100% polyester vs “fleece”

Hi this is my first post but I’ve been lurking this forum for awhile read various post it’s helped me lots when I ordered my stone glacier sky 5900.
I’m in the market for some mid-layers and these name brand are pretty pricey for what they are. so I went to some local store for some fleece to my surprise lots of tags don’t give specifics on the fleece and lots will only say 100% polyester.
my question is, is there a difference in 100% polyester and fleece? Or are they the same? Do they perform differently from each other?

OP
T
I’ll also add some won’t advertise as being fleece, but feels like it when I look into the tags it’ll say 100% polyester

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Did lots of research on layers so hoping to help. For fleece consider the weight (normally 100, 200, 300). Lower weights are lighter/packable and more breathable and heavier is warmer. Also look at spandex content which allows stretch but also doesn't dry as fast as 100% poly. Most of the hunting brands offer a grid fleece which is even more breathable and made for hiking. Lots of options but you don't need to spend much on this layer. Let us know what you'll be using it for such as long backwoods hikes or stand hunting and I think you'll get lots of recommendations that won't break the bank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thanks for the quick reply. My main use is stalking deer late season when the snow hits the ground temps are freezing 0C I’ve been out there In -20c (-4c) I hike their trails in the snow stalk em sit out in high traffic areas where lots of deer trails cross and pack em out.. I did some research I was trying to look for 200 weight fleece not hunting brand specific but out in my shopping I found lots of 100% polyester which is back to my original question.. is this the stuff I’m looking for? Does it perform the same as stuff labelled as “fleece”

bob1sh

FNG
I personally bought into the clothing “systems” this year but the people I look up to the most that are consistently killing BIG deer are still wearing flannels and wool.. I’m definitely second guessing all of the money I spent. I will say the base layer has proven to be very beneficial but all of the other layering pieces and camo patterns are questionable imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the quick reply. My main use is stalking deer late season when the snow hits the ground temps are freezing 0C I’ve been out there In -20c (-4c) I hike their trails in the snow stalk em sit out in high traffic areas where lots of deer trails cross and pack em out.. I did some research I was trying to look for 200 weight fleece not hunting brand specific but out in my shopping I found lots of 100% polyester which is back to my original question.. is this the stuff I’m looking for? Does it perform the same as stuff labelled as “fleece”
The short answer is probably not unless it has some kind of brushed surface. 100% poly with a smooth surface is normally a type of base layer and used for the sweat management. A fleece will have a brushed surface to trap heat. I'd just do a search for "fleece" or better yet "polar tech fleece" and you'll find thousands of options. My favorites are eddie bauer ($20?) and patagonia R1 (expensive but amazing). North face tka is really good as well for a lighter weight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
T
I personally bought into the clothing “systems” this year but the people I look up to the most that are consistently killing BIG deer are still wearing flannels and wool.. I’m definitely second guessing all of the money I spent. I will say the base layer has proven to be very beneficial but all of the other layering pieces and camo patterns are questionable imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m borderline of jumping over to the big name brands from all this hype I read about online.. but the price holds me back I’m successful every year in both moose with calling techniques and deer with stalking techniques and every year I swet my bag off I’m looking to make some changes to my layers. I’ll be honest I don’t have any big name gear I wear Costco paradox base layers and a Canadian tire hunting jacket that I had for years with bass pro boots. I’m a dedicated hunter as it’s our only red meat for the whole year I just never bothered to upgrade my gear until now I decided to not buy my yearly new gun and upgrade my gear which most of it was spent on the stone glacier pack lol.

Jimss

WKR
One of my favorite shirts is Cabelas "micro-fleece." It used to come in 2 different thickness. I really like the heavier one. I've used and abused it for years and it wears like iron. It also dries super fast. The price was right. I imagine it is still a lot cheaper than similar Kuiu and Sitka....which I use a lot.

P Carter

WKR
Sorry if I misunderstand...but many or most fleeces are 100% polyester. Polyester is the textile from which most fleece is made. But not all polyester is fleece. So if you’re handling something that looks and feels like fleece, and the tag says 100% polyester, that’s not really telling you anything. But if you’re looking online and something is described as 100% polyester but it’s not called a fleece, you’re probably not looking at a fleece.

You should be able to tell the weight by feeling how thick the fleece is between your fingers. 100 wt, 200 wt, 300 wt, etc. I think most fleeces within a weight class perform comparatively. I’m partial to grid fleeces, myself, but with fleeces I don’t think you get a large step up in performance for increased price. A solid store brand, Columbia, or similar should do you just fine.

OP
T
Sorry if I misunderstand...but many or most fleeces are 100% polyester. Polyester is the textile from which most fleece is made. But not all polyester is fleece. So if you’re handling something that looks and feels like fleece, and the tag says 100% polyester, that’s not really telling you anything. But if you’re looking online and something is described as 100% polyester but it’s not called a fleece, you’re probably not looking at a fleece.

You should be able to tell the weight by feeling how thick the fleece is between your fingers. 100 wt, 200 wt, 300 wt, etc. I think most fleeces within a weight class perform comparatively. I’m partial to grid fleeces, myself, but with fleeces I don’t think you get a large step up in performance for increased price. A solid store brand, Columbia, or similar should do you just fine.
Thanks for the reply makes sense... so I guess polartec is the way to go then no more guessing :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
P Carter described it well. IMO you don't need a name brand fleece to have a great working mid layer. One of my favorites I found at Goodwill without any recognizable name to me.

three5x5s

WKR
It all depends on where you want to wear that fleece. base layer- mid layer or outer layer. Sitka-Kuiu fleece is designed to be wore as one of these layers, so each piece is cut and made different. Pockets, hoods, pit zips all are made to be layered. You can see the different sizing here. https://www.sitkagear.com/fit-guide. The features and the fit could be better in the hunting brands.