129gr ABLRs in 6.5 Grendel

fshaw

WKR
I’m working up a load for 129gr ABLRs. Just got done shooting, tried 30.0gr of LVR, approx 4” “group”. Shot another group with 8208 that was approx 1.5” so getting closer. What bullet jump are you guys shooting with ABLRs? I know that all rifles are individuals and that I need to do base to ogive tests but trying to save as many components as possible. Curious if most are finding success closer to lands or with a bigger jump.

Anyone have a powder that they love for that bullet, it ain’t Lever for me. I have just under a pound of 8208 which will get me through this fall, 748, BL-C2, 322, Varget, and others. Have researched online extensively so looking for first hand experience. Would look for a pound of AR Comp but would prefer to stay with published data. Got to 30 gr of Lever through Hodgdon and Hornady’s Grendel data and data on 6ARC bolt/gas guns. Rifle is a 22” Howa Mini that grouped sub 1” with a random 123gr ELDM load using 4198 put together for barrel break-in so the rifle has potential.

Thanks.

Frank

MThuntr

WKR
30gr of Lever is 1gr over max according to Hodgdonreloading.com. Start over and work up to a max load. Picking random loads is a good way to ruin a day at the range.

I think ABLRs like more jump...go 20 to 50 thousands

Last edited:
OP
F

fshaw

WKR
30.0 is 1 grain over a max load for an AR platform with a limit of 50,000 psi. I’m shooting a bolt gun and not interested in trying to turn a +4” group into something useable. I tried to be pretty specific in my post, thank you anyway.

I worked the 129 ABLR in my AR a fair amount with AR Comp which shoots great with 130 Berger AR Hybrids. Finally decided it wasn’t going to tighten up like I wanted. 129 shot well but my specific application was utilizing the lower expansion velocity of the 129 so they needed to hold 3/4 moa or better to push my max range further for wolves.

130 gets me to 500-550 yards before I drop too slow. Holds 3/4 moa or better consistently. 2390 fps muzzle velocity.

Next powder I’m moving to is H4895 haven’t shot that much yet and waiting for winter and my next brass cycle.

30gr of Lever is 1gr over max according to Hodgdonreloading.com. Start over and work up to a max load. Picking random loads is a good way to ruin a day at the range.

I think ABLRs like more jump...go 20 to 50 thousands

I used to think the same but found just the opposite. For me in several rifles they shoot best from touching to .015 off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MThuntr

WKR
30.0 is 1 grain over a max load for an AR platform with a limit of 50,000 psi. I’m shooting a bolt gun and not interested in trying to turn a +4” group into something useable. I tried to be pretty specific in my post, thank you anyway.
Seems like you just picked 30 from random load data (based on what you wrote). Changing seating depth won't probably fix a 4" group & messing with it is more work than it's worth.

ABLRs are notorious for being picky. The 123 SST was designed for the grendel I'd go there.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Seems like you just picked 30 from random load data (based on what you wrote). Changing seating depth won't probably fix a 4" group & messing with it is more work than it's worth.

ABLRs are notorious for being picky. The 123 SST was designed for the grendel I'd go there.
I didn’t pick 30.0 randomly. If you look at the Hodgdon 129 gr data and the Nosler 129gr ABLR data, Nosler shows higher max loads for 2 similar powders. If you extrapolate the percentage increases from Nosler data to the Hodgdon max for Lever you come up with right around 30.0. I’m looking for empirical information on the ABLR, it is the bullet I’d prefer to hunt with over the SST. As far as the ABLR being picky, that’s why I’m here.

Have you looked at the Grendel forum? There is a ton of info over there. I have a G and personally I’ve found the 100-123 seem to perform the best for a G. I’m not saying you won’t get 130 class bullets to perform it just might be more work than something lighter.

Fwiw ARComp and TAC powders seem to come up as constant performers. Good luck ironing out a load for it.

The Guide

WKR
Any reason you aren't using the Nosler load data and powders Nosler suggests?

Jay

ThorM465

WKR
Classified Approved
I like to load 129gr ABLR at 2.285" COL (0.145" JtL) in one rifle and at 2.265" COL (0.156" JtL) in the other Grendel. I've tried a few and now I use CFE 223 almost exclusively for anything over 105gr.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Any reason you aren't using the Nosler load data and powders Nosler suggests?

Jay

Velocity available if Lever shot well. That, numerous positive reviews online, and I had some. I have Nosler’s Reloading Guide #9.

