Heavy Bullets in 6.5 Grendel

fshaw

WKR
I’m waiting on a Pendleton stock to finish a 6.5 Grendel build on an 8 twist, 22” sporter barreled action from Brownell’s. Already have the JO bottom metal. I hunt the forest in the Adirondacks where shots are almost always inside 100 yards, often inside 50 yards. I’m buying a few bullets to develop a whitetail load with. I’ve been thinking of trying 140gr ELDMs and think I should end up with a load that, up to 100 yards, pretty closely duplicates a CM at 400 yards. Because deer get out of sight so guickly, and are difficult to track on dry leaves, I’m looking for consistent exits on broadside to quartering shots. Also, because I process and eat the game I take, I do not want to waste more meat than absolutely. Not interested in solid copper bullets at this time and have some 129gr ABLRs. What’s the consensus on 140gr ELDMs for effective wounds and probable exits?

Thanks.

Frank

Clayt

FNG
I have had consistent exits quarter and a bit larger size on at least 10 Oklahoma whitetail with 6.5G 123eld and 123sst. Under 100, Im not sure you would want to sacrifice the speed but the BC of the hevies would be better at distances over 300 yards. Either way, the 6.5G speeds seem to be a perfect match for the ELDM to avoid extreme expansion, which limits penetration.

Love the grendel, it really shines in 130 and under but it's optimal bullet weight is 120. eld-M, sst, 120 gold dot all great bullets at grendel speeds. I have a pile of 129 ablr I haven't had a chance to work up yet but with it's lower expansion threshold it should be a fantastic bullet if you can get it to shoot, seating depth is key with these.

Eric_F

FNG
140 g would definitely be heavier than I'd go, that will take up like half the case volume. I deer hunted for a few years with 129 gr ABLRs, OK accuracy (but totally acceptable for deer <200 yds) but great terminal performance. I only got like 2300 to 2350 fps, I wouldn't want to go any slower.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the heavier ELDMs would have the mass for some fragmentation and penetration as well. I’ve purchased some 123 ELDMs so will start with them and the ABLRs. Thanks for the help.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I dont think the 140's are gonna be great in a Grendel. I'd stick with a 130 and push it as fast as you can. Go for a 130TGK, they're a tough bullet, and you should get consistent pass throughs with it.