$1000 or less Binoculars

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
My dog chewed up my old Nikon Monarch binoculars last year. They were a great binocular for the style of hunting I do. AKA throwing them in the hunting bag/ dropping them out of deer stands etc. I really like the Nikon HG's and Im considering the Monarch M7's for the price. I will not pay more then 1k for them since I know I will not be taking that great of care of them. I hunted last year with some old Brunton Eterna's. Not bad but a little too heavy for my taste so weight is an issue and they just didnt perform or have the same feel as the 13ish year old Monarchs.

I guess Im wanting opinions on other binoculars or experiences with the Nikon. I also hunted with a buddy that had some Leupold but I cant remember what model and they were pretty nice. Any and all opinions and suggestions welcomed. Im also not opposed to buying used if anyone has a pair they are wanting to sell. I wear glasses so eye relief is really important.

Eddie

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In no particular order:

Zeiss Conquest 8x42

Kowa Genesis 8.5x44

GPO 8x42 Passion HD

Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 8x42

All these are also available in 10x magnification, however, if you're in a deer stand I'm thinking 8x for the wider FOV

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
I have Nikon M5's that I like while hunting, I can be rough on gear at times too. They are decent for hunting and won't break the bank as you said. If I was looking for new glass today at or around the price mark you mentioned, I'd look at Maven.

pendo11

FNG
I have been really impressed by the Tract Binocular. Great customer service ( I stepped on my them and damaged them, Tract warrantied them caused by my carelessness). With my eyes they are comparable to my buddies Vortex Razor HDs.

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
I would grab those Leica trinovids in the optics classifieds for $625. Hoping someone else buys them soon cause if he drops the price any lower they're gonna end up living in my truck...
Scratch that, they gone now.

Mojave

WKR
Eye releif is a huge pain in the ass.

I have 20-450 vision, and I must wear glasses to see beyond my nose.

Finding a comparable thing to the Monarchs are going to be tough. I used to have a pair of 8.5x56 Monarchs and they were ace.

I have a pair of 10x56 and 10x42 Brunton Eternas. Not enough eye relief on either one of them for me to be happy.

OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man I have my work cut out for me. I need to do a lot of homework and see what fits me best. Keep the suggestions coming. Im home with the Rona so Im not doing chit for the next couple of days.

Hoodie

WKR
Most 8x42 will have sufficient eye relief for glasses.

The Monarch HG is great binocular, but there's a trade-off between lightweight and durability. The MHG handles more like an 8x32, but it doesn't have armor all the way around the barrels. Nikon's warranty is also not as strong as other companies.

If you're rough on binoculars I'd point you towards the Meopta Meostar if you don't mind a little weight in exchange for durability. Or the Maven B1.2 for a great warranty and a lighter option. Can't go wrong with either.

OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
In no particular order:

Zeiss Conquest 8x42

Kowa Genesis 8.5x44

GPO 8x42 Passion HD

Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 8x42

All these are also available in 10x magnification, however, if you're in a deer stand I'm thinking 8x for the wider FOV

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments
What about in a 10x42? Also what do you think about the Maven B1.2 vs Nikon Mon HG?

WRO

WKR
Monarch hg or meopta meostars.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What about in a 10x42? Also what do you think about the Maven B1.2 vs Nikon Mon HG?
I have never seen any Maven products so I have no first hand opinion.

Since Nikon changed their warranty from lifetime no questions asked to a 7 year proof of purchase required they've fallen out of popularity. They do not offer anything revolutionary compared to anyone else so I'd suggest a GPO Passion HD, Kowa Genesis or Leupold Santiam instead

OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
@TxxAgg has some Monarch HG's for sale but I can't contact him in the classified. I just registered yesterday and I dont have enough time on the site. Anyone know him or can get me a number? Thanks Eddie

I found some used Kowa's and they are amazing. I was thinking I'd end up with some of the Tract Torics after doing some research for something around $500 +/- but found a smokin deal on these and they are incredible. Glad I went this route and highly recommend them.

Doodlebug76

Lil-Rokslider
I have recently tried a few glasses in the 1000 or less price range. Here's my 2 cents; however, as a disclaimer, I don't where glasses. Ordered from best for my eyes to worst.

Zeiss Conquest

Leica Trinovids

Tract Toric

Nikon Monarch

Nikon Prostaff

Vortex Viper

I would also state that the differences between the Zeiss all the way down to the monarch were slight in terms of optical performance. I felt the Zeiss were the best all around in terms of optical, feel and ease of use. Optically the Leica's outperformed the Tract and Nikons, but the Nikons felt the second best in hand. The Tracts were decent optically (on par with the monarch), but a bit heavier and a little more bulky feel. I have tried numerous Vortex products and want to like them because of the warranty offered, but have pretty much found everything Vortex to carry a price point at two to three times their performance and quality.