Dall Sheep Shape

Alright sheep hunting gurus, if I can I’d like to pick your brains about sheep hunting in the Northwest Territories. I’m curious about how physical the hunt is. On average, how many miles does a backpack sheep hunter do in a day? How much elevation gain/loss should an upcoming sheep hunter plan on? What was typical elevation for your hunts.

I live in Colorado at 5,000 ft. I hunt elk typically at 8-12,000 feet and we typically do 8-12 miles a day with an average of 1,500 feet of elevation gain/loss while elk hunting. I’m just trying to get an idea of what sheep hunting is like in comparison, so I can adjust my workout regime accordingly.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I'd agree you're ready. The mountains in NWT/Yukon don't have the great elevation the Colo. Rockies do so altitude shouldn't bother you.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree- no worries about altitude.

I think your elk hunting is in the ballpark for miles/elevation per day.

One thing to consider is that most sheep hunts are 10-12 days; longer than my typical elk outings.

Get a lot of Zone 2 stuff in and get a lot of days in a row when you can.

One thing that completely caught me off guard was the tundra. Nothing you can really train for, but the constant sinking (and pulling up) takes it out of you pretty good.

I wish I would have spent a little more time in rock (although more risky as far as injuries go)- lots of climbing/descending/side-hilling in rock.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Was in NWT in Aug. I'm a flatlander but done elk and such before. I'll echo what was mentioned earlier in that altitude shouldn't be a big deal. The terrain was the hardest adjustment for me. I didn't have access to mountainous, rocky terrain and the tundra type ground. I found that the constant unstable footing is tough on the joints and ligaments if you're not used to it. I trained quite a bit with weighted lunges, squats, etc and still ended up with a really bad lcl sprain day 9. Never had it happen before and it was terrible trying to sidehill once that pain started. Not sure how to train for that other than seeking out ground like that but in my experience that was the toughest part.

Don’t over think it. If you are in shape to hunt elk hard in CO at elevation then you will be fine. Although it can be tough Sheep hunting is at a gentleman’s pace compared to chasing bugles and for me hunting below 8-10k ft is much more pleasant. Focus your training on the grind of daily climbing with camp on your back and you will be ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My one dall sheep hunt was easier than most of my elk hunts. IMO the difficult reputation they have comes from the DIY hunts, especially walk in guys. But when you’ve got guide/packer and cub or heli support, I’d be more worried about being in shape for a diy high country elk or muley hunt.

OP
bowtech3dhunter
Don’t over think it. If you are in shape to hunt elk hard in CO at elevation then you will be fine. Although it can be tough Sheep hunting is at a gentleman’s pace compared to chasing bugles and for me hunting below 8-10k ft is much more pleasant. Focus your training on the grind of daily climbing with camp on your back and you will be ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Climbing with camp on your back.

Are you carrying your entire camp in your pack everyday all day and then just camping there at dark? Or spiking into an area and doing day trips with an empty pack and coming back to camp?

Climbing with camp on your back.

Are you carrying your entire camp in your pack everyday all day and then just camping there at dark? Or spiking into an area and doing day trips with an empty pack and coming back to camp?

Both scenarios will happen on a sheep hunt. Be prepared to hike with you camp on your back multiple days. Sometimes you have to take camp, sometimes you don't, and sometimes you siwash.

Physically wise just keep doing what you are doing or do more if possible. Legs and cardio are the biggies. Mentally is where you will want to be the strongest. Your head will let you down before your body will. Weather, not seeing legal rams/sheep, hard climbs, blown stalks, etc. will shut you down first.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Physically wise just keep doing what you are doing or do more if possible. Legs and cardio are the biggies. Mentally is where you will want to be the strongest. Your head will let you down before your body will. Weather, not seeing legal rams/sheep, hard climbs, blown stalks, etc. will shut you down first.
I will post in Mtn Tough section, but for what it's worth for those who use the app, Mtn Tough has a couple of great resources on just this thing.

ColeyG

WKR
I would say an average day of Dall sheep hunting, for me at least, is usually 8 miles and 3500 feet of elevation gain and then loss. On any given hunt there will be days that will double those numbers and half of those numbers based on where you are at and what you are doing.

Sometimes the miles be will be under heavy packs (50-60lb), otherwise you will be day tripping from a base/spike camp.

For my training hikes leading into sheep season, I am usually trying to log 5-6 miles with 45 pounds on my back while gaining 2500-3000 feet. If I am able to do that a handful of times and feel pretty good while doing it, I feel like I am usually fairly well prepared for what my average sheep hunt throws at me.

What seems to take it out of people the most on sheep hunts isn't necessarily the miles or elevation gain, but the fact that these miles and elevation gain are being put in on rough, steep, loose terrain. Not all miles are created equal...

OP
bowtech3dhunter
I would say an average day of Dall sheep hunting, for me at least, is usually 8 miles and 3500 feet of elevation gain and then loss. On any given hunt there will be days that will double those numbers and half of those numbers based on where you are at and what you are doing.

Sometimes the miles be will be under heavy packs (50-60lb), otherwise you will be day tripping from a base/spike camp.

For my training hikes leading into sheep season, I am usually trying to log 5-6 miles with 45 pounds on my back while gaining 2500-3000 feet. If I am able to do that a handful of times and feel pretty good while doing it, I feel like I am usually fairly well prepared for what my average sheep hunt throws at me.

What seems to take it out of people the most on sheep hunts isn't necessarily the miles or elevation gain, but the fact that these miles and elevation gain are being put in on rough, steep, loose terrain. Not all miles are created equal...

Great info. Thank you!

MattB

WKR
Agree- no worries about altitude.

I think your elk hunting is in the ballpark for miles/elevation per day.

One thing to consider is that most sheep hunts are 10-12 days; longer than my typical elk outings.

Get a lot of Zone 2 stuff in and get a lot of days in a row when you can.

One thing that completely caught me off guard was the tundra. Nothing you can really train for, but the constant sinking (and pulling up) takes it out of you pretty good.

I wish I would have spent a little more time in rock (although more risky as far as injuries go)- lots of climbing/descending/side-hilling in rock.
Just strap giant sponges to your boots and then walk on cobblestones. ;-)

The highest I have been in NWT was ~7K and frankly the hiking isn't that tough in most areas. It is just that the areas are vast and the miles per day to get between bands of rams can be pretty far.

ColeyG

WKR
Just strap giant sponges to your boots and then walk on cobblestones. ;-)

The highest I have been in NWT was ~7K and frankly the hiking isn't that tough in most areas. It is just that the areas are vast and the miles per day to get between bands of rams can be pretty far.

A friend with 40+ years of sheep hunting in AK did a 18 day hunt in the Yukon this year and logged around 180 miles. He said something pretty similar re: covering lots of distance between drainages and bands of rams. Less elevation gain and loss than compared to average terrain in AK, but lots of miles.

cbeard64

WKR
I would venture to say the vast majority of NR Dall sheep hunters are not in near as good a shape as you.

I wasn’t and never have been. I can’t say it was exactly easy on me but I did fine. IMO mental toughness is the key requirement for sheep hunting. Of course, the further you are down the scale of physical preparedness the more mental toughness is required. 😊