2019 CO diy otc archery elk thoughts

Hi all!

I've learned so much that I thought I'd share my experiences in return for all of your valuable insight over the past few years. Definitely helped with my learning curve these last few seasons!

Getting there: I have a subaru outback and with all the stuff strapped on, I felt like Jed Clampett driving around. I'm really thinking of a full size pickup sometime in the future.

I was in a national forest OTC unit in Colorado from Sept 13th thru 21st. There was quite a bit of other hunters all camped off the forest road and I would say a significant number were hunting out of four wheelers and side-by-sides. It seemed that many of these people were simply driving back and forth on the forest road. This surprised me a bit as I spend so much time on Rokslide and generally assume that everyone is hiking in to their spots.

Google Earth will straight up lie to your face! The area looked completely different from the satellite photos on GE. The combination of topography, foliage, and ground features totally changed how my access points/trails were used in practice. I was surprised by the results of my e-scouting, in terms of where I expected to find elk sign and where we actually found it. One spot that I was sure was going to be covered in a herd of elk was completely desolate of any and all sign. Another spot that I was sure wasn't worth going into turned out to be the hot spot.

The whole meme about everyone going "5 miles in" is totally true. Mid week, we packed in 4 miles thru some brutal country to get to the "honey hole" and there were almost as many people packed into this area as there were in our general truck camp area! We were very diligent to setup our spike camp in terms of wind and sound discipline to not upset the honey hole. The next morning we found 7 tents setup smack in the middle of the honey hole. I still don't know what they were thinking.

A camp mate took a bull and myself and another packed the quarters out. Packing out quarters at elevation thru thick brush is no joke. I'm a US cycling cat 3 bicycle road racer and I was sucking wind, and glutes on fire, packing this thing out. I will change my training for this fo' sure going forward.

EQUIPMENT:
Pack: I was deciding between the xcurve and Kifaru. After trying the xcurve, I went to Kifaru on my lunch break (I live in Denver area) and Kayle (spelling?) helped me try out some things and get me fitted. Anders was super helpful for all of my post sale customer service questions. I bought the new Kifaru frame, a guide lid, and a grab it. This combo was perfect for day hunting and the pack out of the quarters. I can't imagine that pack out with my alice frame. I used my basic training issued duffel bag for my spike camp, it worked well enough but I could see a Reckoning or similar in the future. I would buy it all in 1 second if I had to. End of discussion there.

Boots: Lowa tibet gtx. I'm a super stiff boot kind of guy and these were awesome in all conditions. Especially trudging through some watery/muddy bogs. I will definitely have gaiters for the wet stuff going forward. Learned a hard lesson there. Crocs for at camp are the way to go.

Glass: Leica geovid hd b 10x42. These are a major step up from my 80's era Zeiss in terms of everything. Amazing. They were a bit much in terms of magnification for how thick the foliage was in our particular area. For day to day archery hunting, I think a mid range 8x30 is the way to go for the area I was in.

Trekking poles: Costco carbon specials. Game changer. I will always have poles on hunts with me (at least available back at camp). These things are beasts and comfy.

Clothing: Various merino wool cobbled together from sales and fleabay. Temp regulation and lack of body funk make merino my first choice going forward. I definitely ripped my pants a couple times on brush, but its still worth it to me. In past years my synthetic stuff stank so bad it almost made me cry. I'm not convinced that camo patterns are so important for elk, compared to earth-tone solid colors. Merino neck gaiter was awesome.

Navigation: I had paper maps and a garmin 401. I will definitely have a phone based app next time. I'm thinking the gaia app. I was surprised how fast my garmin 401 killed batteries, but maybe that's due to having WAAS turned on all the time?

Bow: I thought I was smart to have a 16" stabilizer, because my long range groups are so much better, but that thing was such a pain getting constantly hung up on brush that I'm doing something different next year.

Shelter: I brought a mountainsmith lt tarp. This is a one man shelter. I will not invite my buddy to share next time. It was too crowded for me. This thing was not fun after a rain due to the amount of condensation dripping down all night (this is a single wall issue not a mountainsmith lt issue specifically), but I do love the floorless design regardless. I understand the niche for a double wall in wet weather due to the condensation issues of single wall shelters.

Sleeping rig: UGQ goose down quilt. For my personal preference, this thing is killer. Big agnes q-core slx wide pad. For both quilt and pad, the wider the better for me (I'm 5'7" 165lb).

I think its important to be cognizant of how much your gear weighs, but utility, comfort, quality, and reliability win the day. Doing intense cardio training all year is WAY more important than gram counting, in my opinion.

Social media: The amount of pics of people with archery elk is really deceptive. Talking to other hunters in person has really reinforced to me how common it is to go home empty handed.

The real question is how do I do more boots on ground pre-season scouting with two small children at home? I'm not sure about that part!

I hope this is all helpful. I really appreciate all of your reviews and commentary over the past few years. If anyone wants to get a beer and talk elk sh*t in the Denver area sometime, send me a PM!

