1 Bullet for Western Hunting

If you could use only 1 of these bullets for Western Hunting (0-600 Yds) what would it be?

• 108 ELDM

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • 115 DTAC w/Nosering

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 130 TMK

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • 140 ELDM

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • 147 ELDM

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Agreed. Not sure why the accubond long range isn’t as popular.

Because it is expensive, finicky to load, difficult to find most of the time, and has middle of the road performance in general. It doesn’t do anything better than ELD-X’s except look prettier after it has killed.

Fat_hog

FNG
Because it is expensive, finicky to load, difficult to find most of the time, and has middle of the road performance in general. It doesn’t do anything better than ELD-X’s except look prettier after it has killed
They are expensive, at least by today’s retail prices. I remember a time they were around $50 a box and have always shot well with little load work up; perhaps some luck was involved.

I would have to disagree on performance though. Those eld x are nothing more than a cup core projectile marketed for hunting. The accubonds will at least stay together

Fat_hog

FNG
What does staying together mean in terms of how it kills?
How it kills? A broad head or a lead ball will kill. What’s your point? That’s not what was asked or the intent of this thread. A simple dissenting opinion gets a lot of flack if it isn’t littered with Berger or eld.

eric1115

WKR
How it kills? A broad head or a lead ball will kill. What’s your point? That’s not what was asked or the intent of this thread. A simple dissenting opinion gets a lot of flack if it isn’t littered with Berger or eld.
When I say "how it kills" I'm asking about wound channel characteristics.

In my experience a bullet that holds together usually doesn't kill as emphatically as one that tends to fragment more.

Not trying to give you flack, just interested in hearing the reasoning behind your opinion.

Fat_hog

FNG
When I say "how it kills" I'm asking about wound channel characteristics.

In my experience a bullet that holds together usually doesn't kill as emphatically as one that tends to fragment more.

Not trying to give you flack, just interested in hearing the reasoning behind your opinion.
I simply prefer a pass through if it doesn’t drop where it stands. I’ve preferred the accubonds simply because of the data behind them and their manufacturing process. I think the margin of error with poor performance is reduce because it’s designed to stay together. From what I have seen with cup/core or fragmenting bullets is there is a higher degree of unpredictability; some have complete pencil like performance and others have explosive characteristics, some have others.

For empathetic kill, I have rarely seen an animal travel much if at all with the ablr. All have passed through with reliable expansion (I check everytime during the skinning process - curious person). It’s for those reasons I think the accubonds are a superior bullet. Not saying your experiences aren’t relevant; they are and worth as much as mine are.