14,757'

Jimss

WKR
Someone has some serious coin if they've been on 81 sheep hunts! Multi-sheep hunts/year likely has a lot of guys drooling! Congrats!

OP
dukxdog

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
81 sheep hunts but using box store boots

Dude you made me laugh! These boots were the only 1000g boots I had broke in. Weather was going to be cold and I figured there would be more riding, glassing etc. than humping it around the rocks. I had no inclination to think that the boots would fall apart as they did. These boots were broke in with no visible issues presented. I've used lots of Cabela's boots and gear over the years with no troubles whatsoever. The boots are still in Kyrg. Ha!

For those who ask...

I started guiding hunters in Wyoming in 1976 at 19 years old. I worked for a big outfit with six different camps for elk, mule deer, antelope with occasional sheep hunters. My first season was mostly antelope with elk and deer at the end. I filled over 40 antelope hunters that first Sept and part October before moving over to guide elk and deer on the Little Greys River and Teton Wilderness.

The following two years I guided from a camp in the head of Greys River including Smith's Fork and head of Salt River for big mule deer. We got good ones. Camp boss there was Dean Lancaster from Smoot, WY. He was the best mentor helping me to be a great guide. Dean started guiding in the 1940's growing up in Star Valley he knew every acre of those mountains. He was like a father to me. I was a poll bearer at his funeral a few years back. I felt honored to be asked to do this for such a great man.

For the next season I was asked by the camp boss of another camp down the Greys to come hunt with him. It would just be me and him guiding from that camp called Big Greys. He was one of the top mule deer guides EVER so again I learned from the best. Big Greys camp is no longer there but it was adjacent to the Box Y Ranch then owned by Bud Callahan. We got massive bucks from this part of the river. It was really fun hunting.

I got my outfitter's license when I was 24. I exclusively guided Bighorn sheep hunters in five different areas for a few years before buying two wilderness elk camps adding to my business. I'd take out 4-6 sheep hunters each season during September and October. That's how I've been on so many sheep hunts. I quit guiding after 2002.

I've killed Dall sheep, California Bighorn and now Marco Polo. I've been fortunate to hunt for a living along with traveling around the world to hunt different species. I'm pretty low key so don't have an ego to fuel. I'm not a bragger or a bull$hitter. When I say something I can back it up. I just love being in good country or riding a good mule. It really doesn't matter what I'm hunting just so long as I'm doing what I want. I suppose I could fill a book but I'm really a lousy story teller. Just a hunter since I was six years old shooting sparrows with my Daisy.

I leave Saturday to hunt pheasants for 30 days in South Dakota. I am a fortunate guy who hunts a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4144.JPG
    IMG_4144.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3086.JPG
    IMG_3086.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 96
OP
dukxdog

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
Here are just a few of my life's hunting experiences. Thanks again for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 96
  • P8310274.JPG
    P8310274.JPG
    570.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 91
Dude you made me laugh! These boots were the only 1000g boots I had broke in. Weather was going to be cold and I figured there would be more riding, glassing etc. than humping it around the rocks. I had no inclination to think that the boots would fall apart as they did. These boots were broke in with no visible issues presented. I've used lots of Cabela's boots and gear over the years with no troubles whatsoever. The boots are still in Kyrg. Ha!

For those who ask...

I started guiding hunters in Wyoming in 1976 at 19 years old. I worked for a big outfit with six different camps for elk, mule deer, antelope with occasional sheep hunters. My first season was mostly antelope with elk and deer at the end. I filled over 40 antelope hunters that first Sept and part October before moving over to guide elk and deer on the Little Greys River and Teton Wilderness.

The following two years I guided from a camp in the head of Greys River including Smith's Fork and head of Salt River for big mule deer. We got good ones. Camp boss there was Dean Lancaster from Smoot, WY. He was the best mentor helping me to be a great guide. Dean started guiding in the 1940's growing up in Star Valley he knew every acre of those mountains. He was like a father to me. I was a poll bearer at his funeral a few years back. I felt honored to be asked to do this for such a great man.

For the next season I was asked by the camp boss of another camp down the Greys to come hunt with him. It would just be me and him guiding from that camp called Big Greys. He was one of the top mule deer guides EVER so again I learned from the best. Big Greys camp is no longer there but it was adjacent to the Box Y Ranch then owned by Bud Callahan. We got massive bucks from this part of the river. It was really fun hunting.

I got my outfitter's license when I was 24. I exclusively guided Bighorn sheep hunters in five different areas for a few years before buying two wilderness elk camps adding to my business. I'd take out 4-6 sheep hunters each season during September and October. That's how I've been on so many sheep hunts. I quit guiding after 2002.

I've killed Dall sheep, California Bighorn and now Marco Polo. I've been fortunate to hunt for a living along with traveling around the world to hunt different species. I'm pretty low key so don't have an ego to fuel. I'm not a bragger or a bull$hitter. When I say something I can back it up. I just love being in good country or riding a good mule. It really doesn't matter what I'm hunting just so long as I'm doing what I want. I suppose I could fill a book but I'm really a lousy story teller. Just a hunter since I was six years old shooting sparrows with my Daisy.

I leave Saturday to hunt pheasants for 30 days in South Dakota. I am a fortunate guy who hunts a lot.
I wish I could like this post more than once. I guess I know who I'll be trying to contact if I ever draw units 1-5 in Wyoming for sheep.

Looks like you've lead quite the life. Pretty cool pics. I especially like the older ones.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, cool Marco Polo but I'm with the other posters--more impressed about this being the 81st sheep hunt!

Nice ram and glad you were able to handle the adversity. Did you get to pursue any Mid-Asian Ibex? That's on my short list, along with a Stone Sheep.

Keep filling us in, I'm impressed.

Beautiful MP ram indeed, and my all time dream hunt, although I don’t know if it’ll ever come to fruition. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, thanks for sharing your past successes! That Cali Bighorn country looks fantastic, I will do that one day.