2 Way Radio

Aghunter

FNG
What is the best 2 way radios with GMRS capability? Battery vs Re-chargeable is a bonus

We’ve been running these and have been very happy with their simplicity and ruggedness.

As I said ymmv. But the enforceability of that is almost 0
It will depend on which frequencies you operate on. If you try using amateur or public safety frequencies, someone is likely to track you down.

If you run them on FRS or GMRS freqs, you may get away with it.

I have an amateur license, and I have experimented with Baofengs legally. I find them to be cheap junk compared to much better units that are out there. I would not trust my life or that of my group to one.

I should also mentioned that they have to be programmed to be useful, and how to do so is not obvious. If you like fooling with electronics, you can certainly figure it out, but it takes some effort.

But I am not the radio police, so you do you.

mthayr

WKR
Wouxun KG-S88G

Pre-programmed for GMRS - 5W transmit poswer - IP67 (waterproof) - user replaceable antenna (w/o losing the IP67 rating) so you can get a high gain whip for even more range - USB-C rechargeable (but can replace battery with a spare) - FCC certified for GMRS operation. There's even a 2x18650 battery case available for it if you really wanted the ability to run individual batteries.

fwafwow

WKR
It will depend on which frequencies you operate on. If you try using amateur or public safety frequencies, someone is likely to track you down.

I have an amateur license, and I have experimented with Baofengs legally. I find them to be cheap junk compared to much better units that are out there. I would not trust my life or that of my group to one.

I should also mentioned that they have to be programmed to be useful, and how to do so is not obvious. If you like fooling with electronics, you can certainly figure it out, but it takes some effort.

I went down this rabbit hole and tested for and passed the first HAM level (Technician). I was all set to use the license for hunting, but I could not convince any of my hunting buddies to get a license.

Sounds like you are licensed. If that’s right, do you use your license for hunting?

mthayr

WKR
I went down this rabbit hole and tested for and passed the first HAM level (Technician). I was all set to use the license for hunting, but I could not convince any of my hunting buddies to get a license.

Sounds like you are licensed. If that’s right, do you use your license for hunting?
I did the same, with the same results.

Damn. I was hoping you would have some better stories of how valuable the licenses can be so I can convince my buddies.
I have an extra class license. My interest is for emergency preparedness. I have HF rigs and such for that.

I never really expected my hunting friends to get amateur licenses. For basic walkie talkie type communication, as I posted above, I think MURS is the way to go. No license, 5 watt VHF.

I do have a dual band 2 meter / 70cm mobile in my truck that might be handy in an emergency.

mthayr

WKR
I think MURS is the way to go. No license, 5 watt VHF.
I have a set of MURS as well, but maybe its been a while since you got that "extra" class license... MURS is limited to 2W:

"No MURS transmitter shall, under any condition of modulation, transmit more than 2 watts transmitter power output."

I have a set of MURS as well, but maybe its been a while since you got that "extra" class license... MURS is limited to 2W:

"No MURS transmitter shall, under any condition of modulation, transmit more than 2 watts transmitter power output."
You are correct. In my defense there is nothing about MURS on any of the amateur license tests that I recall. There is also plenty that I studied for on that extra exam that I have since forgotten.

In any event, MURS is a strong choice and no license required.

fwafwow

WKR
You are correct. In my defense there is nothing about MURS on any of the amateur license tests that I recall. There is also plenty that I studied for on that extra exam that I have since forgotten.

In any event, MURS is a strong choice and no license required.
I know the answer depends on topography and maybe vegetation, but what sort of range is achievable?

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
oooooh nooooooo. Anyway, it's a free country. I try not to get into it with the HAM police.

Once a person looks into actual FCC enforcements, you realize that they don't care and and it's a nonsense boogeyman. I think the last time a true enforcement took place was 2013, but don't quote me.

Don't transmit on emergency services frequencies, and nobody will care. Especially innawoods.

Carry on.

And illegal to operate without an amateur radio license.

mthayr

WKR
Line of sight = VHF (MURS)
Thick vegetation = UHF (GMRS)
...in between = ¯\_(ツ)_/¯