2014 Elk Meatpole

Ryan, that is one heck of a creature you put down right there. Congrats on a great shot on a stud bull.

Jared, looks like you had a pretty good hour of hunting also congrats to you as well. Doubles sure aren't easy to accomplish especially in archery let alone the work it takes to pack out both animals, well done.

Congrats on your bull as well. What a dandy and a great picture to boot.

Two buddies and I were day hunting private land in CO and took four elk in about three minutes with cow and OTC bull tags about 30 minutes before sunset. Took us about seven hours to gut, recover and hang all four in the cold and dark, and spent most of the next day skinning and quartering. We had to go buy two more big coolers to hold all of the meat.

Finally got some pics uploaded to my photobucket account.
Got this guy right before sunset in the last week of September, in my favourite area for elk here in good ole” Alberta.

Story to follow but here is the gist…

He had about 20-25 cows with him and a 5x5 satellite bull just on the outskits. Ranged him at 47 yards - settled to shoot but he turned on the shot because the 5x5 bull called right when I shot. I heard a big swack but my arrow looked a little far back, luckily, I managed to stop him at 64 yards and followed up with a perfect shot.

View attachment 20552View attachment 20553

Horrible pics but I couldn't move him to save my life. His fronts were locked into that root ball and I never actually saw the abnormal side until I took the last quarter off him and rolled him over. He is a 6x6 with 3 main beams.

Awesome bull, I had a similar bull on my camera regularly before the season started but I wasn't able to locate him during the hunt.

Not a bull but this the first Elk my wife has taken. After moving to Utah 3 years ago she finally drew the cow tag we wanted. We saw the herd and managed to have a good angle on them allowing us to get to them just in time. At 200 yards she made a perfect shot behind the shoulder. Her 7mm-08 dropped the elk. Great experience. Its these moments that we moved for. Now I have to hear her brag that she killed an elk before me.

My 2014 WA 'Roosevelt' bull from Sept. The new Kifaru Nomad on my Bikini frame paid dividends on the three mile pack out.
f5c0b4c2b444ef511b3a86446f6c711b.jpg

5b4a019f2c85ee172f64c9a206d8bf02.jpg
bafcb6b5d82b53719f150ba012c267cb.jpg
shot this bull and couldn't find him(paunch hit) till a week after the hunt ended. Dealt with fish and game for two weeks before they let me retrieve the antlers.

Back