150gr mechanicals

I currently shoot an old (by today's standards) Bowtech Assassin. 60lbs. I shoot Beman ICS 340s with a 150gr Magnus Stinger (2 blade with bleeders). My arrow is heavy and slow but penetrates great and I have no desire to change that for deer and bear.

I would like to shoot a turkey with a bow this year. I thought about trying a mechanical to have a larger cut and not just blow through the bird with minimal damage. The problem I'm seeing is all the 150gr heads are marketed towards crossbow use. I'm assuming they are harder to open compared to a standard mechanical? Can they be used in a standard bow with no issues? Any other recommendations for 150gr heads?

Bump79

WKR
Sevr Robusto will probably be your best bet. Evolution outdoors also has one and so does Afflictor

Reactions: Zac

MattB

WKR
125 gr. + 25 gr. collar or even just a 125 gr. head would probably work just fine (I doubt your POI would change much if at all at turkey ranges - I rarely shoot them any farther than 10 yards). I really like the Vortex 125. gr 2 3/4" 2 blade for turkeys.

I'm in the camp of put 125 head on of your choice. The 25 grain difference likely won't be noticeable til 35-40 yards.

I don't think you will have issues with crossbow heads tho.

pk_

WKR
I have shot the nap killzone crossbow heads and they worked fine with a heavy arrow behind them.

OP
A
I can try 125 heads, but I'm already borderline overspined. I don't really want to mess up my tune. I'm fairly certain I tried to get 125 stingers to fly with my field points a long while back and couldn't get them to match my field points POI.

MattB

WKR
I can try 125 heads, but I'm already borderline overspined. I don't really want to mess up my tune. I'm fairly certain I tried to get 125 stingers to fly with my field points a long while back and couldn't get them to match my field points POI.
Mechanicals tend to fly like field points, so likely not an issue.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve shot the 150grain crossbow Rage for turkeys and they work fine. Depending on how you plan to hunt them, not sure I would worry about 125 vs 150; if finding 150s is an issue. If you are blind hunting, I don’t think it matters, as your shots are gonna be in close. If you are doing more run and gun and spot and stalk style, where the option of a longer shot is there, probably want to stick to the grain weight you have been using. Don’t worry if the package says crossbow, they,ll work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 100 or 125 gr head with 25-50 gr worth of FACT weights behind the insert would be another option if you want to keep your TAW the same.

A 100 or 125 gr head with 25-50 gr worth of FACT weights behind the insert would be another option if you want to keep your TAW the same.

I'm not certain if fact weights will work with the bean ics insert. Last ones I had they had that little v-brake thing on the end. Be entertaining watching someone try to screw into that thing.

That's been a number of years ago now, they probably dropped those the last few years they were in production.

These little things. Never liked them.

beman-insert-vibrake.jpg

I'm not certain if fact weights will work with the bean ics insert. Last ones I had they had that little v-brake thing on the end. Be entertaining watching someone try to screw into that thing.

That's been a number of years ago now, they probably dropped those the last few years they were in production.

These little things. Never liked them.
Good point. FACT weights will only work if the insert has rear-facing threads.