1/2 Bag Sleeping bags?

three5x5s

WKR
Anyone using a 1/2 bag with a down jacket for their sleep system?? I was looking at the Montbell outlet and seen they had 25-30% off the Down Hugger full bags and 1/2 bags. If you are already carrying a good puffy the 1/2 could be an option. Little less bulk in the pack. Doesn't look like it saves any weight. thoughts

fatlander

WKR
I see more downside than up. For me, my puffy is an extra level of comfort if my bag can’t quite get it done comfortably. Or if I wet my puffy out, it’d be really nice to know I can get in a warm bag at night.

You can get a WM or FF full bag that’ll keep you comfortable down below freezing for dang near the same weight as that half bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
Only advantage I could see is less bulk in your pack, that's why I ask. I'm a side sleeper and turn from one side to the other a lot, Looks like the 1/2 bag would need to turn with you instead of you turning inside the bag. The 25 degree Montbell Hugger full bags weighs less then the 1/2 bag. Its just and ounce but still.

Why not just scrap the bag altogether and run a down puffy jacket and pant? That’ll save some bulk in your pack.

I personally would find another area to scale back on weight and pack space.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, I do. It's my spike out from my spike out system. I ALWAYS have my down puffy with me and most of the time I carry the patagonia half bag with me. I can stay out fairly comfy overnight.......the limiting factor is my sleep pad for that system and it's only a nemo switchback which is my glassing pad. It ain't the Taj mahal but it's actually doable.

Randy

“travel light, freeze at night” - random baby ranger

Take you current sleeping bag and puffy jacket and sleep with your bag around your waist next trip. You will figure out pretty quick if it is for you.

those things used to be very popular with the alpine crowd before ultralight packing was a thing. Adventure racers, fast packers and the hard core oz counters love them. Honestly, the difference in weight is probably a pound And your gonna need a pretty heavy jacket to make up for the lack of coverage. If I were gonna try it, I might think about a lighter weight, higher rated conventional bag (40-50*) and wearing all my layers. Just make sure you have a bail out plan or can build a fire if it doesn’t work out. Lots of ways I think think of to lighten a load that much without compromising my sleep comfort.

I do it all the time, I tend to unzip my puffy and use it as a upper quilt.
It's a weird feeling for me to just wear the jacket but I've done it both ways