10x10 tarp for lightweight shelter or shaped tarp?

JV3220

FNG
With all the options for how to run a 10 x 10 tarp for a shelter. Is there really any advantage to a shape tarp? Going to pick up a larger Tepee this summer for hunting but was thinking it would be nice to have a tarp in my pack for spike camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have basically the same question. I have a roll of silnylon and am going to make a tarp. trying to decide size 10x10, 10x12 or 12x12? Or as op says shaped? Have made a paratipi like shelter and like it well its just not as adaptable as a tarp for pitching in tight spaces...

Muttly

WKR
I,ve got a DST for running light, but Stone Glacier has a little A frame tarp that weighs less, costs a bit more. Geared towards pitching with two trekking poles, definitely worth a look.

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Mountain Hardware Mountain Shelter LT, and the Bushcraft outfitters tarps. I’ve been running a 7x10 BCO tarp for years now in all manner of conditions with nothing but good things to say about it. I carry their MEST 5x7 for a footprint, gear cover, or to use as a fast setup glassing roof when rain hits last minute. I’m taking their 10x10 to Idaho in a few weeks for a backpack spring bear hunt, as it gives me a lot of flexibility in pitching options and only weighs around a pound.

All that said, I’m very tempted to pull the trigger on a Mountain Shelter LT before my next bear hunt. It’s roomier and faster to set up than my 10x10, and it’s slightly lighter.

I have a dst and a couple of tarps. I think the tarps are a bit more efficient for space when pitched as an overhead shelter. A little lighter but also a bit more $$$. The dst is square and is fairly cheap and nversatile. It can fit 2 people pretty well or 3 in a pinch.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted out of a DST Tarp and a Kifaru Supertarp. I prefer the DST in a standard flying diamond pitch over a Supertarp standard pitch for early elk at least because it feels like more usable space and headroom (and I love my Supertarp). Hard to beat a square tarp for versatility, particularly if it is an add-on for spiking out. For me, a 10x10 tarp is worth the few extra ounces over a smaller tarp in terms of comfort and weather protection.

I’ve run the DST quite a bit and appreciated its versatility with different pitch options but ended up ordering their new Eolus tarp because I usually ended up using the same pitch anyways and I think the Eolus will pitch tighter and be less noisy in wind