2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 FYI

hunterjmj

WKR
Just got done replacing the torque converter on our 17' Chevy pickup. Transmission started acting weird and I got online and found out this is a common issue with 14' -18' model years with the 6L80 transmission. Ours started acting up at 120,000 miles. If you have one of these I'd be on the look out. From what I understand if it's not taken care of it can cause serious damage to the transmission. Just an FYI for all you guys driving a rig with this transmission.

TxLite

WKR
In my experience GM stands for Gcolossal Mpieceofshit

This is based off a 2015 Equinox and a 2017 Yukon Denali, which shared a lot of parts with your Silverado. Have since parted ways with GM and do not intend to return.

Last edited:
That generation of gm half tons suck, torque converters and lifters. Had to have a trans put in my wifes Ford edge awhile back, the shop that did it had that generation chevy stacked up like cord wood. They said if you put a billet torque converter in them by 60-80k they were fine, but most people wait till failure.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I took mine out and inspected the pump, gears, etc and ended just changing the torque converter. I didn't buy the billet but paid extra for an upgraded converter. She shifts smooth as silk now. Not a big fan of GM after this pickup. I've had many chevys over the years but doubt I'll buy another unless it's a 72' K2500!

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
That generation of gm half tons suck, torque converters and lifters.

They also have known issues with their AC condensers. End up cracking at the welds and need to be replaced. Generally around 100k miles. Ours went at 85ish. I think it ran me $1300 and know of 4 others that had the same issue on 2017-2018 Sierras and Yukons. The guy at the dealership said at this point he could do them in his sleep.

Mt Al

WKR
.... unless it's a 72' K2500!
Hell's yeah!! Have owned a total of 5 of the 67-72s, love them and daily drove one for almost 20 years.

I have a 2008-2012 series Denali w/230,000 and keep putting money into it because every mechanic I've talked to shows me how the newer ones are a total PIA.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
They also have known issues with their AC condensers. End up cracking at the welds and need to be replaced. Generally around 100k miles. Ours went at 85ish. I think it ran me $1300 and know of 4 others that had the same issue on 2017-2018 Sierras and Yukons. The guy at the dealership said at this point he could do them in his sleep.
I've done this too. I also replaced the touch screen and the front hubs.

TxLite

WKR
I've done this too. I also replaced the touch screen and the front hubs.
Checks out. Also had a transmission harness fail, torque converter woes, and all 4 magnaride shocks fail just after the warranty was up. Go figure.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Don't forget the trans thermostat sticking too. Had that happen 100 miles into a trip towing a boat. Hi temp alarm at 5:27am, back home with AAA at 2:15pm. Back on the road in another truck at 3pm. Arrived at 9pm instead of 9am.

Trans temp was reading 260 and the hot line to the radiator was room temp. $30 part replaces the thermostat with a check valve and heat tempered spring, so fluid can always pass and more flow the hotter it gets. Has worked fine so far. But I suggest doing it before it leaves you stranded.

bozeman

WKR
My 2015 has only needed the touchscreen replaced, all other has still been good. 145,000 miles and praying for another 145K!

summs

Lil-Rokslider
My 2015 has only needed the touchscreen replaced, all other has still been good. 145,000 miles and praying for another 145K!
Was yours doing the input where it changes screens? It happens, but not a game breaker. Otherwise, besides a $30 part, truck is at 135,000 miles and had been pretty trouble free. It needs struts soon, rusty NE road salt.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Just got done replacing the torque converter on our 17' Chevy pickup. Transmission started acting weird and I got online and found out this is a common issue with 14' -18' model years with the 6L80 transmission. Ours started acting up at 120,000 miles. If you have one of these I'd be on the look out. From what I understand if it's not taken care of it can cause serious damage to the transmission. Just an FYI for all you guys driving a rig with this transmission.
That’s why I traded my ‘17 last year. When it did it the first time under warranty they told me it was a bad solenoid. I ask why it might of went bad, and got the answer it just happens.
Shortly after that it happens again, but it’s out of warranty at this point. Now it’s the more expensive torque converter and transmission. Terrible design.
I was told by a good transmission shop that they have been putting torque converters in from the 2500’s. They are apparently built better and won’t fall apart. I would look into that. They said they have been doing it for years.

bozeman

WKR
Was yours doing the input where it changes screens? It happens, but not a game breaker. Otherwise, besides a $30 part, truck is at 135,000 miles and had been pretty trouble free. It needs struts soon, rusty NE road salt.
Yes, mine would change screens, change music stations and songs on a playlist....had a mind of its own.

stateguy

FNG
Checks out. Also had a transmission harness fail, torque converter woes, and all 4 magnaride shocks fail just after the warranty was up. Go figure.
i had my harness failed also. Was under warranty
can you tell me how you know your shocks failed
because I think I am feeling ever bump and thought it was a lot smoother ride when the truck was brand new

TxLite

WKR
i had my harness failed also. Was under warranty
can you tell me how you know your shocks failed
because I think I am feeling ever bump and thought it was a lot smoother ride when the truck was brand new
They were riding like shit, crawled under and took a look and they were leaking. Replaced them with Arnott’s version that come with a lifetime warranty

stateguy

FNG
mine shifts like crap also
like the guy said above me. I also had my transmission harness replaced
But I here a lot about this torque converter being bad
i also feel it doesn’t have the pep it once had being brand new. I have the 6.2 liter
any idea how much it would cost to have gm repair