20゚ weather means 20 or 0゚ bag?

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Historical weather doesn’t mean much when it snowing, -10 and ripping wind. Take a warmer bag then you’ll think you’ll need with at least a 5r rated pad. I shot a bull a couple years ago during 2nd rifle, a foot of snow, temp was zero at 1 pm and the wind was 30+ mph, there was a recorded gust in a town a few miles away of 64 mph, I’ll let you figure out the windchill.

Last edited:

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Bring a bag and pad so you can sleep in base layers....light base layers. Why sleep in bulky clothes, it makes no sense at all.
Makes no sense to me to carry an extra insulating bag when I'm also carrying insulating layers. I spend time and money to trim weight out of my gear so I can go further/higher. I'm not going to pack gear then not use it because I packed other gear that duplicates the function.

Some of my backcountry partners still need a bag that is 20deg below the expected low temperature, and they sleep in their insulating clothes. That's just personal sleeping needs, and it's different for everyone. But, they don't bring a bag that is 30-40deg below the temp just so they can sleep without their insulating layers.

(first person to say 'a few ounces isn't much' wins a prize)

Last edited:
Makes no sense to me to carry an extra insulating bag when I'm also carrying insulating layers. I spend time and money to trim weight out of my gear so I can go further/higher. I'm not going to pack gear then not use it because I packed other gear that duplicates the function.

Some of my backcountry partners still need a bag that is 20deg below the expected low temperature, and they sleep in their insulating clothes. That's just personal sleeping needs, and it's different for everyone. But, they don't bring a bag that is 30-40deg below the temp just so they can sleep without their insulating layers.

a few ounces isn't much

what do I win?

Aeromoto

FNG
Think about other ways to keep warm in a lighter sleeping bag. One way is to wear a puffy jacket and pants to bed (or just place them on top of you) - clothes you would most likely bring anyway. Another way is to boil water before bed and put it in a stainless steel water bottle and put that in the bottom of your bag. It won't be super warm by the time you wake up, but it will help. Wear a beanie and gloves to bed. Those are some things I do when winter camping that you could apply to 3rd season rifle hunting.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Sleeping in warm clothes is something I hadn't considered. And a hat. I'll keep both of those in mind. What's better or what are the pros and cons of down vs synthetic bags?

*zap*

WKR
It sucks bad to be cold and not to be able to warm up....all night....and then hunt the next day......10-15° degree colder rated bag than what you expect, actual/realistic R-5 minimum for the pad....put the warm clothes on when you get up. jmo.

Puffy layers on can also compound the claustrophobic feeling some folks get in a bag...

RCB

WKR
For Colorado 3rd season, I’d probably recommend going below 20. (I use a 10.) It partly depends on how cold you sleep, whether you’ll be wearing other items, etc. If it gets cold where you live, then you should test your gear and yourself at home.
Btw if you’re not going to backpack, you can usually find very warm synthetic bulky sleeping bags for cheap. Nice to have something that’s rated for super cold temps when you’re not going to carry it anyway.

Except you now are leaving yourself little to to no room for error. It is a brilliant approach until temps get a lot colder than expected (may not happen where you hunt but can elsewhere in the world). You also get little to no benefit if your insulation pieces are damp or wet.

There is only an 8 ounce difference between a 30* WM MegaLite and a 10* WM Versalite.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Does everyone run mummy bags? Anyone a fan of the nemo spoon shape? Can anyone recomend a few good 0 - 15 deg bags and some R5 pads?

2rocky

WKR
I think how close you want to cut it comes with experience. Mainly your experience with how much you can tolerate. Our bodies acclimate to conditions that we are in for periods of time. I know coming from an area in the 50- 70's to the mountains with lows down to the 30's, that I'm more comfortable at the end of the week.

The less gear you want to have, the more room for error you need to have in extra layers and bag rating.

mlgc20

WKR

This my approach as well. I have a down jacket with me. Why not wear it to sleep? It is important to make sure your bag/quilt has room to allow you to where your puffy without compressing the insulation in either the jacket or quilt/bag. I've comfortably had my 30 degree quilt down to 0 degrees while wearing a puffy and a well insulated pad.

To get your sleep system dialed in really takes some trial and error. Everyone's comfort and priorities are different. If you're just getting started I would be conservative and get more bag than you need.

This my approach as well. I have a down jacket with me. Why not wear it to sleep? It is important to make sure your bag/quilt has room to allow you to where your puffy without compressing the insulation in either the jacket or quilt/bag. I've comfortably had my 30 degree quilt down to 0 degrees while wearing a puffy and a well insulated pad.

To get your sleep system dialed in really takes some trial and error. Everyone's comfort and priorities are different. If you're just getting started I would be conservative and get more bag than you need.

I slept in my 750 fill down jacket every night earlier this fall in Colorado for Archery Elk. I had a 20 deg rated bag and it got to about 32 at night and I was still cold. The mistake was we had an air mattress which sucked up all the cold and my backup foam pad was not enough to insulate well.

Some down booties are great as well for keeping your feet warm and if you need to take a piss and dont want put your boots on:

Not all bags have accurate ratings.

I run western mountaineering bags. With a good pad they are at or near temp rating imo.

The cheaper models and versions not so much.

mlgc20

WKR
I slept in my 750 fill down jacket every night earlier this fall in Colorado for Archery Elk. I had a 20 deg rated bag and it got to about 32 at night and I was still cold. The mistake was we had an air mattress which sucked up all the cold and my backup foam pad was not enough to insulate well.
I have made this mistake as well. It almost doesn't matter how big your sleeping bag is if you have inadequate insulation in your sleeping pad.

Impressive puffy. Should be able to safely leave your quilt at home.

x -(70 – y)/2 = z
x = first bag (higher rated/lower degree)
y = second bag (lower rated/higher degree)
z = rating of doubled bags

Numbers are * F
x=-20 (puffy)
y=30 (quilt)
x=0 (comfortable)

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking into a 3rd season rifle hunt for elk in Colorado over the next couple years. Looks like the yearly average temperatures for that time of year are 20 to 50゚F. I've not done much backpacking and I've done 0 hunting in colder weather.. Should I be looking at a 20 degree sleeping bag and an r3 sleeping pad or should I be looking at something that's rated for significantly lower than the expected average temperatures? Should I go to a 0 or negative 15 bag and a pad with R4?
In our Sept. and Oct elk camps I always take my -10 degree bag. Temps sometimes dip to 15 degrees. Besides tee shirt and underwear I make sure to wear wool socks in my sleeping bag. If weather turns colder I will wear long underwear. If weather is hot I unzip my bag. I find I sleep better at night without a bunch of clothes on in my bag.