20゚ weather means 20 or 0゚ bag?

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
In our Sept. and Oct elk camps I always take my -10 degree bag. Temps sometimes dip to 15 degrees. Besides tee shirt and underwear I make sure to wear wool socks in my sleeping bag. If weather turns colder I will wear long underwear. If weather is hot I unzip my bag. I find I sleep better at night without a bunch of clothes on in my bag.
Care to reco
In our Sept. and Oct elk camps I always take my -10 degree bag. Temps sometimes dip to 15 degrees. Besides tee shirt and underwear I make sure to wear wool socks in my sleeping bag. If weather turns colder I will wear long underwear. If weather is hot I unzip my bag. I find I sleep better at night without a bunch of clothes on in my bag.
Can you recomend a bag? I'm just getting into this stuff so I'm already spending a bazillion dollars and I'd like to stay low cost... but I know good gear costs money and will last.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm a hot sleeper and a 20' bag is fine down into the mid-teens with a good pad.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't have any experience camping/hunting in cold weather, err on the side of caution and take a 0-10 degree bag and a pad with a higher R value (many ppl recommend 5R or higher for winter). Sounds like you've got plenty of time, so watch for sales. I'm a fan of Montbell sleeping bags, and they have sales periodically. Others swear by Stone Glacier, WM, Feathered Friends, etc. You may find better deals on Mountain Hardwear, REI, Nemo, etc. Any of them will work, you just have to decide what will work for you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dougwise

FNG
In damp conditions (Alaska) do most people stick with a down bag with treated down, or opt for a synthetic bag and carry a little more weight?