16" suppressed elk gun

I currently have 4 24" bolt rifles in 6.5cm, 7mm mag, 308, and 30-06, and looking to chop down one of them to run suppressed for elk hunting.

I will also state I'm not long range oriented. Personally I prioritize getting as close as possible on the stalk to eliminate as many variables from the actual shot as possible, but I feel comfortable shooting out to 400 yd if the situation necessitates it: for example an animal is getting spooky or terrain is in the way.

It seems from other discussion that a shorty suppressed 308 is most popular choice.

- In which situations would you prefer to chop down a rifle in the other calibers?
- is 16" too short for my application? Would you stay longer? (Suppressor will be 8")

I know this has been discussed from various angles and in other threads, but wanted to pose the question differently, with a specific requirement that this would be for Rocky mountain elk hunting.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR.
I don’t think it makes a difference for 400 and under, other than the noise difference as that hole at end of the barrel gets closer to your ear. Based on that and recoil, I’d chop the 6.5.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I currently have 4 24" bolt rifles in 6.5cm, 7mm mag, 308, and 30-06, and looking to chop down one of them to run suppressed for elk hunting.

I will also state I'm not long range oriented. Personally I prioritize getting as close as possible on the stalk to eliminate as many variables from the actual shot as possible, but I feel comfortable shooting out to 400 yd if the situation necessitates it: for example an animal is getting spooky or terrain is in the way.

It seems from other discussion that a shorty suppressed 308 is most popular choice.

- In which situations would you prefer to chop down a rifle in the other calibers?
- is 16" too short for my application? Would you stay longer? (Suppressor will be 8")

I know this has been discussed from various angles and in other threads, but wanted to pose the question differently, with a specific requirement that this would be for Rocky mountain elk hunting.

All or any of them will work just fine at 16”. The 6.5cm would be my choice due to the lowest recoil.

TxLite

WKR
Check to see if your suppressor has barrel length restrictions. Might eliminate the 7 rem mag.

I’d lean 308 or 30-06 personally, as I think the 6.5 creed would suffer more velocity loss from the shorter barrel.

matthewmt

WKR
I saw a stock 6.5 cm 16" on the shelf recently. I was surprised, may have been a ruger? But 308 or 6.5 would be my choices.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
At the distances you’re wanting to kill animals with a 16” suppressed platform the solution is simple: 77TMK out of a 223.

Done.

Go forth and kill with confidence.
Unless OP is hunting elk in CO, OR, or WY.

Also, that would require a new rifle purchase at considerable cost compared to cutting one of his current rifles.

But your point still stands: he doesn’t need a big cartridge at those distances.

Recoil on a 7mag suppressed is next to nill. I a big fan of no such thing as too much power when it comes to elk. I have a 20" 7mag. 16" didn't give me the velocity I wanted for my application. I prefer a flatter shooting rifle. I have post somewhere talking about how much FPS you loose with each inch lost. I'll try and find it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

Also, that would require a new rifle purchase at considerable cost compared to cutting one of his current rifles.

But your point still stands: he doesn’t need a big cartridge at those distances.
If a 22 centerfire is not permissible, then a 6CM.

Easy day.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks government

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
If a 22 centerfire is not permissible, then a 6CM.

Easy day.

I wish there were more 6 arc around seems like it would work great. While I’m wishing how about a mini tikka too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmicek

WKR
Is it an option to rebore your 308 to 338 Federal? It was mentioned already and I think it would be a great choice. Wouldn’t have to buy a new rifle per say.

I had a .260rem cut down to 16" for my nieces and nephews to hunt suppressed with, its 1 for 1 so far on a small muley and sounds great. I did a ton of testing with a 16" Howa Mini in 6arc, and was impressed with the ballistics. I ended up getting a dedicated can for my lightweight 6arc, that was 3" shorter than the current one, so I ended up ordering a 19" CF barrel for that gun for better ballistics at the same OAL. I have a 20" Tikka and a 22" Defiance both in 300wsm, and I'm really pleased with their size, weight, and performance., the short mags take advantage of a little more effective barrel length for the same OAL.

Really wanted to try a 325wsm for something like this, 338fed would be cool too. I'm hoping to get my 338blk working just right to use it on a big game animal soon, no tags to try with this year though. Its 12" and does really well with supers and subs. That gun needs the new can thats in jail and a lighter scope to shave 2+ pounds before I'd consider it ready.

Last edited: