1/2 ton 6cyl diesel and midsize diesel experiences

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Didn’t know speed was a consideration! Go with the 6.2L, it’ll put your back against the seat.
Longevity, MPG, cost. It's seems one can grab a 0mi 2.7L with all the options I want for the same price as a 50kMI other engines a few years old. I think 0mi would give me as long of a warranty as possible.

It's also quiet so I can stick to road hunting.

Small child gave the 2.7L twin turbo five toes and two thumbs rating. There was a lot of waaahoopooowwwwwy screams from the back seat accelerating.

PXL_20240615_171850653.jpg

h2so4

WKR
I think the 2.7 uses a similar cylinder and/or sleeve design to allow for higher pressure - deisgns also used in diesel. I was looking for the article about it, but couldn’t find it.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I think the 2.7 uses a similar cylinder and/or sleeve design to allow for higher pressure - deisgns also used in diesel. I was looking for the article about it, but couldn’t find it.

It's interesting. If it has similar mpg as the diesel I'd have probably bought one today. We don't haul anything other than a wall tent camp and big coolers with meat, add a topper, and that's MY max payload. So, daily driver, getting up the hill, and no terrible 4 wheeling. I think we do need the cargo space of a full size truck for certain.

I question the longevity of the 2.7L, but I suppose it is not any newer than the 3.0diesel. I wanted to drive it to see if it sucked, but it was fun. I'd want to cruise up Floyd Hill and see if it sucks, but it's likely ahead of my 05 Hemi.

I'm struggling deciphering the trims it is available in.

fmyth

WKR
Nearly all new gas engines have aluminum blocks with pressed in steel cylinder sleeves. The primary purpose to going to an aluminum block is weight savings. They all have aluminum heads too which makes them extremely sensitive to overheating. Not many will survive a single overheating event.

Last edited:
This guy is right on the ram 1500 eco diesel and the baby powerstroke.

He is wrong on the 3.0 duramax. The emission system is all under the hood on these. Not sure how they did it but they made it reliable. 28 mpg my buddy is getting in the mountains of pa. He got 37 on his way to Maine. The 3.0 will be my next truck in 2 years or so.

I got near 150 thousand on my 14 6.6 duramax. It’s been a great reliable truck but it is deleted. 16 mpg is getting old.
37 lol.. must have been all down hill. My brother owns an 2021 duramax... he gets 28 on the freeway. I bought a 2022 brand new..have 21k on it and I am lucky to see 22.5 mpg on the freeway doing 75. These are great trucks...

Kasey

Mrcrosno

FNG
37 lol.. must have been all down hill. My brother owns an 2021 duramax... he gets 28 on the freeway. I bought a 2022 brand new..have 21k on it and I am lucky to see 22.5 mpg on the freeway doing 75. These are great trucks...

Ka

Kasey
Same, I bought a 2023 new and have 18k on it and have averaged 21.7 during that time. You can get 28mpg if you’re on a semi flat road under 75mph. When you deal with any stop and go traffic, drive over 75 or are on a hilly road not a chance.

Add in the cost of diesel, DEF, increased maintenance cost, pulling into a gas station and 2 cars are at the diesel pumps, etc.. you’re better off with the gas in my opinion.

tdhanses

WKR
Oh! I do know this one. The oil pump was changed from a rubber belt to a gear and chain, and a couple minor other things. Replacing either requires removal of the transmission and the chain is intended to be more durable than the belt.
Recommended interval is 200k on that, love my 3,0 dmax, 60k mikes and never feel like I am filling it up, just goes for ever on a tank, usually fill around 21 gal used.

tdhanses

WKR
Same, I bought a 2023 new and have 18k on it and have averaged 21.7 during that time. You can get 28mpg if you’re on a semi flat road under 75mph. When you deal with any stop and go traffic, drive over 75 or are on a hilly road not a chance.

Add in the cost of diesel, DEF, increased maintenance cost, pulling into a gas station and 2 cars are at the diesel pumps, etc.. you’re better off with the gas in my opinion.
I put $18 in def in mine every 5-6k,unless towing, fuel filter every 25k is around $20, yeah your right best get a gas engine with this kinda extra maintenance and cost.

Just as an fyi, my wife’s 6.2l gas yukon goes 350 miles on a tank, my 3.0 dmax goes 550 miles every tank, both do a combo of city/hwy driving and both have 24-25gal tanks, I’ll let you do the math, oh and you are also recommended to run premium octane in the gas engine.

Not a chance you get 28 on the 22s or newer.. I've tried 65 in a 65 on free way.. to 90 on the freeway and it'd like 2.0 mpg difference.. 20.5 at 90.. 22.5 doing 65

Eh... I love my dizzle.. way better then a gas with torque.. why I'm going to swap my suzuki sidekick to a 1.9l tdi dizzle

Kasey

jsb04

FNG
Have a 2022 Silverado with the diesel. Only at around 20,000 but no complaints so far. I don’t use it to tow anything though, just a work truck and driver. Stays around 25 mpg on the monitor, haven’t ever checked it at the pump but it seems to be decently accurate based on how many miles I average per tank. I would definitely buy again one again based on the experience I’ve had with this one.

Mrcrosno

FNG
Not a chance you get 28 on the 22s or newer.. I've tried 65 in a 65 on free way.. to 90 on the freeway and it'd like 2.0 mpg difference.. 20.5 at 90.. 22.5 doing 65
Just on one trip on the drive summary, I’ve done it a couple of times, it the exception not the rule. I’ve average 21.5 over the 18k miles I’ve driven it.