2 elk in one season

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ever gotten two tags and filled them in a season? I pulled a cow tag but the unit and season I pulled it for has otc bull tags only. I’m contemplating getting a bull tag otc in case I get lucky on my first ever outing. Should I apply for a bull tag at the same time as my cow tag or the season after in case I’m unlucky?

Shot my bull opening morning buddy shot his cow, packed them out the next day and shot my cow that evening. 2 days later shot my buck…. Knowing the animals and terrain makes a difference. But I’m not the guy that will shoot a bull and cow out of the same herd unless I’ve got help. I’ve got pack animals to get stuff out so that’s a huge help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtriple

WKR
Do you have money to burn? If so, why not? You are already committing the time and energy to go chase elk in the woods. You'd kick yourself later if you ended up having an opportunity on a bull that you had to pass up.

If not, then treat it as a scouting trip for next season. Unfortunately, I assume this is CO, so you may not get another OTC tag next year. Is it 3rd rifle?

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have money to burn? If so, why not? You are already committing the time and energy to go chase elk in the woods. You'd kick yourself later if you ended up having an opportunity on a bull that you had to pass up.

If not, then treat it as a scouting trip for next season. Unfortunately, I assume this is CO, so you may not get another OTC tag next year. Is it 3rd rifle?

Well idk if I have the money to burn but I’m burning money regardless hahah. I’m a whitetail hunter that just moved to Colorado so I’m having to get binoculars, new rangefinder, zero degree sleeping bag, possibly a new pack (I have an osprey aether 70l that I guess could do the trick), possibly new hunting clothes and some ice chests. I hear the buy in is the most expensive part though. Oh and I have to fit this all in a 560 daft apartment haha. But I’m determined either way. Like you said I’d hate to have the opportunity to shoot a bull (however unlikely) if one presented itself

huntnful

WKR
I would if it’s a rifle tag. I killed an OTC bull last year, and he was with a herd of cows, still rutting. Second season. I could have easily killed a bull and a cow within 10 seconds of each other.

gtriple

WKR
Well idk if I have the money to burn but I’m burning money regardless hahah. I’m a whitetail hunter that just moved to Colorado so I’m having to get binoculars, new rangefinder, zero degree sleeping bag, possibly a new pack (I have an osprey aether 70l that I guess could do the trick), possibly new hunting clothes and some ice chests. I hear the buy in is the most expensive part though. Oh and I have to fit this all in a 560 daft apartment haha. But I’m determined either way. Like you said I’d hate to have the opportunity to shoot a bull (however unlikely) if one presented itself
Are you hunting rifle season?

Are you hunting solo?

Are you hunting on foot or ATV/pack animal?

You can get by with a lot of cheap gear, especially clothes.

With that info, if you are now a resident what’s another $50 for a second tag? But here’s another question, if you harvest 2 elk where are you going to keep it? Are you going to be able to eat it all? If you don’t have enough freezer to store it and can’t eat it all, then you can buy the tag but I wouldn’t harvest more than 1 elk. One of my pet peeves is seeing people post on social media that they are getting rid of meat cause it “went bad”, was to old, or personal favorite I got another one this year and need the space. Properly packaged and frozen I’ve eaten meat that was 5 years old with no issues.

You can get the tags just don’t get greedy, make sure you know your limits, getting. 2 elk out can take its toll very quickly, even 1 elk for a new hunter, 90% of my packouts are because guys got greedy and got in over their heads

All depends on your ability and I couldn't judge you for that. If you know the zone/region well enough to locate them and connect a shot I don't see why you shouldn't. I could drop a lot more than I kill every year because I pass stuff up, so if you're doing that then I applaud you

go_deep

WKR
I've filled 2 elk licenses 5 times in one season, once I doubled out of the same herd, once I killed one in the a.m. one in the p.m. on the same day, the other 3 times were separate days.
If you got a use for the meat, have at it!!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I kill a bull and a cow most seasons. Bull in AZ and Cow in Wyoming normally but sometimes cow in both.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
With that info, if you are now a resident what’s another $50 for a second tag? But here’s another question, if you harvest 2 elk where are you going to keep it? Are you going to be able to eat it all? If you don’t have enough freezer to store it and can’t eat it all, then you can buy the tag but I wouldn’t harvest more than 1 elk. One of my pet peeves is seeing people post on social media that they are getting rid of meat cause it “went bad”, was to old, or personal favorite I got another one this year and need the space. Properly packaged and frozen I’ve eaten meat that was 5 years old with no issues.

You can get the tags just don’t get greedy, make sure you know your limits, getting. 2 elk out can take its toll very quickly, even 1 elk for a new hunter, 90% of my packouts are because guys got greedy and got in over their heads

Yes I would have to be thoroughly convinced to take a second elk. The only way I’d take it is if I knew for certain it wouldn’t go to waste. That being said butcher costs aren’t cheap so highly unlikely I do take two given my circumstances. But maybe if one of my buddies really wants to pay for the butcher costs for the second elk I could be convinced. There’d need to be a lot of groveling though. Wishful thinking!

But in all seriousness I’m not one to waste and hate the needless killing of animals. I only pull the trigger if I intend to eat the animal

Even 1 elk is a lot to cut up, pack out, prep, and freeze. I would buy the bull tag in case an opportunity presented itself, but I wouldn't shoot a second one until the first one was out of the field and the meat was taken care of.

Also, enlist a friend (or several) to help if you can. You are looking at packing out hundreds of pounds of meat. More if you don't bone it out or carry out head, antlers, hide.

If you go by yourself, consider how far you want to go back and forth under heavy load packing it out or maybe try to shoot one close to the truck.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Even 1 elk is a lot to cut up, pack out, prep, and freeze. I would buy the bull tag in case an opportunity presented itself, but I wouldn't shoot a second one until the first one was out of the field and the meat was taken care of.

Also, enlist a friend (or several) to help if you can. You are looking at packing out hundreds of pounds of meat. More if you don't bone it out or carry out head, antlers, hide.

If you go by yourself, consider how far you want to go back and forth under heavy load packing it out or maybe try to shoot one close to the truck.
Yeah I have a couple buddies that said they are “down” to pack out but I doubt they will when the time comes. Luckily my coworker is fully committed and is wanting to go scout with me. I guess some people value free meat more than others