2016 F150 with 2.7l ecoboost - have questions

late to the party here...but from my personal experience the 2.7L/6R80 combo has been solid.
I've not seen any major issues come through our shop on them short of one melted down from failure to repair a coolant leak from water pump.
The 6R80 trans is good overall. They had issues with the internal trans wiring harness that Ford calls a 'Lead frame'...gotta drop valve body to replace but not a big deal as long as they don't go on backorder like they did a for 6 months or awhile back where only way to get one was buy a whole valve body.
Don't be shocked if a rear diff pinion or side bearing fails resulting in rear diff overhaul needed anywhere from 80k up...still not horrendous repair though.
Other than that typical ford wheel bearing, auto hub, ball joint and brake caliper issues can be expected anywhere north of 80-100k miles...but thats any 1/2 ton domestic truck these days.
I'd take one of those over a GM or Ram product of similar vintage. Rear leaf springs can be a but weak on the f150s...RAS system or custom spring if you tow or haul heavy helps with that.
I'd still buy a '14-'21 tundra over anything else 1/2ton wise, but the 2.7l or 5.0L f150 with 6r80 trans would be close second.

I have a 2017 F150 with the 2.7 eco and the 6 speed. I currently have 143k and haven't had any major issues. Steering wheel control module had to be replaced under warranty. My major complaint is the plastic oil pan. They're single use technically. Once they've been torqued, if you take them off then you're supposed to replace the whole thing. I had mine replaced under warranty and it's fairly common for them to leak. It wasn't a major oil leak, the pan was on backorder for 6 months while I was waiting for mine and only added oil a couple times. I run 32" nitto recon grapplers and I'll get about 18 mpg avg for driving around, sometimes better on the highway.

elkivory

FNG
I have 164k on my 18 and am loving both the 2.7 and the 10 speed so far. On average the 6 speed will probably be more reliable though
Have you changed transmission fluid? I have 2020 with 2.7 and 10 speed. 46k miles and minimal towing. Love it so far, but wondering when I need to change tranny fluid. Thanks

CB4

WKR
I have the exact truck. I love it. Have had zero engine/transmission issues. I get roughly 19mpg on the highway. You wont regret it.

SouthPaw

WKR
2016 2.7L 6sp 4x4, 6.5ft bed/topper with 150k miles. Zero issues. Its been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. With the 3.73 gears its quick and tows well, and does 20mpg with LT all terrains.

OP
coloyooper
Finished the deal yesterday. My wife and kids love the extra leg room campared to the old Tacoma. Very happy with the purchase.