2020 Elk Hunting suggestions with a 5/6K budget

Boonjg

FNG
The last few years of hunting DIY archery in Colorado have not proved to be as successful as they have in the past, it seems like the elk numbers in the units we typically hunt are dwindling. With that said I'm look to branch out this year into new areas or a different state to improve my odds. We usually bow hunt during OTC archery season but I'm leaning toward riffle hunting this year. I realize I'm too late to put in for most of the draws but I was thinking an outfitter might be the way to go. I can probably get away with spending 5-6K on an elk hunt this year and looking for suggestions on which state you would target on my budget and would you hire an outfitter?

OP
Boonjg

Boonjg

FNG
Ranch? Backcountry with horses? Trophy expectation?
I'm definitely willing to put in the work for the right opportunity so ranch, horseback or hiking are all an option.
I'm not looking to kill a trophy but would definitely like to have something worth hanging on the wall, 250+ would be awesome!!

Forest

WKR
Landowner tag in New Mexico is probably your best chance with that budget this late in the year. Could get into a decent unit and hunt on your own. Other options would be Colorado or Montana general tag plus the outfitter but could be tough to buy tag and outfitter cost with that budget.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Your total budget is about 2k short for good guided ranch hunt/tag imo. Best bet is to pay for a quality ranch and diy. I'm a public hunt guy but I have a couple friends that go on these ranch hunts occasionally. They spend 3-5k and shoot decent elk every year they go in Colorado. No clue how to find the hunts though. Good luck

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The last few years of hunting DIY archery in Colorado have not proved to be as successful as they have in the past, it seems like the elk numbers in the units we typically hunt are dwindling. With that said I'm look to branch out this year into new areas or a different state to improve my odds.

That's hunting........if plan A doesn't work out you go to plan B, then plan C, D, E, etc. If you're a bowhunter, then going rifle and hiring an outfitter isn't going to do much for your bowhunting in the longer term. I'd try some new areas this year.

OP
Boonjg

Boonjg

FNG
That's hunting........if plan A doesn't work out you go to plan B, then plan C, D, E, etc. If you're a bowhunter, then going rifle and hiring an outfitter isn't going to do much for your bowhunting in the longer term. I'd try some new areas this year.
I agree that its part of the challenge of hunting....I'm looking to increase my odds of success, learn a new area and improve my skills set for future DIY hunts. With my limited time I think an outfitter might be the best approach this year.

I would keep trying to find a spot that will pay off for future hunts. If you go guided or pay to get on private that only gets you one year. I would invest in good light weight gear and put boots on the ground. Good luck in whatever you do. The worst day elk hunting is better than a good day at work.

I saw an ad for this place recently in Gray's Sporting Journal.....not sure what their rates are, but if I were you I would check them out:

DIY bowhunting and not killing anything is great, but it would be even better if your freezer is already full from last season. Sounds to me like you could use some meat in the freezer. Nothing wrong with that.

Save your money for next year and Go DIY Rifle Any Bull hunt in Utah. Hike into the High Uinta wilderness area. Hunt is early Oct so some elk are still bugling. Tags are OTC but limited in number. They go on sale in July but you best be online the first morning they go on sale. I think there is something like 15K tags but last year they sold out in 2 Weeks.

I would say there a lot of options out there all depending on what you are looking for. One thing I would say, there will be plenty of outfitters "selling" you a hunt. I have been asked from friends in the past and like I suggest to them, I believe that experience is everything.

Keep in mind that an outfitter may increase the chances but to a guarantee...

Wapiti1

WKR
You're late in the year to pick up an outfitted hunt. Most will be booked.

Here are a couple to call, though. Allout in Colorado and Compass West in NM/CO. Both are good outfits, I've hunted with Compass West, but not with Allout. Compass West has some OTC stuff in CO that is in your price range. They may have some cancellations, or open slots.

Jeremy

Murph8868

FNG
Not sure what you do for work. But you could look at voucher tags. I have been lucky and been able to work with a few Ranchers to trade work for access. Then just buy the voucher tag (UT) and get out there.

WRO

WKR
We've got 2 spots left on our place in Oregon, pretty legitimate opportunity for a 260 to 320 bull. We've killed bigger, but I wouldn't plan on it. It'd hit your price point and the guy guiding for us archery season is one of the best I've ever met.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk