2013 sheep turned goat hunt

tuffcity

WKR
Might as well make this my introductory post:) This is posted on a different site so my apologies to those who have seen it already.
A little background: my wife decided to take up hunting in a big way again about 3 years ago. So every year since we have done at least one fly in trip, spring bear hunts, hike in mulie hunting and usually a late November whitetail hunt. I seem to have been relegated to packer/skinner/etc for the most part but that's fine by me. :) I get just as big a thrill out of her taking animals as I would pulling the trigger. Her "mountain rifle" of choice is a ml Knight Revolution in .50 cal, mine is a recurve but I usually pack either an '06 for extended trips or my .375 if we're grizzly hunting.

Any way, here's this August's fly in trip:

After last year's “no tag cut” sheep hunt, Helen and I once again pointed our noses north in search of her first Stone sheep ram.

600 miles of pavement, 240 of gravel (complete with one flat tire), 80 miles in a 185 on floats, 6 miles on foot to a base camp and we were at it again!

We picked up a horse trail about 3 miles up the drainage (came in from a side valley) that made the pack in a bit easier.

hikein-s_zpse23d2f7f.jpg

We set up a camp at about 6000’ and headed out in different directions each day...

glassing-s_zps7897148c.jpg

… except for this day…

snowday-s_zpse756310a.jpg

snowday2-s_zps3c60e3cc.jpg

We searched high and wide…

exploring2a-s_zps6ebbb7b7.jpg

Panorama2-s_zps3e0463b1.jpg

Panorama1-s_zps537174d6.jpg

… but not a sheep did we find.

sillohouette-s_zpsd05e2ea1.jpg

So in the last few days of our trip we turned our attention to goats, somewhat accidentally as I was glassing a side hill and spotted a Billy as he moved out of one hollow to the next. Helen had a tag so an hour later we were creeping down the side of the mountain to where I was sure I had correctly land-marked his location. Much to Hel’s surprise I was right this time and, after initially freezing for what turned out to be a large white rock, we saw the top of a goat’s back, its hair rippling in the wind.

We made ourselves small on the side of the mountain.

The goat disappeared behind the rise.

“What’s the plan?” queried Helen

“Wait”

“What?”

“Wait” I said again. “It will probably feed its way out in a minute”. Surprisingly that’s what happened. A few minutes later the Billy strolled out from behind the small hump and without so much as a glance our way, stood and surveyed the valley below. Being right twice in one day was indeed a big accomplishment for me but I didn’t dwell on it too long.

He was 75 yards away.

I watched him through my bino’s and Hel had him lined up in the scope of her muzzleloader.

“Is he a good one?” she asked.

“Not too bad” I said. “Looks bigger than your last one”

“Should I take him?”

“Up to you”

“ShouldIshoothim!?”

“Your call”

I thought for a very brief moment she was going to let him walk, but then a roll of thunder and a cloud of smoke let me know she had sparked the powder in her Knight .50.

For once I was on the right side of her cannon and smoke didn’t obscure my view of the goat. He hunched up like he was hit hard, looked up the mountain at us, looked back down at the valley, turned and took 3 steps and fell over stone dead.

Hel had taken her second muzzleloader goat.

Hwithgoat2-s_zpsff122b76.jpg

The pack out to the lake was one of the tougher ones I’ve done.

I realized it was going to be trouble when we had all our camp divvied up and loaded, and I also had most of the de-boned goat and the whole hide, and I went to stand up with my pack on. I tried to roll forward to get up… nothing budged. I tried to roll from one side to the other to get the weight under me… nothing budged. This wasn’t going to be good.

I got Hel to come over and lift the pack and push me forward at the same time and finally I staggered to my feet.

Rloadedup-s_zps27b6e681.jpg

Once upright, the 150+ lb pack (I weighed it when I got home) didn’t feel too bad… for the first 400 yards. Then my hips started to protest this injustice. At 51 my bumper to bumper warrantee has long since expired but I figured if I might need “after-market” replacement parts this was going to tell me, so I was happy it was only my hips that were ticked off- they’d get over it. The “you’re too old for this shite” side of the brain kept piping up with that statement but then the optimistic side said “hey you’re still able to do it!” 3 miles in the “too old” side was starting to win the argument. We might have to bring the kids next year.

The 6 mile pack out to the lake was fairly uneventful, except for a terrifying moment when I stepped off a small bank and a rock rolled out from under my back foot. I pitched over to my left and managed to plant the trek pole into the rocks of the creek bed to stop me from going over. My back leg was stretched out and partially bent (like doing a lunge) and all the pack weight was on my rear leg and pole. I looked down and the Leki pole was bent like one of my strung recurves and at the angle I was at I couldn’t stand back up. I was really hoping that pole would hold and not snap and pitch me into the creek bed.

“Ahh, Helen!” I believe there was a tone of urgency to my voice.

Was I ever glad to see the lake. There were a couple of airline sized shots of whiskey in the “lake bag” and 40 Creek and hot chocolate never tasted that good. That and a couple of fresh trout for dinner put a happy stamp on the end of our trip.

Tim and the “Fresh Air” Cessna picked us up the following day and we had a beautiful flight back.

P1010095_zpsf9cb29f8.jpg

So strike two on the sheep but another goat for Hel and a fine adventure regardless.

RC

Last edited:
Sounds like a damn fine adventure. Super write up thanks for sharing and welcome to great community here at rokslide

Those mature Billies are a LOAD, congrats to you both. As one that just went north of 50 myself, I will just say I can relate to everything you said. I recently had a very similar conversation with myself. :)

What wonderfully beautiful country!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Congrats to you and to Helen on a fine goat and a great adventure! I love hearing about couples who enjoy hunting together, super special... Thanks for sharing with us and welcome to Rokslide!

Very cool. I like your writing style. Maybe you could share some of your other adventures with us. It sounds like you've been on a few.

Back