2012 Mule Deer set-ups

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Jared, I just thought maybe I was doing something wrong. That is a boost of confidence I need and will just help me feel even better when I do release the string on a buck this season in the high country.

Slim Jim - considering your work out and shooting regimen you might have a form issue that's causing you to tire out when shooting. Nothing at all wrong with shooting 60 pounds if that's comfortable, but you might be able to be steadier even when you're fresh if you tune up your form. Also the rate at which you're launching arrows during practice might be the cause of the shoulder fatigue. 50 arrows on a regular basis is plenty to stay in good shooting shape - you only need one good one when you're hunting right?

DC

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
RosinBag, Matt - I like your style!!

Hoyt Matrix Plus RKT
Spot Hogg - Tommy Hogg 7-pin Slider
Hoyt/Fuse Carbon Blade Stab
Easton A/C Injexion 330
360 Flex Fletch - helical for fixed blades
(broadhead - undecided)
Carter - Gitterdun release (similar to Ember but solid 3-finger design)
Trophy Taker FC rest

I wouldn't stand there if I were you... Oooh, yeah... you're not gonna heal up from that!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slim Jim - considering your work out and shooting regimen you might have a form issue that's causing you to tire out when shooting. Nothing at all wrong with shooting 60 pounds if that's comfortable, but you might be able to be steadier even when you're fresh if you tune up your form. Also the rate at which you're launching arrows during practice might be the cause of the shoulder fatigue. 50 arrows on a regular basis is plenty to stay in good shooting shape - you only need one good one when you're hunting right?

DC

Slim Jim, How do you feel about your form?

Slim Jim

WKR
I think that my form is good. I have asked plenty of questions at the bow shop and watched numerous you tube videos just to make sure. Maybe I should draw in front of a mirror. I only shoot 3 arrows at a time because I end up ruining too many of them at my 20 range that I shoot about 4 days a week. Two days a week I shoot 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards with 4 arrows at a time. Fatigue isn't really much of a factor but I do notice not being able to hold as steady when I get around the 50 shots or so. Any advise on form would be much appreciated

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that my form is good. I have asked plenty of questions at the bow shop and watched numerous you tube videos just to make sure. Maybe I should draw in front of a mirror. I only shoot 3 arrows at a time because I end up ruining too many of them at my 20 range that I shoot about 4 days a week. Two days a week I shoot 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards with 4 arrows at a time. Fatigue isn't really much of a factor but I do notice not being able to hold as steady when I get around the 50 shots or so. Any advise on form would be much appreciated

If you have had other knowledgable archers pick apart your form at the pro shop and you have check out numerous other references and you feel good about your form then that must not be what is causing it. Just a guess. I think you are on the right routine as far as shooting. At 50 shots anybody should be getting fatigued with their hunting bow in my opinion. Bump up the weight a bit at a time and keep shooting. No need to shoot 50 shots at one time. Break it up and give yourself rests in between sets or something like that. Your muscles will develop and you will work up to more poundage.

Mathews Outback 28in. @ 70lbs.
Dead End String Stop
Shrewd Grip
Spot Hogg Hunter sight
Carbon Impact stabilizer
Fuse Satori 2-piece quiver
Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest
Beman Bone Collector arrows
Rage 2-blade @ 100gr.

Right now I can't afford a new bow, so this will have to do. It does...

Last edited:

IrishnId

WKR
2011 Bowtech Destroyer 340 28in draw, 60lbs!
Octane Stabilizer
Ripcord code red rest
Tightspot quiver
Axcell Pro seven pin sight
Victory VAP V1 350"s
Muzzy 100grn MX-3's, and Steelforce 100grn Phatheads.
It's a killing combo!

OP
Evan Williams
Slim Jim,

Why don't you get some videos taken for us and link them up in the archery forum for us to see. Make sure to get multiple angles and positions.

Evan

Maxhunter

WKR
You might want to try the Ulmer Edge broadhead. Dan Evans is coming out with one specially for the injexion arrow! My shop gave me one to try and I'm not a mechanical fan but they fly like darts.

RosinBag, Matt - I like your style!!

Hoyt Matrix Plus RKT
Spot Hogg - Tommy Hogg 7-pin Slider
Hoyt/Fuse Carbon Blade Stab
Easton A/C Injexion 330
360 Flex Fletch - helical for fixed blades
(broadhead - undecided)
Carter - Gitterdun release (similar to Ember but solid 3-finger design)
Trophy Taker FC rest

I wouldn't stand there if I were you... Oooh, yeah... you're not gonna heal up from that!

Slim Jim

WKR
Slim Jim,

Why don't you get some videos taken for us and link them up in the archery forum for us to see. Make sure to get multiple angles and positions.

Evan

Thanks Evan, I just finished shooting today and then seen your post. I am supposed to go shooting tomorrow with a buddy of mine and if he is able to go I will have him video me with my IPad and then post it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of criticism but I'll take it constructively. Anything to make myself a better hunter and always take that ethical shot.