14-days of remote solitude moose hunting in Alaska

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Hey Doc I feel like every time you and other post something it just creates more questions! haha Say we fly in somewhere and don't see rubs or sign close by camp. Would you still call from camp or would you start walking to the highest peak or place with nearest sign instead?
Several factors impact my answer for that question...at least for me and how I like to approach the hunt...

My personal challenge is fighting the initial urge to hike around and scout-out my area. I like to move and love to see over that ridge, get to that high point and glass, etc. I don't initially do that because I do not want to stink-up the area immediately around me. The sense of smell on a moose is crazy good...they have that long nose for a reason!

If I am in a location/GMU where there are high moose densities, I will call from camp for several days. That is especially true if the wind conditions are conducive to good calling distance, i.e., calm and not stifling for the call to carry some distance. I know there are moose all around me...some where...and it's contraindicated to initially hike around to see them. Some times (not always) as I end the day and quietly get into my tent for the nite I've done a few cow calls. More than once I've had a bull in our visual area when I quietly get out of my tent in the morning or appear when I do my first calling session in the morning.

I also stay highly cognizant of camp noise...quiet with zippers, banging/clanging, etc. My hunting friend is a great guy, but he has a loud laugh and talks loudly...and I am always an a-hole the first few days "shishing" the hell out of him to rein it in. I'll also say...and I'm convinced at this point in my moose hunting experience...our two-person dome tents seem to act as visual attractors to moose. They hear my calls during strategic times of the day, and come to investigate...seeing our two-person dome tents (and even the tipi) I think serves as a reason to get a closer look as some of my pics in the initial post shows. All of that said is of course dependent upon wind direction...once they wind you it's adios...and they pretty much always want to circle downwind at some point as they approach.

Last comment...please note that I'm answering your question as an old guy...I'll be a month shy of 70 this year on our two-week hunt. That said, it took me this long (and advanced osteoarthritis in both knees) to not initially be a dufus and hike all over the place because the area where I hunt has extremely high moose densities and I know they are out there. There have been other moose areas over the years that I have hunted with lower moose densities, and I have sought high ground to glass early in the hunt.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Several factors impact the answer for that question...at least for me and how I like to approach the hunt...

My personal challenge is fighting the initial urge to hike around and scout-out my area. I like to move and love to see over that ridge, get to that high point and glass, etc. I don't initially do that because I do not want to stick-up the area immediately around me. The sense of smell on a moose is crazy good...they have that long nose for a reason!

If I am in a location/GMU where there are high moose densities, I will call from camp for several days. That is especially true if the wind conditions are conducive to good calling distance, i.e., calm and not stifling for the call to carry some distance. I know there are moose all around me...some where...and it's contraindicated to initially hike around to see them. Some times (not always) as I end the day and quietly get into my tent for the nite I've done a few cow calls. More than once I've had a bull in our visual area when I quietly get out of my tent in the morning or appear when I do my first calling session in the morning.

I also stay highly cognizant of camp noise...quiet with zippers, banging/clanging, etc. My hunting friend is a great guy, but he has a loud laugh and talks loudly...and I am always an a-hole the first few days "shishing" the hell out of him to rein it in. I'll also say...and I'm convinced at this point in my moose hunting experience...our two-person dome tents seem to act as visual attractors to moose. They hear my calls during strategic times of the day, and come to investigate...seeing our two-person dome tents (and even the tipi) I think serves as a reason to get a closer look as some of my pics in the initial post shows. All of that said is of course dependent upon wind direction...once they wind you it's adios...and they pretty much always want to circle downwind at some point as they approach.

Last comment...please note that I'm answering your question as an old guy...I'll be a month shy of 70 this year on our two-week hunt. That said, it took me this long (and advanced osteoarthritis in both knees) to not initially be a dufus and hike all over the place...the area where I hunt has extremely high moose densities. There have been other moose areas over the years that I have hunted with lower moose densities, and I have sought high ground to glass early in the hunt.
Looking forward to you hunt recap again this year. Good luck and congrats for still doing it at 70! I sure hope I can do the same some day.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Several factors impact the answer for that question...at least for me and how I like to approach the hunt...

My personal challenge is fighting the initial urge to hike around and scout-out my area. I like to move and love to see over that ridge, get to that high point and glass, etc. I don't initially do that because I do not want to stick-up the area immediately around me. The sense of smell on a moose is crazy good...they have that long nose for a reason!

Last comment...please note that I'm answering your question as an old guy...I'll be a month shy of 70 this year on our two-week hunt. That said, it took me this long (and advanced osteoarthritis in both knees) to not initially be a dufus and hike all over the place...the area where I hunt has extremely high moose densities. There have been other moose areas over the years that I have hunted with lower moose densities, and I have sought high ground to glass early in the hunt.
perfect response! Thank you as always!

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Nice we are sitting in Fairbanks waiting on the weather to clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Doc,
Always enjoy reading about your hunt adventures. Thanks for sharing.
Nothing is harder ,tests my patience more, and anxieties , than hanging around town and airport hangers burning hunting days while being socked in by the weather . Only to arrive camp and have more of the same weather in hunting camp. Makes you appreciate the times when you are blessed by the hunting gods and Mother Nature.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Epilogue: Sharing this with you guys as a follow-up/closure context of the hunt I shared last year. It's my one and only European mount, which was done by a local taxidermist. Out of the bulls I've taken over the years, this particular bull deserved it.

