2 rubber bands on Sevr (or any mechanical)

Brusso89

FNG
Last season while on a stalk, I had an arrow nocked, and I must have brushed the tip up against grass or the ground or something and I noticed the rubber band was broken. I was lucky to notice it and switched arrows. I was thinking about it more before this upcoming season and thought maybe I'd put 2 rubber bands on all my Sevr heads. Thinking that maybe if one broke, the second band would keep things together. I actually emailed Sevr to make sure it wouldn't have any bad side effects on the heads performance and this was their response - "Thank you for reaching out! You could definitely use 2 bands on your broadheads, Aaron Snyder from Kifaru does this on his recurve setups to help penetrate deeper before opening up. So it is very doable! Hope this helps!"

Definitely something to think about. This could be bad or good, idk. Figured I'd share it with you guys and see if any of you have had any experience using two rubber bands and if you actually saw a performance difference on any type of mechanical.

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
If it popped one rubber band, it'd very likely pop two rubber bands. Sevr's are great heads, but the only way to truly prevent mechanical failure is to not use a mechanical broadhead. I would just use them as designed and go from there. Any time I've had mechs in my quiver, I've been ultra careful to ensure they're protected. Cost of doing business.

Zac

WKR
Dudley has done this in the past with Dental bands on Rages. I can't believe Snyder was shooting Sevr's out of a trad bow.

MattB

WKR
I would just replace them more frequently, they tend to degrade over time.

Last edited:
I refuse to use a mechanical that requires a rubber band, o ring, collar etc.

With many mechs upgrading there is no reason to use one at all. Grim Reaper has never needed those crutches. Rage updated to No Collar.

And even the dirt cheap, though very effective Dee Power/ Keaup broadheads have a friction button that holds the blades in.

Re think your broad head choice!

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR

With many mechs upgrading there is no reason to use one at all. Grim Reaper has never needed those crutches. Rage updated to No Collar.

And even the dirt cheap, though very effective Dee Power/ Keaup broadheads have a friction button that holds the blades in.

Dudleys new head doesn't use them either.

MattB

WKR

I’ve killed ~70 animals over my 30 year bowhunting career with a broadhead brand (Vortex) that uses an o-ring and they are a very reliable blade actuation system.

I’ve also used MBH’s that use friction (NAP Spitfire and Evolution). They didn’t work any better, and frankly having a blade actuation system that can wear or that needs to be tuned as some can/do made me more apprehensive than of the tried and true o-ring.

I am not a big fan of dental bands as those I’ve used (Rocket) were much less durable than the thicker o-rings and tended to degrade much more quickly from environmental conditions.

In terms of actual failures of keeping the blades closed until impact, almost all I am aware of were with actuation systems that used a system other than o-rings or bands. I’ll stick what is tried and true and what I know works.

Have you ever used Sevr broadheads before? Just curious if you’ve had a negative experience with them (or a similar broadhead design).

Zac

WKR
Have you ever used Sevr broadheads before? Just curious if you’ve had a negative experience with them (or a similar broadhead design).
I don’t think there is any point in trying to modify broadheads in this day and age. I would simply use a different head rather than try to strap on extra rubber bands. The push tests I saw required an awful lot of force for just one band. Anyways if you’re truly worried about it you need to use a fixed blade. Every mechanical design out there will fail you. Remember they are designed to open. I wouldn’t want that to be the limiting factor for my hunt. If you absolutely must use a mech then I would probably go with something like the GR. Those are much harder to deploy with brush due to the angle the blade opens, also there’s no stupid bands.

success

WKR
Hard to describe and I’m on the road so I can’t show you a pic. But when I put my Sevr in the quiver, I roll the band below the bh on to the shaft. When I nock an arrow, I roll it in to position. You could add an extra band below the bh and around the shaft in case the properly installed band pops.

I use a dental band diagonally over the wedge blade end on one side and below the deployment tab on the other side for any SEVR that rattles, not all do. No issues killed many animals including elk with SEVR heads that had an extra band and ones without.

The factory bands would likely work but it takes me a few tries to get it on without breaking on a tip edge or the wedge edge. Once on they last.

I add an extra o ring on the shaft toward the front by the broadhead. That way if the band breaks, you simply roll the one on the shaft onto the broadhead. With that said, I’ve never had an o ring break. Nice to have just in case though

Beendare

WKR
Why not 3 rubber bands, JIC? grin

Oh man, having to check your Mech head at the moment of truth.........

A buddy had a blade pop loose on his shot at a 160" class whitetail- he didn't realize it but said the arrow was doing Loop d Loops to the animal. We checked later and when we took his BH arrows out of his quiver- yep, a blade would pop loose. Another buddy shooting those rockets has had the rubber band slide off with blades coming loose...a big fail, making the arrow fly erratically.

I don't want to have to divert my concentration on a critical shot by taking focus away from the critter and checking my Mech head.

I did the mech head thing for years with 100% success- they work- but have since moved on to a bulletproof fixed 2 blade- KISS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I think the companies that use bands are going to slowly die off. When people figure out they can get the same performance out of other brands that don't use ridiculous deployment systems they will go elsewhere. As of right now Sevr has shown almost no innovation at all. They just keep introducing different cut sizes, and for some reason stuck another blade on one of them.

I very rarely break a SEVR band unless they are aged. The second band was talking about eliminating rattle on some heads.
The new hybrid is supposed to have solved the rattle.