10 Days To Get Into Sheep Shape. What to do???

RyanD16

FNG
Had a buddy hurt his knee and can’t make his hunt August 21. I’m able to go in his place. I have worked out 5 days per week for the past 2 years. I Went on a goat hunt last October (kicked my butt but made it and tagged a nice Billy) and a red stag hunt in Argentina in March. Put in a lot of miles.

If I would have planned for this trip I would have been training with my pack for a few months. Im in the best strength shape of my life so I know I can handle the hunt just being a last minuet deal want to get the most out of the next 2 weeks.

My question is what would you do as far as training for the next 14 days??

I’m thinking stair machine with 60lb pack for 30-45min, weighted step ups, front squats and lunges.

I live in Louisiana so no mountains close by. My goat hunt I remember the strain on my legs with the constant climbing. Every day did get easier until it was muscle memory. I did not train on the stairs prior to the goat hunt just 2-3 miles a day with full pack on flat ground. Nothing I did in the year prior prepared me for the goat hunt. The only thing was just grinding it day after day.

My thought process is if I can mimic the mountain as best as I can for the next few weeks I hope to get conditioned enough to ease the pain

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eagle

WKR
Mountain bike wherever you can and go in the lowest gear you can maintain. The strain on your quads is about as close as you can get. And any weighted packing you can do on uneven terrain for all the side hilling your likely to do should help too. Make sure your feet are good to go with your boots for those constant side hills.

OP
R

RyanD16

FNG
Marcelo Sodiro
South American Adventure Safaris

We hunted Parque Diana. They have a 5 star lodge and plenty free range stag. A fellow hunting there during our hunt killed the new world record.

View attachment 436440
Marcelo Sodiro

We hunted Parque Diana. They have a 5 star lodge and plenty free range stag. A fellow hunting there during our hunt killed the new world record.

View attachment 436440

Attachments

• 88F28516-BE06-4A41-A610-4F42BD69C632.jpeg
    88F28516-BE06-4A41-A610-4F42BD69C632.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 18C44D7A-FE53-4272-B862-D02455D8F189.jpeg
    18C44D7A-FE53-4272-B862-D02455D8F189.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 28EC27C6-6CFE-431D-8C62-9B5A116B4A76.jpeg
    28EC27C6-6CFE-431D-8C62-9B5A116B4A76.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 6F0E33ED-FD90-4000-B2D3-F3E38D2B86AB.jpeg
    6F0E33ED-FD90-4000-B2D3-F3E38D2B86AB.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 104
Mountain bike wherever you can and go in the lowest gear you can maintain. The strain on your quads is about as close as you can get. And any weighted packing you can do on uneven terrain for all the side hilling your likely to do should help too. Make sure your feet are good to go with your boots for those constant side hills.
This. And don't forget to shoot!
You'll be fine.

It's gonna suck, no matter what, right? But at least you're sheep hunting!

I'd focus most on making sure I wasn't injured before or during the hunt. For me I'd throw 50 lbs on my back and do 300-400 step ups, repeating every other day. Jump rope or burpees on off days to get the heart rate up. I'd also do hip strengthening drills with bands. and mobility work on my hips and any other tight spots. Hips are always the first weak points to show up if I'm not ready for the mountains.

I usually try not to be blasting my legs too bad the week before I head out on a hunt.

Stretching, yoga, bicycle riding and swimming, in that order. People don't realize just how important the stretching and yoga actually is, in terms of long-term and short-term preparation for an extreme hunt.

Just don’t hurt yourself. Sounds like you have a good handle on your discipline if you train as regularly as you do. But the last minute kinda of cram-it-in workout programs, in my experience, never end well for me. Like the I only have 20 minutes to work out today, better smash myself, and then I’m sore for 4 days kind of deal/

MJB

WKR
Don't over think it training now is rest and mild weight work outs but long distance walking/hiking to improve your endurance.
Elevation is your biggest task at hand. Start now with good sleep, hydrate and take baby aspirin or other elevation supplements to thin your blood so you don't get elevation sickness.

Good luck!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
In 14 days, protect the conditioning you have.

Perhaps do three (at most) hard workouts of 2 + hours this week. Then do a week of active recovery keeping your HR low. Long walks, very slow runs (depending on your cardio conditioning level). If you do not have a heart rate monitor, just walk as it is too easy to over do it.

At this point you will be dependent on the base you have already built, over training for 10 days could harm that base.

TXCO

WKR
Marcelo Sodiro

View attachment 436440

I hunted with Marcelo 10 years ago. Great guy and trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
2 weeks is enough to improve your conditioning a bit. More important than that, you need to make sure your feet are up to the task so get out and hike with a pack on: trails, stadium stairs, whatever works. Don’t kill yourself.

jofes

WKR
I would suggest whatever workout you decide to do, go at a conversation pace for at least one hour. Let us know how it goes!