2015 Elk Season

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
For 2015 I have 3 elk tags in my pocket. 1 for Washington, 1 for Montana & 1 for Idaho. I wanted to start a thread and keep adding to it as the season rolls on.

First up was Washington. Myself and my buddy Travis hiked in a few miles Friday after work and set up our camp. I have hunted the area before and I had a general idea of where we would find elk the next morning. I only had the weekend to hunt this tag so the first cow I saw was getting an arrow. Anyway, we were waiting on the edge of a meadow as the sun came up and we started slipping through towards the timber. We found some pretty fresh sign but no elk. We started dropping into the drainage when we heard a distant bugle. We checked the wind and got below him (wind coming downhill) and started moving towards him. He kept sounding off and we kept closing the distance. Finally trav found a few elk with his binos at 100 yards and I slipped off my pack and stalked in. The wind was perfect and I when I got to 60 yards a nice cow was broadside feeding. I sent an arrow through the lungs and she went a few feet and stopped. So I sent another good arrow through her and she tipped over. 9:00 A.M. and my tag was notched! We cut her up and packed her to the truck in 1 trip. Great way to start my fall.

Heavy packs!

Trav was able to get it all on film too!

[video=youtube;jf928Z7sC3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf928Z7sC3E[/video]

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Next up is Montana. I leave the 25th to meet up with Jonboy

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jon and I hiked in Sunday morning and we were on elk immediately. Haven't been able to put it together yet but have been full draw twice and on elk the whole time. Hiked out to re supply and staying until Friday night.

Last edited:

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats man. We hunted the stampede unit hard this year. Was an Indian massacre unfortunately. They had 12 bulls down (confirmed) with rifles a week before we went in. And continued through the season, we heard a few rifle shots every day. Made the hunting hard. But still no excuse, we didn't get it done. Bulls were very call shy. We still ended up cow calling a huge 5 point into 12.5 yards but couldn't get a shot. Saw a ton of animals and had a great time. Good luck with the rest of your tags!

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slowest morning so far. Accidentally got into a herd right by camp this morning before shooting light. Kinda F'ed us. Anyway, hiking out tomorrow after the morning hunt. Going to drink some fine Montana beer Friday night then head to idaho Saturday morning where I'm picking up Trav from the airport and then headed for the mountains to hopefully fill my cow tag.

Ole jonboy all tuckered out after a morning of being knee deep in elk.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slim pickins this morning. 1 spike is all. The elk have shut off it seems like.