Note: I've got to add that I'm sincerely thankful for the opportunity of each and every hunt, regardless of outcome. In all honesty, the trophy never comes close to matching the experiences of the hunt for me, being there in the world of the animal I'm hunting, and sharing meat/enjoying meals with loved ones/friends over the year to come...but the trophies sure do trigger my memories of and gratitude for those life adventures...
IMG_7025.jpeg

Below is a broader/expanded image for context (Christmas version...and also unfortunately with size-distortions from the wide-angle view...that interior grizzly is not that big...LOL!)...
IMG_7023 2.jpeg

The best to you all for your adventures in the coming New Year!!

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Epilogue: Sharing this with you guys as a follow-up/closure context of the hunt I shared last year. It's my one and only European mount, which was done by a local taxidermist. Out of the bulls I've taken over the years, this particular bull deserved it.

Note: I've got to add that I'm sincerely thankful for the opportunity of each and every hunt, regardless of outcome. In all honesty, the trophy never comes close to matching the experiences of the hunt for me, being there in the world of the animal I'm hunting, and sharing meat/enjoying meals with loved ones/friends over the year to come...but the trophies sure do trigger my memories of and gratitude for those life adventures...
View attachment 492727

Below is a broader/expanded image for context (Christmas version...and also unfortunately size-distorted with the wide-angle view...that interior grizzly is not that big...LOL!)...
View attachment 492729

The best to you all for your adventures in the coming New Year!!
Looks great @AKDoc. I mean just great.

I feel the exact same way about hunts. Just to get out there is a simple, yet profound, joy.

Eddie

scp

Lil-Rokslider
That is a great looking great room, AKDoc. We’ll done all around. The memories in that room must be awesome to sit and reflect on!

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto this ......we had the same experience with Renfro's and shipping totes & supplies up prior to hunt.....brought de-boned meat back home via Alaska Air Cargo to process our selves. My experience was very good....only lesson learned for me was to not use polypropylene plastic totes (ie 27 gal commander totes )....learned after the fact that they do not do well in cold temperature (totes in cooler/freezer) busted on sides/bottom. Polyethylene totes do better in cold temperatures.
What’s the cost of shipping back via Alaska air cargo? I’m currently in the process of booking with Renfro. I know we have the option as well to buy fish boxes and bring them with us as checked luggage on our commercial flights. Just trying to weigh out my options

What’s the cost of shipping back via Alaska air cargo? I’m currently in the process of booking with Renfro. I know we have the option as well to buy fish boxes and bring them with us as checked luggage on our commercial flights. Just trying to weigh out my options
I shipped back my antlers and over 300lbs of meat for $550 using Alaska Air Cargo.

Thanks for the response. That ain't bad. I am definitely going to do some research and explore that option. So Alaska Air Cargo takes it and you have to then pick it up where exactly?
Picked it up at the Airport Air Cargo area. You have a way of tracking it but they'll call when it comes in.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
I'm glad you've already gotten some helpful responses from others to your question, especially from folks who live in the lower forty-eight. I'm a resident, so logistics might be a bit different for me (maybe?), but let me add a couple of things as you explore options...

Regarding Alaska Air Cargo, if you haven't yet done so, call them directly and get some specifics from them. What does it take to be a "known shipper" (you've got to be to use them); where do they ship that is close to you back home (they don't ship every where), and what are the shipping costs right now to your location (in this economy costs are a moving target and subject to change by this fall). I've used Alaska Air Cargo many times over the years shipping meat and fish to friends/family out of state...always good experiences.

Additionally, here are some other things to add if you go the route of AK Air Cargo. You're thinking smart to ship/bring your needed meat boxes/totes to Bethel so they are there for you...don't count on finding any in Bethel. Also, it would be a good idea to talk directly to Renfro and get some sense of space/location to process your meat for shipping back, e.g., breaking it down to get into the boxes/totes. I suspect space to do that may be pretty limited, but I don't know...and of course give yourself an extra full day after coming out of the field to do that. In Bethel the Alaska Airlines passenger "terminal" (LOL) and Alaska Air Cargo are in the same building. I'd also call the Bethel cargo office and get any additional specifics from them, e.g., wt limits/box, any special requirements for the containers, cargo freezer space that time of year, etc.

Here is what I've done for the past ten years out of Bethel, and it works really well for me. When my meat is brought out of the field, the Renfro guys take it directly to Evert's Air Cargo in Bethel. It goes into the Evert's freezer until shipped to ANC (usually the next day), and then into the Evert's freezer in ANC when it arrives. Evert's in ANC calls my chosen meat processor, who comes and gets it, and the processor calls my wife to ask how we would like it cut/processed. Renfro has the paper work that I complete in advance before going into the field, so that is all preset, which is great because I am likely still in the field. My meat processor of choice is Indian Valley Meats. I've used them for thirty years, and they do a great job. Their processed product options are numerous and excellent, and they guarantee I'm getting only my meat when processing (there are certain wt minimums with each processed product to ensure only my meat, but those wt requirements are reasonable for each product). BTW...I'm assuming nonresidents can do all of this as well, i.e., I'm betting Indian Valley Meats is a known shipper with Alaska Air Cargo but I don't know for sure or if they will even do this...call and ask.

Lots to consider, thankfully there are options, and pros/cons to every option. BTW, I do not profit in any way from any mentioned specifics. I'm just trying to be helpful to fellow hunters. The best to all of you in your planned adventures this year!!

Last edited:

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Indian Valley. They do an excellent job and never have disappointed me or friends that have used them for fish or game processing.