2016 WY first Elk hunt preps.... Advise/suggestions are all welcome

Todai16

FNG
Good day all,
I put in for a NR General tag rifle for WY this coming Elk season and hoping for some inputs on gear and strategies if I get lucky and draw a tag. This will be my first time to hunt these massive animals and really don't know what to expect. I understand that the real work happens when an Elk is down and so any advise on gear, conditions, and preparations are all welcome. Please take it easy on me as this is my 2nd post after I introduced myself on the FnG forum. I been reading a lot about Elk and watching the famous DVDs for elk hunting. Anyone especially from WY are more than welcome to comment. I will be hunting with a family friend who lives in WY but he is new to elk hunting too. He is a resident. We will be going to area 12 on Opening Day Hunting off of a truck as base camp for 7 days. Gear for each day consist of these with all the other necessities in the base camp.

Tikka T3Lite 300 WM w/ Leupold 3-9x40 (is 180g Barnes TSX enough?)
First Lite Llano,Chama,Boxer (ASATs)
C4E Mountain Mimicry Torrent Rain Jacket,
Sitka Timberline Pant (Gray)
Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket (Gray)
Asolo Tpx Boots
REI wool socks
OR Gaiters
Orange Hat
Cabelas Prestige 85L Frame Pack
Vortex Diamondback 10x42 Binos (will a tripod be necessary with binos or am I screwed without a spotting scope)
Trekking Poles
Garmin eTrex 30
Havalon Baracuta w/ 6 blades and saw
Meat Bags (no clue which ones are good for Elk)
Food/Snacks/water
Elk calls (I'm not a good blower...lol, should I put extra time into this or just spot and stalk enough)

My friend said there could be chance of snow on the ground. Are my clothes enough for cold? I got a Sitka Stratus Jacket but it's heavy. Does it rain? I've been walking with my pack filled with 70lbs weight and its heavy! I know anything can happen during and after a hunt but is this a good weight to train for? I'm only training at sea level. in the WY mountains, will this affect my energy level and endurance significantly? I know many of you say that "you will learn a lot on your first trip and Whatever happens, you just gotta keep going at it!!" Staying still is my weakness, I tend to whistle and sing to myself sometimes, is this a deal breaker? Last thing is, money don't grow out of trees at my household that include a wife (doesn't like hunting but let's me hunt) and a high maintenance, extremely bitchy and snobby female chocolate lab (hates hunting-wtf). (she's mugging me as I write this. Bit me yesterday for putting her up on CL for re-homing... Just kidding). My budget is small but any advise on necessary gear is much appreciated. Thank you all in advance. Great site!!

HA! Kinda wish i was going with you, Your enthusiasm is contagious!
I am not in WY but in CO, so cant speak specifically about your area,but I do live in the same mountain range.
Be ready for rain for sure. Snow and hail are more than likely to show too.
Singing and whistling to yourself is totally a deal breaker if you are hunting.;)
You have asked for a ton of info,and im sure alot of guys will help.
best of luck to you!

Last edited:
300 should be plenty of gun. I really like bugling bulls temptress for a cow call, easy to use and sounds great. Took my less than a minute to make good sounds. Using a spotter is greatly dependent on terrain. I brought mine last year and used it once. I must say a tripod would be sweet with a bino adapter though. Might look into one for this year. If staying still is your weakness are you going to be able to glass anyways? I have a hard time with it but i have really been trying learn the area im in first hand and am learning that there are not any elk in the area we have been hitting. We are moving btw. 70lbs is alot especially if you are base camping from a truck. But for training purposes it will make a less wait pack seem easier down the road. For a day hunt i can get down to 10-15 lbs total pack weight. Kill kit, lunch, water, survival kit, puffy. Get some small nylon pouches so you can sort stuff out in you bag. I run hot so i dont wear much but will carry layers if its cold. The mountains are gonna kick you butt physically you always feel like damn i should done more!

OP
T

Todai16

FNG
HA! Kinda wish i was going with you, Your enthusiasm is contagious!
I am not in WY but in CO, so cant speak specifically about your area,but I do live in the same mountain range.
Be ready for rain for sure. Snow and hail are more than likely to show too.
Singing and whistling to yourself is totally a deal breaker if you are hunting.;)
You have asked for a ton of info,and im sure alot of guys will help.
best of luck to you!

Bonedalien, ok I just gotta learn to shut my mouth. Got it! Thanks for the info on the rain. Definitely bringing my Helly Hansens light weights impertecs to try them out.

OP
T

Todai16

FNG
300 should be plenty of gun. I really like bugling bulls temptress for a cow call, easy to use and sounds great. Took my less than a minute to make good sounds. Using a spotter is greatly dependent on terrain. I brought mine last year and used it once. I must say a tripod would be sweet with a bino adapter though. Might look into one for this year. If staying still is your weakness are you going to be able to glass anyways? I have a hard time with it but i have really been trying learn the area im in first hand and am learning that there are not any elk in the area we have been hitting. We are moving btw. 70lbs is alot especially if you are base camping from a truck. But for training purposes it will make a less wait pack seem easier down the road. For a day hunt i can get down to 10-15 lbs total pack weight. Kill kit, lunch, water, survival kit, puffy. Get some small nylon pouches so you can sort stuff out in you bag. I run hot so i dont wear much but will carry layers if its cold. The mountains are gonna kick you butt physically you always feel like damn i should done more!

