2017 Shot Show!

kickemall

WKR
Sent you a PM.

Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely of course),

I am pondering making a spontaneous and last minute decision to fly down to the sheep show from here in Alaska. I have never been, but its something I've always wanted to do. So, thought I would throw a few quick questions at you guys that have been before. First off, being there is a convention, and possibly more than one in town, would I typically have a problem finding a last minute hotel room somewhere. I've been to Vegas aplenty, but have never been to Reno, so not sure what the town is like and how hard it is finding a room when conventions are in town.

Are there any must see/attend events to do while at the show? I am not sure if going to some of the banquets, dinners, etc, is worth it. Anyway, I am kind of just spitballing the idea of attending, and figured I'd see what the guys who have been there, done that, have to say. If you have any advice, etc, please throw it my way.

Josh

Stwrt9

WKR
Also interested in hearing more about the new first Lite products Obsidian pants and sawtooth hybrid jacket.

Kickemall, thanks for the pm. I haven't received it yet, apparently Rokslide is having some server issues, but just wanted to preemptively thank you. I'll let ya know if it doesn't end up coming through.

BigDog00

WKR
Another vote for the FL Obsidians. And maybe any other new "gadgets" for the backcountry that you come across (i.e. stoves, survival, headlamps, etc.).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I want to see more on the First Light puffy pants. Do they have full side zips like their rain pants?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I second the desire to know more about the new Garmin Inreach

Garmin has already released the update info to the Inreach series. Just added the Delorme maps to the SE instead of the blank screen with your track displayed on it. Not a huge deal to me personally. The info is out there on the web.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I want to see more on the First Light puffy pants. Do they have full side zips like their rain pants?

I'm pissed they aren't offering them in ASAT. They can keep coming up with their proprietary patterns all they want, they look like everything else on the market now it seems like, but they need to at least offer the ASAT option since they are the elite supplier of all things ASAT.

Dameon

WKR
I'm pissed they aren't offering them in ASAT. They can keep coming up with their proprietary patterns all they want, they look like everything else on the market now it seems like, but they need to at least offer the ASAT option since they are the elite supplier of all things ASAT.

Seriously? I was really looking forward to these in ASAT. They really missed the mark on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Any and all rangefinders especially anything new.
Leica coming out with any upgrades?

Randy

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It is -4 here in Missoula waiting on my plane. 50 in Vegas is going to feel like 80! Can't wait to see the new gear.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Seriously? I was really looking forward to these in ASAT. They really missed the mark on this one.

Why would you need puffy pants in ASAT when the primary use is just glassing. You would take them off to do any real hunting. I know some ASAT users have a cult like following, but ASAT over Fusion in the grand scheme of things, while glassing from over hundreds of yards away, does not make a whole lot of difference.

Last edited:

Dameon

WKR
Why would you need puffy pants in ASAT when the primary use is just glassing. You would take them off to do any real hunting. I know some ASAT users have a cult like following, but ASAT over Fusion in the grand scheme of things, while glassing from over hundreds of yards away, does not make a whole lot of difference.

True, but I don't just hunt elk and I mostly still hunt with my bow. It would be great while still hunting for whitetails and turkey on the ground. It can still get near freezing in the mornings during the spring but easily warm up to the 60s or more during the day during spring turkey season. I'd rather have a light easily removable layer than insulated pants or bibs that I have to sweat in. It would also be terrific for mid-season whitetails for the same reason.

aggieland

WKR
I'm wanting to get my son a 17WSM anything new and decent priced at the shot show this year? Or anyone have any thought on a good first gun in this caliber? Thanks

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
True, but I don't just hunt elk and I mostly still hunt with my bow. It would be great while still hunting for whitetails and turkey on the ground. It can still get near freezing in the mornings during the spring but easily warm up to the 60s or more during the day during spring turkey season. I'd rather have a light easily removable layer than insulated pants or bibs that I have to sweat in. It would also be terrific for mid-season whitetails for the same reason.

You might be right, I was just thinking that they would be too noisy to use while hunting with much movement. You could probably get away with using them in a tree stand though.

Interested in hearing an update on the Hill People Gear Titanium Shepherd Stove. I really thought this design would be perfect, but after being wait listed for over a year and hearing delay after delay, I'm starting to sour on the idea. If someone could get their hands on one I'd love to hear some feedback on whether or not this design is worth the suspense.

Last edited: