14-days of remote solitude moose hunting in Alaska

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the cost of shipping back via Alaska air cargo? I’m currently in the process of booking with Renfro. I know we have the option as well to buy fish boxes and bring them with us as checked luggage on our commercial flights. Just trying to weigh out my options1008.76 - 958
What’s the cost of shipping back via Alaska air cargo? I’m currently in the process of booking with Renfro. I know we have the option as well to buy fish boxes and bring them with us as checked luggage on our commercial flights. Just trying to weigh out my options
My brother and I rough butchered and packed it all in a tent area renfro set up at the hanger. Took about 14 hours including antler prep -2 heads one 50” one just shy of 60 . Was super straightforward with some advance planning. Below is the receipt. Not sure what rates are like now but this was for air cargo to Seattle. 189E743C-9BAC-4BAF-99C0-49296E154497.jpeg

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I rough butchered and packed it all in a tent area renfro set up at the hanger. Took about 14 hours including antler prep -2 heads one 50” one just shy of 60 . Was super straightforward with some advance planning. Below is the receipt. Not sure what rates are like now but this was for air cargo to Seattle. View attachment 515521
Thanks everyone for the great tips! And much appreciated sharing this receipt. Good to know things were pretty straight forward with some planning. We will definitely do as much planning as we can prior to going. Thats not a bad deal at all. We will be coming from Pennsylvania so I expect it to be pricier than Seattle but still sounds like a good option

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
One of the items to make sure you consider though is how close you are to the destination airport in the return shipment. The meat and antlers won’t necessarily arrive back at the same time you do. Mine was available the day after I got back. It was stored and shipped under refrigeration so the meat / heads were fine … but from a convenience factor if you don’t live proximate to the airport there could be some logistics to sort out. They were great about posting the delivery so it wasn’t a crap shoot as to whether it would be there it was just the notion that you have to get back to the airport maybe a day or two later

Shoot me a dm if you have questions or want to talk specifics / nuanced questions about the shipping or others aspects of the hunt.

Racer00

FNG
We just returned home (MIchigan) last night from a Nunivak Island musk ox hunt. Sent 2 musk ox and hides (100 lb each) back to Chicago from Bethel. Total weight was 568 lbs. We purchased plastic totes in Anchorage on our way out. Packed meat into a contractors bag, then a meat bag, then another contractor bag before going into the tote. Tried to keep each tote around 100lbs. You can go heavier, but we worried about reckless handling and breakage if too difficult to lift.
Alaska air cargo was easy and painless. Total cost for shipping was right at $600. They could take it to Chicago or Detroit for us. We had flown out of Chicago on the way up, so it was a no brainer. No meat totes to lug thru airports and pick up at baggage claim.
We took some time to meet and talk to Nick at AK Trophy Expediters. His assistance and advice was invaluable. We will be using him for shipping on future Alaska hunts.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
One of the items to make sure you consider though is how close you are to the destination airport in the return shipment. The meat and antlers won’t necessarily arrive back at the same time you do. Mine was available the day after I got back. It was stored and shipped under refrigeration so the meat / heads were fine … but from a convenience factor if you don’t live proximate to the airport there could be some logistics to sort out. They were great about posting the delivery so it wasn’t a crap shoot as to whether it would be there it was just the notion that you have to get back to the airport maybe a day or two later

Shoot me a dm if you have questions or want to talk specifics / nuanced questions about the shipping or others aspects of the hunt.
Thats good to know thanks man. We are just under an hour from the airport so should not have issues there really.

And yeah for sure, once we dive a little more deeper into things I am sure I will reach out and touch base.