1/2 ton 6cyl diesel and midsize diesel experiences

sndmn11

WKR
Curious of folks experiences with 1/2 ton full size 6cyl diesels, regardless of Ford/Dodge/GM. Additionally, mid size diesels like in the Colorado/Canyon.

Id like to understand maintenance costs/needs that are beyond gasoline, if I could expect 300-500k on one, etc.

I drove a Sierra 3.0duramax today, and a Canyon gas V6, and liked them more than I expected to.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
Curious of folks experiences with 1/2 ton full size 6cyl diesels, regardless of Ford/Dodge/GM. Additionally, mid size diesels like in the Colorado/Canyon.

Id like to understand maintenance costs/needs that are beyond gasoline, if I could expect 300-500k on one, etc.

I drove a Sierra 6.0duramax today, and a Canyon gas V6, and liked them more than I expected to.
6.0 Duramax? Never seen one.

180ls1

WKR
The EPA has really hammered modern diesels and any added durability and mpg is offset by maintenance, repairs and purchase price. They are still king for towing though.

I'd give the v6 ram rebel a hard look. 300hp, 20mpg, great reliability and they can be found in the 20's now. Rams also have class leading comfort.

h2so4

WKR
Rams also have class leading comfort.
Respectfully disagree. The Ram Rebel I’ve been in does not come close to my f150 lariat. I specifically get the “sport” instead of the fx4 to preserve ride comfort. It’s quiet and I can drive it for 8 hrs and not feel worn out like in other vehicles.

180ls1

WKR
Respectfully disagree. The Ram Rebel I’ve been in does not come close to my f150 lariat. I specifically get the “sport” instead of the fx4 to preserve ride comfort. It’s quiet and I can drive it for 8 hrs and not feel worn out like in other vehicles.

Yeah, i don't disagree but to provide context, a lot of that is due to trim. The rebel is offroad tuned with E rated tires. I have no doubt your lariat rides better than the rebel. If you compared the ram laramie/limited or similar to your lariat, it likely rides better.

Afhunter1

WKR
Nothing compares to the Babymax. I just bought one in Dec after seeing my dad’s. 12,500 tow rating in a half ton and getting 24.4mpg and bullet proof. I love it! Drags my 10k boat around like nothing. I had a 2500 6.6 d-max before this and I’m not missing anything. Don’t drive 80 with the boat like my 2500 but 70 is ok. Ha ha

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
The EPA has really hammered modern diesels and any added durability and mpg is offset by maintenance, repairs and purchase price. They are still king for towing though.

I'd give the v6 ram rebel a hard look. 300hp, 20mpg, great reliability and they can be found in the 20's now. Rams also have class leading comfort.
This guy is right on the ram 1500 eco diesel and the baby powerstroke.

He is wrong on the 3.0 duramax. The emission system is all under the hood on these. Not sure how they did it but they made it reliable. 28 mpg my buddy is getting in the mountains of pa. He got 37 on his way to Maine. The 3.0 will be my next truck in 2 years or so.

I got near 150 thousand on my 14 6.6 duramax. It’s been a great reliable truck but it is deleted. 16 mpg is getting old.

Watch out for the earlier Ram 1500 diesels. My brother in law had a bearing go on his at 70k miles and according to the dealer it's alarming common for those trucks. I can't speak for the newer ones however.

jaytaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 2020 Sierra half-ton with the inline 6 (3.0) Duramax. I routinely got around 26mpg when not towing. Of course when towing, got only around 15 or 16 (lightweight cargo trailer/camper). Because it was the stupid carbon fiber bed, I couldn't put a Decked drawer system in it, and no shell would fit due to the contour of the bed rails. After deciding I had to have both the new Decked drawer system AND a shell, I traded it in on a 2024 Sierra half-ton, also with the Duramax 3.0 six cylinder. I don't know the reasons why but GM refreshed the 3.0 Diesel I think in 2023. So now I have the new one. I absolutely love them. They are quiet, strong, very strong, and get better gas mileage than my wife's Subaru. I typically go 75-80 on the interstate when we are heading to dog training or hunting, it carries 4 guys and three dogs comfortably, all the shotguns fit in the Decked system and it rides like a dream. Most riders can't even tell it's shifting with the 10 speed transmission.

I can't speak to durability over the long haul because I haven't had them that long. In terms of additional costs, you have DEF, which I have to add about every 5000 miles unless I'm towing. When you tow, it sucks DEF.

I was surprised but what little additional cost the 3.0 Duramax added to the truck, I think it was only about a $3500 premium, and I think it's well worth it. With a 24 gallon tank, the computer usually tells me I have about a 575 mile range.

Hope this helps.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
This guy is right on the ram 1500 eco diesel and the baby powerstroke.

He is wrong on the 3.0 duramax. The emission system is all under the hood on these. Not sure how they did it but they made it reliable. 28 mpg my buddy is getting in the mountains of pa. He got 37 on his way to Maine. The 3.0 will be my next truck in 2 years or so.

I got near 150 thousand on my 14 6.6 duramax. It’s been a great reliable truck but it is deleted. 16 mpg is getting old.

Can you explain a little more in depth on the differences and why you disagree?

I'm 2 days into learning the Duramax exists, and three hours into learning there's a ram and power stroke.

Very ignorant to it all.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I don't know the reasons why but GM refreshed the 3.0 Diesel I think in 2023. So now I have the new one. I

Oh! I do know this one. The oil pump was changed from a rubber belt to a gear and chain, and a couple minor other things. Replacing either requires removal of the transmission and the chain is intended to be more durable than the belt.