I use lithium batteries in my Garmin 401 and only have it on when on the move. I only went thru 1 set of batteries in 12 days of hunting this past November. Not sure why yours drained so quick.

I enjoyed the read about your hunt. Thanks for posting it up as we all learn a little bit from each other off of this forum.

good stuff. with regards to e scouting i felt it's always good to have a plan b c d e f and g. whether its weather pressure or terrian, things will never seem like they are on google earth so it's super helpful to have backup plans that you can easily adapt to.

Also using the Add path feature with elevation profile to help plan hikes into base camp and glassing points is very helpful for understanding terrain that can be deceptive on GE. What i do is i've mapped out a couple triaing hikes with the add path feature that I will do by my house in prep for hunts. that way i have a baseline that I can compare to when scouting areas on the mainland that i might hunt. For instance there is a really tough fire road that i use for baseline that gains about 1k elevation in 1 mile at a max 39% grade. I know that that mile and grade is very tough for me just with a light daypack and no weight. if im e-scouting and looking at possible routes to access areas, ill use the add path and can check the elevation and distance traveled and if the grade is in the 30s I probably won't want to to use that path if it's any substantial distance. Terrain can look a lot easier on google earth just a good way that I've found to compare terrain

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up, sounds like alot of learning was done. I went with my buddy a couple years ago in the same shelter. It only took one rainy day to figure out its only a two man shelter in a pinch!

dtrkyman

WKR
Last hunt in CO. we base camped at a crowded trail head, I found elk less than 1.5 miles out, really nice basin that was surrounded on three sides by steep rocky terrain, other side was a 6 plus mile hike around all the junk, I saw nobody in there and passed a rag horn.

Fowler530

WKR
Thanks for the detailed write up! Always like to hear what does and doesn’t work for my fellow sliders!

RLD

FNG
Good read. You cant go wrong with the Gaia app. I've used it once in Colorado and three times in Idaho. Great app with a lot of features you will use through out the year.

Excellent recap! There is so much hunters can learn from people who have been there and take the time to do a write up like that. If new hunters can pick up where others left off they’ll be so much further ahead. Talk forums are great for flattening the learning curve.

I’ll tell you something interesting. I’ve been elk hunting for 35 years. To this day I’m still tweaking things. Every area and every situation is different. The thing that I find cool is that I still read and learn from threads from beginners. They ask questions about things I might not have thought of much. They just have fresh new perspectives on things. Nobody knows everything but together there’s a chance we can outsmart those damn things right!

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
As far as increasing you scouting with a family nothing is better than trail cams. They are expensive and require time to set but they pay off big time. You can reduce you learning curve on a unit real fast. A couple of tips. Lithium batteries don't leak like alkaline do. Set you cameras high, about ten feet, and point them down. Put cable locks on them. Take a look at my YouTube video "A Mountain of Bulls 2".
I was amazed at what I was able to capture.

ahatclif

FNG
I have a Moutainsmith LT and a SeekOutside Cimarron. If you haven't already done this buy a Line-loc extension kit from SeekOutside or rig something similar yourself. That allows you to pitch the shelter higher off the ground. This will significantly increase your air flow and decrease your condensation issues. Another advantage is that with the shelter pitched higher your overhead and effective square footage increases. The downside is you'll feel the wind blowing in under the shelter more and it wouldn't be advantageous in snow.

I'm 3 years in and I still can't kill anything but my camping game is shaping up.

ChrisAU

WKR
Give OnX a try. Its designed for hunting. I can't imagine going out west without it. My phone lasts 7 days using it a lot for OnX and photos using just a 12,000MAH charger to recharge it every couple days at night.

Thomas11

WKR
If u don’t have a phone base app for mapping, u r really at a disadvantage significantly. I use ONX but I’m sure others r good

Phaseolus

WKR
I’m old school, I won’t go without having 7.5” maps, the batteries never run down on them. It’s also rare for me to hunt an area I haven’t already scouted on foot. Elk move a lot, finding honey holes from GE is questionable. There are lots of ways of doing it.

I’m old school, I won’t go without having 7.5” maps, the batteries never run down on them. It’s also rare for me to hunt an area I haven’t already scouted on foot. Elk move a lot, finding honey holes from GE is questionable. There are lots of ways of doing it.
Ditto here! I’ve been using a gps since they first became available to civilians. Now I use onXmaps too. But there will never be a replacement for a good ol topo map that you can look at to get the big picture without zooming in and out or panning around.

Hi all!

I've learned so much that I thought I'd share my experiences in return for all of your valuable insight over the past few years. Definitely helped with my learning curve these last few seasons!

Getting there: I have a subaru outback and with all the stuff strapped on, I felt like Jed Clampett driving around. I'm really thinking of a full size pickup sometime in the future.

