0-400 whitetail scope, woods, fields, low light

KenLee

WKR
Guess Im not following…maybe the pictures were more misleading than I thought, but the reticle is very similar to a standard leupold duplex, the thicker posts are virtually indistinguishable and the center area is just a small amount bigger (5mils to either side vs about 3). I agree its finer than I prefer for hunting in the woods, but its not so different from reticles people think nothing of using in those conditions that it should elicit a really strong response.

I should have added that in my home state, "legal" hunting time for game animals is an hour before sunrise and an hour after sunset.

Macintosh

WKR
It’ll do fine. They are literally made for hunting at night.
Edit: I should add that you might be right, reticle might not be for you, just that its not so different from what so many people use that I think its worth trying before dismissing. Large parts of europe has NO hunting hours, so lots of euro brands make scopes intended for use at night, they do pretty darn well in low light here too. It wouldn't be my first choice for a reticle that never leaves the woods, but for hunting over fields and occasional trips west, and mixing in a good amount of thick woods and post-twilight deer hunting, it really is fine.

Last edited:

sdupontjr

WKR
I'm in south Louisiana and I hunt basically what you described but mostly hardwoods. You mention low light as one of your needs. I can tell you from "my" experience, that the klassik and trijicon are very nice in low light.

I had a 2.5-10x56 SB Klassik with the #4 illuminated dot that I used for a while. Very nice scope at about $1000 when I bought it. I ended up talking to a guy on another forum who was the "low light guru" and he mentioned the SB Polar. The Polar is the best out there in terms of low light performance but also much more than your budget allows. I bought once and cried once and the 4-16x56 Polar sits on my 308.

The Trijicon Accupint is also a great low light optic and also very lite for its size. I bought my son one of these 2.5-10x56 for his Rem 700 and for the money, I'll put it right up there with the Klassik as far as low light goes. At least to my eyes, some may disagree. The tritium illumination is always on and is daylight bright, but as the sun fades, so does the dot. So as the illumination fades, its just faint enough that you can get quick acquisition of the target, but its dim enough so it doesn't over power your pupil in low light.

My best friend has a Nightforce NSX, very nice scope, but when the sun starts to set, it fades very quickly. He bought it due to the relability of the internals and the nightforce name, however if I'm hunting low light, I'd pick the Klassik or Trijicon over the Nightforce everytime. My sond accupoint is brighter than his $2000 NXS when "primetime" sunset comes.

As far as the SWFA, I've never looked through one, but there are enough folks on here that can give you an honest assesment on that line.

So given the terms you mentioned, I would look for a Klassik or Accupoint in that price range.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Roughly Zeiss V4
How rough we talking? Lol I’ve looked thru an accupoint and I’ve looked thru a v4 but I haven’t used them. The view was very good thru both. Both wowed me with brightness.

KenLee

WKR
How rough we talking? Lol I’ve looked thru an accupoint and I’ve looked thru a v4 but I haven’t used them. The view was good.
In low light the V4 seems just a hair more usuable in open field, powerline, and food plots. Hunting in woods or looking into a dark woodline, the V4 and Trijicon are essentially the same.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
In low light the V4 seems just a hair more usuable in open field, powerline, and food plots. Hunting in woods or looking into a dark woodline, the V4 and Trijicon are essentially the same.
I’ve never seen a Huron to look thru. The price is very attractive especially if the glass matches a credo-accupoint without illumination.

YotaEER

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at Razor LHT or Burris XTR3i if you can deal with a little more weight

OP
DangerRanger
Have had lht, fantastic reticle imo. Shot a big buck with one last year. Hated the parallax and mag retention

xtr3 mil reticle sucks (for me, for this)

Thanks everyone, gonna place a 3-9hd backorder and try to snag a S&B when they come in.