Got it. I will look for Bugling Bulls Temptress. Definitely a tripod and bino adapter. Any recommendations on a tripod? I was thinking about TAG kill kit but there seems to be a recall? Gotta research some more about this. Nylon pouches...noted. I live in Sitka,AK so rain don't bother me but I don't like cold rain. "mountains will kick my butt" dang it..ok I don't mind as long as I get to hangout with my good friend, see wild life and come home in one piece. Little intimidated now but I just gotta do it so I can figure out what I can and can't do. Thanks Schnagelbagel.

First welcome to the forum. As stated above I wish I was going with you due to your enthusiasm. Area 12 will be a fun hunt. Try not to get frustrated with people. There tends to be a lot during rifle but you can get away from them and find some elk. I forgot to comment on the tripod. It is unnecessary as where most of the elk are will be in the timber.

power54

FNG
.300 WM is perfect. I shoot 165 TSX in my .300 wsm and they haven't let me down. Your gear list looks more than adequate. I have never hunted the SE part of the state but I have a friend that hunts down there and he said the terrain he hunts doesn't allow for too much glassing. I'm not sure what unit he was in but, long story short, you'll be fine with binos. I personally don't think a tripod is necessary for elk. I don't carry one while I'm elk hunting and I haven't had a problem killing an elk. In some situations, absolutely but I don't think its essential if you're trying to save some cash for your first hunt. I also use the temptress, great call. Practice though. If you can't make it sound good, do not use it. A bad cow call is much, much worse than no cow call. A hoochie mama is better than no cow call but I'd only use that if you can't make one of the other calls sound good. You can also save cash by using the Alaska Game Bags, they work fine you just have to avoid snagging them on sticks. I use them more than any others because they're light, inexpensive and do the job. I also have TAG (I think) and they work great. Just a bit heavier. No matter what, sea level to elevation and you're going to feel it! If you're training now with 70 lbs though, that is only going to help you! I may cut it down to 50 until you get a bit closer just to save your knees.

Good luck!

Felix40

WKR
Two things I wish I had known my first year: Rain and hail are pretty much a guarantee. And you NEED meat bags if you kill one. You can buy some or if money is an issue its easy to make some. I bought the biggest pillow cases I could find for $5 a pair and sewed a seam up the middle to make two bags out of each one. Add some p-cord to the top for a cinch and you can put an elk in 6-7 of these(that's 4 pillow cases). You have to debone into fairly small chunks (football size) but it's not hard at all. Plus when you go to hang them in a tree you only have about 30 pounds in each bag which is way easier than a big bag. I am really happy with this set up for what it cost to make.

Getting time under a heavy pack is key to feeling good in the mountains too. In my group last year two of us trained with 90# all summer and the third guy didn't. Typically the third guy is the strongest in the group but we blew him away last year. I think the next best think to rucking would be ridin a bike up some steep hills. It engages the same muscles hiking up hill does.

Last edited:
OP
T

Todai16

FNG
Thank you WyoBowhunter21. Need to calm myself down at times just thinking about it.

Power54... Thanks for the advise on hoochie mama. I will try that one. Maybe I can blow that better. Told the wife to teach me to blow and I got slapped....backhanded style. Not good. Lol. Oh great heads up on the 50#s until it gets close. My left knee is a little weak due to getting run over by some old dude playing flag football.

Felix40. That is a great idea on meat bags. I just found a bunch of pillow cases in the attic...wtf. I think my mother-in-law hoards these things. Maybe I can put them to good use when she leaves. Lol. And put them back unwashed...hahahaha. Sorry. Man I tell ya!!smh

OP
T

Todai16

FNG
Any recommendations on energy food/bars? I know we will be having base camp to come to every evening but up in the Mts, what do u guys eat? I have done day trips in SE Alaska Mts with PB&J Sandwich and couple of cliff bars but that just taste like eating a piece of card board to me. Maybe I'm not used to it. Also, how hard is hunting timber compared to open alpine? We have willows up here and they are like my dog..pain in the a**. I picture the WY timber as big trees and clear undergrowth. Maybe I watch too much tv. Lol

wyosteve

WKR
Todai, you're correct on the 'clear undergrowth'. Along the creeks you'll get willows, but that's about the only thick stuff.

OP
T

Todai16

FNG
Holy crap, I drew a tag. Thanks for the great advise and suggestions. It's for real now. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrggggg! Can't wait. Gotta start packing tomorrow. Lol! Rain, snow, hail, whatever...I'm going.!! Omg, I'm about to shit myself!!! So excited.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I like Quest Bars and Pro Bars in my pack for hunting. A water filter or other method of treating water is good to have in the pack so you don't have to carry as much and when you run out you can just stop at a creek and get more. I hunted area 10 a few years ago, it has pretty high elevation, the terrain in unit 12 will get up there. If you can get there a few days before the hunt to help acclimatize to the altitude.

OP
T

Todai16

FNG
I like Quest Bars and Pro Bars in my pack for hunting. A water filter or other method of treating water is good to have in the pack so you don't have to carry as much and when you run out you can just stop at a creek and get more. I hunted area 10 a few years ago, it has pretty high elevation, the terrain in unit 12 will get up there. If you can get there a few days before the hunt to help acclimatize to the altitude.

JP7, Thanks for the heads up. I will be there couple days before the opening day. Hopefully I won't get elevation sickness. I will look into protein bars for sure.