17hmr suggestions

skippy15

FNG
Looking at getting a 17hmr. Going to run a dead air mask on it so preferably a short rifle with good accuracy. Not competition use just ranch use for varmints as a truck gun and some hunting.

Currently looking at the Bergera bmr and the Christensen ranger. I like the length and weight of those. The Christensen would be the top of my budget (I already have a scope)

Any suggestions?

Tikka T1X.

Attached photo is 15 rounds shot as fast as I could at 100 yards. I did not hold for wind which is why the shots are left.

Attachments

• IMG_8446.JPG
    IMG_8446.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 10

Rob5589

WKR
My Marlin 917V is crazy accurate. Rifle Basix trigger and ammo and good to go.

OP
S

skippy15

FNG
Tikka T1X.

Attached photo is 15 rounds shot as fast as I could at 100 yards. I did not hold for wind which is why the shots are left.
Tikka is on the watchlist with the 16in barrel. Looks to be about a pound heavier than the other two but much cheaper

JFK

WKR
Just a heads up. The 17hmr is a great little gun and tons of fun, but not great if you plan on eating any of the small game you shoot. The little v max bullets blow stuff up. Shooting ground squirrels with one is more fun than just about anything though.

Agross

WKR
Just gotta do headshots. They are accurate enough to do so . I just have the savage model 93. Nice wood stock and heavy barrel. Paid a whopping $250 new, and it’s a tack driver. Quickly became my favorite gun for squirrels and varmints and plinking.

B23

WKR
Cz 457 . I have one and it's extremely accurate.
I have a Savage HB SS Lam. thumbhole 17HMR and Sav. A17 Target Sporter 17HMR both are good little guns and shoot well enough for my use, sage rats and plinking, but if I was in the market to buy a new 17 HMR it would hands down be a CZ 457.

If you want something really nice that's custom and you don't mind spending the extra money for it then a Zermatt Arms RimX or Vudoo Gun Works build is what you'll want.

Just keep in mind all 17HMR ammo is far from match or target grade, like you can get for the 22LR's, and there can sometimes be a certain variance in how 17 HMR ammo shoots from Lot # to Lot #.

Also, regardless of what the box says, there is only two manufacturers of 17HMR ammo, CCI and Winchester. CCI makes the vast majority of all 17HMR ammo and for me their 17HMR ammo always shoots better than the Winchester stuff. I think the only two labels that are Winchester made 17HMR ammo is Browning and Winchester, pretty much all other labels is made by CCI.

CZ 457 in 22 LR has been insanely accurate for me, i assume the 17 HMR is the same.
It is, that’s where I settled after going through a few 17’s, thinking about getting an xlr for it, but obviously nothing wrong with the factory walnut stock