Last edited:
OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Have you looked at the Grendel forum? There is a ton of info over there. I have a G and personally I’ve found the 100-123 seem to perform the best for a G. I’m not saying you won’t get 130 class bullets to perform it just might be more work than something lighter.

Fwiw ARComp and TAC powders seem to come up as constant performers. Good luck ironing out a load for it.
As you might guess, I’ve read it extensively. I hunt in the Adirondacks (densely forested) and shots are close. I like exit wounds if I can get them and the ABLRs seem like the best combination of wound damage (over monos) and penetration. We don’t thpically get to watch animals long enough to wait for a broadside behind the shoulder shot. I cut my own meat and try to stay off the shoulder when possible. I also don’t want to rely on hitting bone to aid expansion. As I said in my original post, I have an accurate load with 123gr ELDMs and can use them if the ABLRs don’t work out. I’ve been trying to get an accurate load with the powders that I have but am seriously considering picking up a pound of AR Comp.

Last edited:
I’ve had very limited success with any bullets over 120 grains or so in the Grendel. I too tried the 129 ABLRs in 3 different Grendel rifles and gave up pretty quickly. The case just doesn’t have the capacity to push it like I prefer it to and it’s a long bullet so it eats up precious case capacity.

I’ve moved to shooting bullets in the 100-110 grain category and am enjoying much better success on game and out to 600 yards with paper and steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As you might guess, I’ve read it extensively. I hunt in the Adirondacks (densely forested) and shots are close. I like exit wounds if I can get them and the ABLRs seem like the best combination of wound damage (over monos) and penetration. We don’t thpically get to watch animals long enough to wait for a broadside behind the shoulder shot. I cut my own meat and try to stay off the shoulder when possible. I also don’t want to rely on hitting bone to aid expansion. As I said in my original post, I have an accurate load with 123gr ELDMs and can use them if the ABLRs don’t work out. I’ve been trying to get an accurate load with the powders that I have but am seriously considering picking up a pound of AR Comp.
I run comp in mine and have been content with its performance.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Sierracharlie338, would you be willing to PM me your comp load? I understand that if I blow myself up (or injure myself) it’s my fault.

MikeD, I understand the desire for longer range performance but that’s not what we have where I hunt. A 75 yard shot is “reaching right out there in the Adirondack forest. In many years of hunting, and taking quite a few deer, I can only think of one buck that was legitimately beyond 100 yards. The past two year’s bucks were inside 30 yards. One out of a tree and one coming toward me on the game trail I was still hunting on. They get out of sight pretty quick after you pull the trigger.

The Guide

WKR
Sierracharlie338, would you be willing to PM me your comp load? I understand that if I blow myself up (or injure myself) it’s my fault.

MikeD, I understand the desire for longer range performance but that’s not what we have where I hunt. A 75 yard shot is “reaching right out there in the Adirondack forest. In many years of hunting, and taking quite a few deer, I can only think of one buck that was legitimately beyond 100 yards. The past two year’s bucks were inside 30 yards. One out of a tree and one coming toward me on the game trail I was still hunting on. They get out of sight pretty quick after you pull the trigger.
Maybe look at the 120 Nosler BT. My daughters Howa Mini Action runs those in a tiny little group and she has had pass throughs on mule deer and whitetails from 100 to 300 yards.

5 shots from an 11 year old girl at 100 yards. She was mad cause she thought she was missing the target cause she couldn't see her bullet holes.

124.jpg

She then took this buck at 100 yards after a 400 yard stalk.

134.jpg

It is violent on the insides and has exited for us.

Jay

Maybe look at the 120 Nosler BT. My daughters Howa Mini Action runs those in a tiny little group and she has had pass throughs on mule deer and whitetails from 100 to 300 yards.

5 shots from an 11 year old girl at 100 yards. She was mad cause she thought she was missing the target cause she couldn't see her bullet holes.

View attachment 760629

View attachment 760631

Jay
Excellent! I’ve had great luck with load development from my Howa mini with Nosler BT, 120eldm, 123sst, 120tgk. It’s been a fun gun to reload for.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Guys, I appreciate the suggestions but if you look at my original post I’m looking tor recommendations based on empirical experience with the 129gr ABLR. I’ve done a lot of research using every referenve that I can fond available and am aware of other available bullets. If I have to give up on ABLRs, the 120BT and 123gr ELDM will be next on my list. I’ve also read about successes with 123gr SSTs. I’m not there yet. I do appreciate the recommendations based on first hand experience. Thank you for that.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR

View attachment 760629

View attachment 760631

Jay
Thanks Jay. What powder are you using? Near max? I’d be interested in your load if you’d be willing to PM it. Thanks.