20 inch 270 Win.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a shorter barrel 270? I know it's not a metric darling, but I have a Tikka that shoots great but doesn't see much action since I almost exclusively shoot suppressed now. I was itching for mid-range hunter in a non magnum caliber, and then thought why not just tweak a known quantity.

I was thinking a chop to 19-20 inches and use the 129 LRX. I foresee see no problems getting 3000. I get 3150 with the 130 TTSX with RL26 and am not stepping on the gas. I'm not as concerned overall barrel length and weight since this isn't going to be a stalking rifle. Scope choices: SWFA 3-9 or maybe Arken ELP-4 4-16. Hoping to get some input or thoughts before I go down this path. Thanks

nobody

WKR
Cool idea. I’ve always had a soft spot for the 270. No idea why, just have always liked it, even though I don’t own one.

I don’t see any reason you wouldn’t get solid velocities from the 130 grain offerings. That said, I would shoot anything except a mono unless legally forced to. Your velocity will remain solid, but chopping 4-6 inches off your barrel will drop your muzzle velocity relative to full length, which means you’ll reach minimum impact velocity at an even shorter distance. A more standard cup and core should gain you a little distance because of the lower required minimum impact velocity.

IMO, a 130 grain SST from a 270 at 3k FPS is like a ribeye and a baked potato, always a winning combination.

jolemons

WKR
I shoot a suppressed 19" .270 for a short to mid ranged deer and elk rifle.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
P

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a suppressed 19" .270 for a short to mid ranged deer and elk rifle.

What bullet and velocity?

I use use the 130 sst for practice and Barnes for hunting. I'm not a long range hunter. I was kind of thinking of this as any every man's PRC; I wish the Tikka had a faster twist. Maybe I'll have ADCO do 19.5 just to be weird.

jolemons

WKR
I shoot factory EldX and actually haven't put the chronograph on it after chopping it. It's a dead on hold 250 yard kind of gun, so never really have it any thought

Marshfly

WKR
Mine is cut to 18" for suppressor use. The ballistic calc says it holds 1800 out to about 650 yards with factory Federal Berger Hybrid Hunters where I hunt. I can't group the ELDX or I'd shoot those.