1 large or 2 medium size gun safes?

Mikedr

WKR
I currently have 30 gun gun safe but it is jam packed full. I’m in the market to buy another safe and the 64 gun and 48 gun safe size appear to be what I need. I know that the number (64gun) is very optimistic and is not realistic.
I wondering if it is better to own a couple of gun safes in the medium size vs 1 large gun safe.
What pros and cons have you experienced with gun safe size and would you change your gun safe size if you could do it over again?

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I would buy another medium size. Past 36 and they get a little unwieldy and heavy for anything other than a slab or a built for area. I have a small extra safe in the garage with some 22s ans shotguns. Not a huge fan of garage safes. Away from my dogs and literally right next to every tool you would need to get in one.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I'd go as big as you have room for. My big one is in my bedroom and I have a smaller one in my reloading room just for powder and live rounds. The smaller one is as heavy as 2 guys can carry up the stairs. The big one required 3 guys and equipment to get where its at. I put other stuff in the big one besides guns and it works great.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If you are on a slab an you don't have moving in your near future, one safe might be the way to go. But as mentioned guns in one safe, ammo in the other, so there is that to be said for two safes. One hell of a problem you have there. :)

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
Thanks for all the input. I’ve got at least 1 more move in a couple years but hopefully that’ll be it for a while. I do like the idea of keeping my current gun safe regardless of the size my new one is. I was going to sell it if I got a big safe so I’m glad I asked the question and got the notion to keep it. Having it for powder, primers, and ammo seems like a good idea.

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
If you are on a slab a you don't have moving in your near future, one safe might be the way to go. But as mentioned guns in one safe, ammo in the other, so there is that to be said for two safes. One hell of a problem you have there. :)
I have 3 boys so the number of guns will only grow for the next 16 years or so. A terrible problem haha.

Sinistram

FNG
My position has always been multiple safes as opposed to one giant safe. Those huge guys are impossible to move, and they're typically more expensive. Also, if you move from one small safe to a bigger safe, you still have to find out how to get rid of the old one. Speaking strictly practically from a security standpoint, breaking into one giant safe is easier than breaking into three smaller safes. Same effort times X number of boxes.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I’d definitely go with two smaller safes instead of one big one. As others have said they are a whole lot easier to move and you have more options as to where you want to keep them with the lighter weight of each safe.

I got 1 large 64 and its chock full as well. I need another too, but it will likely be a 30 gun this time. I had no problem with that 1400 pound behemoth. You just have to know how to move heavy equipment around. As far a security goes, if you have a 24/7 security service you have no worries. Trust me, the police will be there before the thief even gets his tools on your safe.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I recently upgraded from a 24 gun safe to 64 - still have lots of room available. It's massive though. Still trying to figure out what to do with the smaller safe. Was thinking of selling, but maybe I'll use for ammo storage, etc.

INshooter

FNG
I’m a fan of 2 smaller ones. In the unlikely event there is a fire, in my mind you have a chance of at least one of the safes seals holding and protecting half your guns. On the other hand if there were a break in, they have double the work to get “everything”. And yes I’ve had a gun safe broken into, so it at least means something to me lol

Bluefish

WKR
I would go large. The advantage of a big safe is the height. When I got into long range and shotguns, I needed more height. If moving is an issue , zanotti armory. Their safes come apart. Heaviest part is the door.

Maybe it’s just me, but I won’t store powder, ammo, primers in a safe. They don’t vent and putting explosives in a steel box is building a potential bomb. I believe by fire code, all that should be stored in a wood container built with nails.