180ls1

WKR

I'm 2 days into learning the Duramax exists, and three hours into learning there's a ram and power stroke.

Very ignorant to it all.

Ram/Jeep discontinued theirs
Ford Discontinued theirs
Toyota never brought theirs here
VW discontinued theirs (they sold a ton)
Nissan discontinued theirs

Right now GM seems to be the only one selling a baby diesel and it seems impressive. However, there is usually hype around newer diesels by the fan boys, many times they fall short. We will know a lot more 5+ years down the road.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider

Very ignorant to it all.
Admittedly I am a diesel fan. It’s a far superior fuel source imo. Driving up a mountain in a diesel is like god putting his hand on the back of your truck and pushing you up it. Where as a gas is like your being pulled up a mountain.

However to answer your question. The ram and powerstroke both got worse fuel mileage and the reliability was not there. I have not owned either. However I read a lot of forums such as this and the forums I read in addition to this one are truck forums. In the end the fuel mileage mixed with the reliability factor did not make sense in the ram or ford.

Likewise I know two guys who own the 3.0 duramax. Neither has had emission issues. Neither has had reliability issues outside of some sort of coolant temp module on the one. The emission system that is typically found under the truck on 3/4 ton diesels are located under the hood of the mini duramax. I have not read of many def or dpf issues in the mini duramax. The biggest issues on modern diesels are the injection system (cp4 pump in the older dmax and Cummins still used on the 6.7 powerstroke) and the emission systems. If you eliminate or make the emission system reliable modern diesels still get the mileage to make them worth well. The only other “concern” is the oil pump is belt driven on the 3.0 duramax. In order to replace they have to split the tranny from the engine. However I think the duty cycle on that belt is now 150000 miles. Most guys trade trucks in before 150.

The other engine option in the gm/chevy is the 6.2 (I believe ) gas engine that had the cylinder deactivation system. Supposedly this system causes severe problems.

I honestly believe the most reliable engine in a Chevy or gm 1500 is the 3.0.

As for the poster above me the 3.0 came out 5 years ago. I still don’t hear much negative about it. That includes my buddy who has one in his Tahoe as well

180ls1

WKR
The other engine option in the gm/chevy is the 6.2 (I believe ) gas engine

Incorrect. There are 4 engine options currently probably more depending on the models.

As for the poster above me the 3.0 came out 5 years ago. I still don’t hear much negative about it. That includes my buddy who has one in his Tahoe as well

Yeah, the reports are good but give 5 years isn't nearly enough IMO. Especially when the OP is asking about 500K miles. Remember, the cummins was great in the titan until... the 6.0 PS was a huge improvement over the 7.3 until... the 6.4 PS fixed all those issues until... I could go on.

I am not saying the baby dmax is going to be one of them but its not something to be confident in just yet. I watched a buddy put $12,000 of injector replacements into his duramax by the time it had 150K.

Last edited:

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Incorrect. There are 4 engine options currently.

Yeah, the reports are good but give 5 years isn't nearly enough IMO. Especially when the OP is asking about 500K miles. Remember, the cummins was great in the titan until... the 6.0 PS was a huge improvement over the 7.3 until... the 6.4 PS fixed all those issues until... I could go on.

I am not saying the baby dmax is going to be one of them but its not something to be confident in just yet. I watched a buddy put $12,000 of injector replacements into his duramax by the time it had 150K.
To be fair the 6.0 and 6.4 were both train wrecks just about from day one. Anyone who trusted ford enough to buy a 6.4 after the 6.0 has had a lobotomy. It’s a shame because the 08-10 fords looked great. At the end of the day expecting 500000 out of any vehicle 8 times out of 10 is not going to happen. Hell I have 140 on my 6.6 dmax and the rust is starting to bother me. The only way to get close to 500000 miles mostly trouble free in a 3/4 ton or bigger diesel pickup today is to get away from the cp4 pump if applicable and delete the emissions.

I’ve owned this one for 70000 miles. So far my expenses look like this.

Thermostat 400
Fuel regulator (upgraded to protect cp4 failure not needed per se nothing was physically broke) 700
tcm module around 1000
Ball joints 300 or so

That’s in 5 years now of ownership. I blew the thermostats out towing equipment back from camp pounding on it. I was overweight so I will take the blame for that. I’ve had great luck with both of my regular cab Chevy trucks.

180ls1

WKR
To be fair the 6.0 and 6.4 were both train wrecks just about from day one. Anyone who trusted ford enough to buy a 6.4 after the 6.0 has had a lobotomy. It’s a shame because the 08-10 fords looked great. At the end of the day expecting 500000 out of any vehicle 8 times out of 10 is not going to happen. Hell I have 140 on my 6.6 dmax and the rust is starting to bother me. The only way to get close to 500000 miles mostly trouble free in a 3/4 ton or bigger diesel pickup today is to get away from the cp4 pump if applicable and delete the emissions.

I’ve owned this one for 70000 miles. So far my expenses look like this.

Thermostat 400
Fuel regulator (upgraded to protect cp4 failure not needed per se nothing was physically broke) 700
tcm module around 1000
Ball joints 300 or so

That’s in 5 years now of ownership. I blew the thermostats out towing equipment back from camp pounding on it. I was overweight so I will take the blame for that. I’ve had great luck with both of my regular cab Chevy trucks.

I hope it continues. I'll be truck shopping in a couple years and the 3.0 is on my list.

You raise a good point about weight. The amount of overloaded mid sized trucks is problematic. Lift them and put bigger tires on as well and everything gets even worse. I see it all the time with overland tacomas, it really does not take much.