16" suppressed elk gun

I have an 18” 308 that I shoot suppressed, it gets good velocity with my 165g accubond hand loads and 150g ttsx loads.

I was able to get the barrel threaded with a permanent 5/8x24 adapter so no stupid muzzle brakes or attachment devices.

In the picture it has a banish 30 but I also have a TBAC 7 which is quieter, lighter and nicer
That's a slick lightweight rig.

He wants to shoot supressed though and for 338 suppressors, there is pretty much 2 choices, massive heavy things meant to suppress 338Wm/LM and then suppressors that don’t really work well at all like the rugged alaskan. 338 federal is cool but you limit your suppressor choice.
Q just came out with 2 .338 specific cans, one is 8.6" and 12 ounces, the other is hunting oriented 7.2" and 9.6 ounces (3 fewer baffles so not as quiet). I have the bigger one in jail, I'm expecting great things from that can it feels like 6 ounces not 12, crazy light. Griffin also has the Sportsman Ultralight in 338, 8.75" and 12.7 ounces, magnum rated too. I've had phenomenal success with my 4 Sportsman cans in .30cal, I'd expect the 338 to be just as good.

He wants to shoot supressed though and for 338 suppressors, there is pretty much 2 choices, massive heavy things meant to suppress 338Wm/LM and then suppressors that don’t really work well at all like the rugged alaskan. 338 federal is cool but you limit your suppressor choice.
You can get an AB raptor in that bore diameter, or at least i know it comes in .375

Q just came out with 2 .338 specific cans, one is 8.6" and 12 ounces, the other is hunting oriented 7.2" and 9.6 ounces (3 fewer baffles so not as quiet). I have the bigger one in jail, I'm expecting great things from that can it feels like 6 ounces not 12, crazy light. Griffin also has the Sportsman Ultralight in 338, 8.75" and 12.7 ounces, magnum rated too. I've had phenomenal success with my 4 Sportsman cans in .30cal, I'd expect the 338 to be just as good.
I stand corrected then. Glad there are more options out there.

I’m in the same situation but I’m chopping two fieldcrafts,a 6.5 cm to 16.5 and a 06 to 16.5-18.
I would have liked to have found a factory threaded 308 but can’t find one.I will use them a lot more after they’re suppressed.

In regards to the Q cans, they are designed for the new 8.6BO round. I don’t see the restrictions on the SS site, so it may not work for the big 338s. The Griffin is a really good option, as is the AB. The AB is 10” long but 3” of that is reflex, so it only adds 7” to the OAL. You can also remove the reflex section, or add a 5” reflex if you want more volume.

In regards to the Q cans, they are designed for the new 8.6BO round. I don’t see the restrictions on the SS site, so it may not work for the big 338s. The Griffin is a really good option, as is the AB. The AB is 10” long but 3” of that is reflex, so it only adds 7” to the OAL. You can also remove the reflex section, or add a 5” reflex if you want more volume.
Kevin from Q has said they are magnum rated, the cans are stainless, but time will tell.

I vote 308 because I'm considering building a short 308 from a shot-out 22-250 savage that I have. It just seems fun and a good option for a truck gun.

Just curious. 🤷‍♂️

When you kill stuff with stuff and know stuff I’m interested in learning stuff from those who have differing opinions with stuff they’ve experienced.

Not random at all @atmat

Cut the 308. It looses less per inch than the 65. It'll be quieter, but will have more recoil. Second choice, chop the 65cm. My perfect suppressed rifle would be a 6cm at around 18" pushing 105-110gr high bc high SD bullets at 2850-2950 fps.

I built a 16" 6.5 cm that shoots 143's really well. I wouldn't try to kill anything over 400yds due to the slower muzzle velocity, but its a great small packable gun. I went with a Carbon 6 1-7" twist barrel, and have had accurate shots out to 1010yds with it. I tried to copy the Fix from Q on a budget...

Reactions: NSI
The AB suppressor can be had in several configurations. 6, 8, or 10 baffles and a few reflex length options too. Their 30 cal suppressors are competitive with the other big players, and the 338 and 375 caliber options are of the the same construction. If someone wants a medium bore suppressed but still relatively lightweight hunting rifle, AB is where it’s at.

With that said . . . the smaller calibers kill great too. I loooove my 338 win mag with my AB suppressor but I every other day I am dreaming of going towards a 7mm or 30 for everything. Then again, I also want to chop my 375 ruger and put a suppressor on that too for everything, hehe.

The AB suppressor can be had in several configurations. 6, 8, or 10 baffles and a few reflex length options too. Their 30 cal suppressors are competitive with the other big players, and the 338 and 375 caliber options are of the the same construction. If someone wants a medium bore suppressed but still relatively lightweight hunting rifle, AB is where it’s at.

With that said . . . the smaller calibers kill great too. I loooove my 338 win mag with my AB suppressor but I every other day I am dreaming of going towards a 7mm or 30 for everything. Then again, I also want to chop my 375 ruger and put a suppressor on that too for everything, hehe.
I hunt and shoot with all Q cans. My 6.5 uses the Jumbo Shrimp, and I shoot my 300 PRC through the Trash Panda and Thunder Chicken as well. The TC is definitely quieter. The .338 ones that have been released are good for magnums as well. I do like the muzzle devices since I can use different cans on different guns all using the same muzzle device. That being said, their new PorQ Chop, and the Short Chop use a bigger muzzle break than their titanium ones. Wouldn’t hesitate in buying anything from Q

Back