1 Bullet for Western Hunting

If you could use only 1 of these bullets for Western Hunting (0-600 Yds) what would it be?

• 108 ELDM

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • 115 DTAC w/Nosering

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 130 TMK

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • 140 ELDM

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • 147 ELDM

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters

WKR
Voted 147 eld but have a few 140 vld that will be used up first. Nothing but great performance from the 140 vld at muzzle velocites from 2600-2950 fps.

rootacres

WKR
What is better at 600 yards (lower velocity impact) than a match bullet?

Match bullets are very good at distance. For the OPs setup it's a good option. Id just prefer something going faster than a creedmore and heavier than a 147 gr if I had to pick 1 bullet for all western hunting. . . A 6.5 PRC, 7 SAUM, 7 RM etc. with your choice of match bullet.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Match bullets are very good at distance. For the OPs setup it's a good option. Id just prefer something going faster than a creedmore and heavier than a 147 gr if I had to pick 1 bullet for all western hunting. . . A 6.5 PRC, 7 SAUM, 7 RM etc. with your choice of match bullet.

Why not 108 eldm at 6 creedmoor speeds?

I hear ya.

If you were to grab 1000 Roksliders at random and ask them if they would choose a 108-147gr match bullet at creedmore speeds or another option I would wager more would choose the other option. Again, that's not to say it can't be done. Im not against match bullets for hunting. I just believe there are better options at 600yds on western big game.

**I didnt say light/mid weight for caliber. I just said light/mid weight. A 147gr ELDM is heavy for caliber but would be considered medium weight when compared to other cartridges/calibers commonly being used for hunting.
Now that I re read your post I see what you’re saying about bullet weights sorry for the confusion. And you’re probably right about asking 1000 random members as there are a lot of varying opinions on this forum, one of the things that make it so great.

Juan_ID

WKR
I can’t believe you’d put a poll on a hunting forum asking hunters which match bullet they would use for a do all big game hunting bullet… I’ve seen it all now! 😂

Just kidding, I only have experience with the 147 eld-Murderer and it’s been nothing but great results for us. With that said I’m going to say the 108eld because the 6mm is so fun to shoot and they shoot real dang good even out of my slow ass 6arc lol. I’ve grown fond of the 6mm over the last few months. 🤷‍♂️ Hoping to have 3 deers stand still long enough to test the 108’s next month and if they’re anything like their rainbow flying big brother they’ll be 👌

Last edited:
OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Just kidding, I only have experience with the 147 eld-Murderer and it’s been nothing but great results for us. With that said I’m going to say the 108eld because the 6mm is so fun to shoot and they shoot real dang good even out of my slow ass 6arc lol. I’ve grown fond of the 6mm over the last few months.
I have thought really hard about the 108 ELDM. I was leaning heavily towards the 6.5 Creed with the 130 TMK after reading some of Forms posts. But I have seen a lot of good around the 108 and I do like the idea of reduced recoil for spotting hits. I know both will kill I just always get into analysis paralysis with this stuff.

I am really hoping that (M) mag turns out to be the ticket for that "slow" little Arc.

If I was smart, I would probably pump the breaks on figuring out my next build. I should probably just focus on getting some kills with my 22 Creedmoor and the 88's.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
None of those. I would prefer accubond long range or terminal ascent if really wanted to shoot out to 600

Lou

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had my wife’s rifle shooting the 140g eldm really well. From the choices you provided, that would be my pick. My personal preference though is a 130g accubond or a 124g hammer hunter.

Pdzoller

WKR
140 eldm
Been using them for a couple years now and haven’t found anything I don’t like. My rifle absolutely loves them and they are cheap. Haven’t tried the other options but I have tried several different bullets. With the grouping from the 140’s out of my rifle I am way more confident in my ability and thus have increased my MER.

I don’t really care that much about the wound channel as long as I can put a lethal hole in the vitals consistently. With that said, the heart and lungs were soup in the bear I shot this year.

TheCreeds

FNG
I was just looking at the poll results. What does the 147 ELDM do that the 140 ELDM doesn't? Is it just people wanting a heavier bullet because they are smaller cartridges?