I was in a national forest OTC unit in Colorado from Sept 13th thru 21st. There was quite a bit of other hunters all camped off the forest road and I would say a significant number were hunting out of four wheelers and side-by-sides. It seemed that many of these people were simply driving back and forth on the forest road. This surprised me a bit as I spend so much time on Rokslide and generally assume that everyone is hiking in to their spots.

Google Earth will straight up lie to your face! The area looked completely different from the satellite photos on GE. The combination of topography, foliage, and ground features totally changed how my access points/trails were used in practice. I was surprised by the results of my e-scouting, in terms of where I expected to find elk sign and where we actually found it. One spot that I was sure was going to be covered in a herd of elk was completely desolate of any and all sign. Another spot that I was sure wasn't worth going into turned out to be the hot spot.

The whole meme about everyone going "5 miles in" is totally true. Mid week, we packed in 4 miles thru some brutal country to get to the "honey hole" and there were almost as many people packed into this area as there were in our general truck camp area! We were very diligent to setup our spike camp in terms of wind and sound discipline to not upset the honey hole. The next morning we found 7 tents setup smack in the middle of the honey hole. I still don't know what they were thinking.

A camp mate took a bull and myself and another packed the quarters out. Packing out quarters at elevation thru thick brush is no joke. I'm a US cycling cat 3 bicycle road racer and I was sucking wind, and glutes on fire, packing this thing out. I will change my training for this fo' sure going forward.

EQUIPMENT:
Pack: I was deciding between the xcurve and Kifaru. After trying the xcurve, I went to Kifaru on my lunch break (I live in Denver area) and Kayle (spelling?) helped me try out some things and get me fitted. Anders was super helpful for all of my post sale customer service questions. I bought the new Kifaru frame, a guide lid, and a grab it. This combo was perfect for day hunting and the pack out of the quarters. I can't imagine that pack out with my alice frame. I used my basic training issued duffel bag for my spike camp, it worked well enough but I could see a Reckoning or similar in the future. I would buy it all in 1 second if I had to. End of discussion there.

Boots: Lowa tibet gtx. I'm a super stiff boot kind of guy and these were awesome in all conditions. Especially trudging through some watery/muddy bogs. I will definitely have gaiters for the wet stuff going forward. Learned a hard lesson there. Crocs for at camp are the way to go.

Glass: Leica geovid hd b 10x42. These are a major step up from my 80's era Zeiss in terms of everything. Amazing. They were a bit much in terms of magnification for how thick the foliage was in our particular area. For day to day archery hunting, I think a mid range 8x30 is the way to go for the area I was in.

Trekking poles: Costco carbon specials. Game changer. I will always have poles on hunts with me (at least available back at camp). These things are beasts and comfy.

Clothing: Various merino wool cobbled together from sales and fleabay. Temp regulation and lack of body funk make merino my first choice going forward. I definitely ripped my pants a couple times on brush, but its still worth it to me. In past years my synthetic stuff stank so bad it almost made me cry. I'm not convinced that camo patterns are so important for elk, compared to earth-tone solid colors. Merino neck gaiter was awesome.

Navigation: I had paper maps and a garmin 401. I will definitely have a phone based app next time. I'm thinking the gaia app. I was surprised how fast my garmin 401 killed batteries, but maybe that's due to having WAAS turned on all the time?

Bow: I thought I was smart to have a 16" stabilizer, because my long range groups are so much better, but that thing was such a pain getting constantly hung up on brush that I'm doing something different next year.

Shelter: I brought a mountainsmith lt tarp. This is a one man shelter. I will not invite my buddy to share next time. It was too crowded for me. This thing was not fun after a rain due to the amount of condensation dripping down all night (this is a single wall issue not a mountainsmith lt issue specifically), but I do love the floorless design regardless. I understand the niche for a double wall in wet weather due to the condensation issues of single wall shelters.

Sleeping rig: UGQ goose down quilt. For my personal preference, this thing is killer. Big agnes q-core slx wide pad. For both quilt and pad, the wider the better for me (I'm 5'7" 165lb).

I think its important to be cognizant of how much your gear weighs, but utility, comfort, quality, and reliability win the day. Doing intense cardio training all year is WAY more important than gram counting, in my opinion.

Social media: The amount of pics of people with archery elk is really deceptive. Talking to other hunters in person has really reinforced to me how common it is to go home empty handed.

The real question is how do I do more boots on ground pre-season scouting with two small children at home? I'm not sure about that part!

I hope this is all helpful. I really appreciate all of your reviews and commentary over the past few years. If anyone wants to get a beer and talk elk sh*t in the Denver area sometime, send me a PM!
Are these the poles you have? Curious because I'm looking for carbon trekkers.

OP
shoeshineman
Are these the poles you have? Curious because I'm looking for carbon trekkers.
Yes! They are tough and lightweight. I really beat the piss out of them and they ran strong. Everyone seems to agree that the flip locks used by these are superior to the twist-locks used by other models, and I agree with that. My inlaws have twist lock on another "premium" brand and they aren't as good/reliable as these costco ones. These are a solid buy.