multiple times. They are everywhere.

I’m an hour from LA. If she needs anyone to eradicate them. I’ll be more than happy to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For any newbies reading this thread and interested in bow hunting bears...once you release the arrow remain frozen with the bow up. Become a statue. Any motion can attract a charge even if the bear is mortally wounded. There are some species that will come after you if they spot you, bears can be one of them. Good luck to you all.

OP
David Gough
Getting my ass kicked in eastern sierras. Most of the manzanita berries are not ripe. We’ve sat water and likely places. No dice. Up high and no fresh sign yet.

Found a very big buck early this morning. Too bad my buddy has the deer tag.

gadwallop

FNG
Getting my ass kicked in eastern sierras. Most of the manzanita berries are not ripe. We’ve sat water and likely places. No dice. Up high and no fresh sign yet.

Found a very big buck early this morning. Too bad my buddy has the deer tag.

Sounds like my last weekend in the Transverse Mtns near SB. Just one velvet 3x3 very annoyed that I interrupted his morning nap.
The sierra currants seem to be ripening up, but with no scat I couldn't tell if they're eating those. Any experience with them?

OP
David Gough
Sounds like my last weekend in the Transverse Mtns near SB. Just one velvet 3x3 very annoyed that I interrupted his morning nap.
The sierra currants seem to be ripening up, but with no scat I couldn't tell if they're eating those. Any experience with them?

They’re eating currants. One of their main food sources at the moment.

My aunt lives in LA and has seen bears on her back porch multiple times. They are everywhere.
Where in LA? I lived in a pretty wide open part of LA (Lincoln Heights) and saw plenty of wildlife, but no bears. Crazy how adaptive these animals can be given a chance and proper management...they will thrive!

Actually have one friend living in LA asking about coming out here for bear hunting. Our early season is hot...but I cant imagine what it would be like hunting black bears in SoCal...Im nervous about spoiling meat here!

Good luck to everyone - some great pictures here.

PvilleMac

FNG
Where in LA? I lived in a pretty wide open part of LA (Lincoln Heights) and saw plenty of wildlife, but no bears. Crazy how adaptive these animals can be given a chance and proper management...they will thrive!

Actually have one friend living in LA asking about coming out here for bear hunting. Our early season is hot...but I cant imagine what it would be like hunting black bears in SoCal...Im nervous about spoiling meat here!

Good luck to everyone - some great pictures here.
Monrovia, so not LA proper but its LA to me, haha

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all! Yeah, that blood trail was fire hose status. Can anyone recommend a taxidermist? Having trouble locating one. Thanks.

OP
David Gough
Thanks all! Yeah, that blood trail was fire hose status. Can anyone recommend a taxidermist? Having trouble locating one. Thanks.
Where was the shot? I shot one a couple years ago through the heart and it bled four drops.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Where was the shot? I shot one a couple years ago through the heart and it bled four drops.
Through the shoulder and out opposite side neck. My hunting partner is convinced I hit an artery. Must have been quartering a bit, but sure seemed broadside to me. There was a slight downhill angle. Never found the arrow and I looked for a good bit two different times.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Had to have been an artery. Bears rarely bleed like that.
That's what I've heard. I'd say it made it easy to track, but it went down quickly and I saw it expire on 3 legs and tumble. Quite a first experience with those critters. Meat was rather lean too. Looking forward to getting some sausage back in the near future.

OP
David Gough
That's what I've heard. I'd say it made it easy to track, but it went down quickly and I saw it expire on 3 legs and tumble. Quite a first experience with those critters. Meat was rather lean too. Looking forward to getting some sausage back in the near future.
It's great eating.